Local Beach: portland
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Landing Jumps on an Ozone Edge

Postby mike1978 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi,

I`ve just switched to Ozone Edges which i`m really enjoying but i`m having a bit of trouble landing my jumps!

I`ve a fairly experienced kiter (about 8 years) and never had trouble landing before!

Previously, i rode North Dices and when boosting, i `d send the kite back to 1 o clock and then as i descended, i send the kite back down and just as i began to feel the pull, i`d redirect it back up and have a really nice soft landing with the kite powered to ride away nice. I also rode Rebels aswell previous to the Dices which i had no problem with either

With the edge, i`m getting extra height as you`d expect with this kite normally 6,7, 8m jumps most of the time. I send it back to 1 o clock where i leave the kite, then bring it back over and as i descend bring the kite down for my landing - whats happening though, as i hit the water, i `ve no power in the kite and i tend to plop into the water fairly heavily and the kite is right out over at 9/10 o clock now.

Its like its sitting further back in the window (which i`d expect as it goes upwind so well and thats where the edge sits), but i`ve seen loads of kiters boosting just as high with the edge and landing nicely.

I must be doing something wrong! I`m tempted to to try downlooping as i come down, but i don`t see other riders regularly doing this and landing fine with just redirecting the kite back down.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers, Mike

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Landing Jumps on an Ozone Edge

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey,
What size edges? The timing is a little different depending on size. I'm rolling 13m and 10m edge.

I think you maybe holding the edge back too long and stalling your forward speed and redirecting too late. The dice uses a more C kite technique which is hold the kite back then whip it fast across the zenith on the way down. This doesn't work to well on the edge

The edge likes speed, kite speed and board speed. If you stall your forward speed you can loose power and drop faster.

So go as fast as you can to jump. Then when your at a good height bring the kite back the zenith. If your in the air for a long time (very likely with a powered boost, particularly boosting off a wave lip) move the kite forward and back past the zenith.

On the way down let the bar out. This will make you drop faster. But it also speeds the kite up. redirect as normal. (Probably a bit earlier than the Dice as it turns slower). Just before landing bar in hard. That gives your a nice soft landing.

If you have left the kite back for too long and your coming down fast then go for a forward hand heli loop/downloop.

Once you get the technique dialled you can do a massive jump and land super soft without needing to heliloop/downloop.

mike1978
Rare Poster

Postby mike1978 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:37 pm

That's great - thanks for the tips :-)

It's an 11m and 8m I ride.

I think letting the bar out as I descend sounds like something I might be missing ,

Just need to get myself dialled into the technique with them I reckon!
Cheers, Mike

mike1978
Rare Poster

Postby mike1978 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi,

Been out a few times now and thanks for advice. I `ve found that as you said the edge likes to be flown about whilst in the air before redirecting down for the landing.

Thanks again, Mike

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I have actually tried the Edge 12m for the first time last week. I have flown only f-one bandit before.
Wind wasn't that strong, woo registered 6m jump, I was actually surprised how easy it was to get soft landing compared to bandit. Most of my landing where 1G to 2G which is super smooth!
Most of my bandit landing are usually 2.5G to 4G

Though 90% of the time I downloop kite on landing so I can't really give you an advice. Kite also has more hangtime than bandit, you go up and come back down slowly. Kite felt has fast as bandit too.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:29 pm

You have got that Ozone feel! I also had problems but when you move to Ozone, everything changes, usually for the better. I ride a 9 and my 11 should be arriving this week. On the 9 I find it really does like to move around in the hangtime, and definitely bar out just for 1/2 a sec to speed its descent downwind, but then pull hard to flare for landing. Also try depowering by about 1/2 an inch. I found that the little bead that engages the stainless hook must be firmly located. Watch it when you power up, at full power, the stainless thing must not tilt otherwise your front lines are not even.
Best Kite out there!!! I often see mine outperform bigger kites in light airs, My wife rides down to 13knots, but she weighs XXXkilos (Ouch! just got slapped) I am 72 Kg and ride down to 11 knots, and even pull jumps as low as 13....

mike1978
Rare Poster

Postby mike1978 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:17 pm

I`m 77kg ish and have been riding my 8m 90% of the time since i got them (think i have been on the 11m once!)

I have to admit, the low end and upwind ability is amazing - there were several people out on sunday on bigger kites and i was heading upwind better by a country mile. I find on the 8, i ride down to the wind averaging 22ish kts and i`m still upwind easily and getting decent jumps. I`ve also had it out gusting up to 40kts ish so good range.

I think that sounds right - flying it around whilst in the air and then letting the bar out and then pulling in just before you to flare it out.

My mate was watching me and he said when i was getting high (for me!) (I`m up around 7m ish normally according to my woo), he said i wasn`t flying the kite (guess i was just taking in the view!).

After then i made a concious effort to fly it a lot more while in the air and my G landings were around 2-2.5 after then instead of 3.5.

I `ll make sure i also pull that bar in just before landing from now on aswell.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:07 am

Im glad this thread got brought up again - I just started riding my new 13m Edge V8 and am in love. I had some issues timing the load n pop as I was so used to my Catalyst which redirect a lot faster. I had another session today and followed some advice from another thread.

My issue was swinging too far under the kite and over rotating a bit too much. I figured out this was from starting my jumps pointed too much upwind as the Edge flies upwind faster and better than Im used to. Also I was not giving enough bar input to redirect as I was used to the quicker movement of the Cat. The 13 Edge has me boosting almost 2x higher and floating 2x longer... loving it. This kite really likes to build power and Ive noticed that it takes a few seconds longer to get up to speed for a jump - but once its loaded up it def unleashes some nice boosts. If you are used to using Hybrid C it takes a bit to get used to. Im still dialing it in, but getting better each time out.

I had it out in light wind the other day (LW defined for me as 11-13 knots) and I was ripping around on my 155 door board with ease upwind with some nice jumps using wave lips as ramps. I think I could even use it just fine at 10 kts with that same board.

But the sweet spot for me at 75KG with the 13m on my 139 TT is 15-17 knots

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:34 am

I'm having some issues with big jumps over 11 meters with the 9m v8. No matter how much I fly it, still wants to rush back over my head before the landing. 10 meters and less it seems to stay in the zone. No problems when I'm on the 7 and higher than 11 meters but I suspect it's due to a faster and more responsive kite size. Just feeling a bit nervous to pull a loop on the 9 to correct the kite at the moment.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:13 pm

flybykite wrote:I'm having some issues with big jumps over 11 meters with the 9m v8. No matter how much I fly it, still wants to rush back over my head before the landing. 10 meters and less it seems to stay in the zone. No problems when I'm on the 7 and higher than 11 meters but I suspect it's due to a faster and more responsive kite size. Just feeling a bit nervous to pull a loop on the 9 to correct the kite at the moment.
flybykite how are you?

I use the Edges for Airstyle here in Brazil. I run them on a north bar (slows them down a bit 4-5cm smaller I think). But I've also added 3m line extensions to my 25m lines. This changes the game completely.

I run my 15m kite 25kns plus and jumps are well over 11m. With the edge there is also an art to throwing the kite and leaving it at 2 or 11 depending on your direction. Then as your getting close to the water bring it overhead to produce a nice landing

The edge can also heli loop (rev-forward) really well if your kite has come out in front or for skiing, dark slides Jesus walks, foot drags etc. Just need to reach up and grab the foam protector just above the bar and pull :)

The V8 15m is the best jumping kite I've ever seen!!! I want to swap my 2013 15m - 19m for V8's so bad!!!! The hang time is just retarded. with this kite you need to start combining your tricks because you have so much time "board throw then tail throw" lol...... have a beer.... land.

Cheers
T
Last edited by s1buell_wl on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”