bouclette
Rare Poster
Gear: Too many
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Fuerteventura in January

Postby bouclette » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi guys,

I'm going to spend 5 days at the end of Jan in Fuerte and was wondering if you could give some advice on best places to stay / kite at that time of the year. How choppy is Flag beach at that time of the year? Is there any other spots between Corralejo and Rosario?

I'm taking the foil board and TT so should be able to kite from 7/8kts. Broke the surf board last week so this one will stay home... Kite wise, I'll probably take 7, 10 and 13m. If 17m fits, I'll take it too unless you think I will never need 7 and I'd rather take the big one instead?

Going there with the family so I'm looking for a place that's friendly for them too. Is it worth being towards the center of the Island or the north is definitely better? Not keen at all on the holiday parks.

Thanks,

Ben

bouclette
Rare Poster

Re: Fuerteventura in January

Postby bouclette » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Since nobody has answered, I'll give a quick feedback on my trip:

If you have a foil board, this is a perfect time to go as it is the low season so not too crowded and flights are cheap. I've been able to kite every day with either 13 or 10m on both TT and foil.
We stayed in Lajares which is a very nice village 15mins drive from Flag beach and 10mins drive from El Cotillo. Far enough from the ugly touristic resorts on the east coast and close enough to El Cotillo to have a nice surfer mood.
Flag beach is ok for foiling but there are a few rocks around so need to stay away from the shore. Water is cristal clear and a 4/3 or 3/2 is preferable. I've had a good time on the TT as well but it is quite choppy so not the best location ever for sure.
We went to Sotavento for a day. The lagoon is beautiful but gets crowded with 10 kites and you only need one or 2 people that don't give a crap about priorities / people around them to mess up the day. I had an awsome time on the foil outside the lagoon though. The good thing about the lagoon is that the kids can play in the shallow water without the parents stressing too much.

Overall, I think we've had the perfect location for a familly / kite holiday and I will for sure come back as soon as I can. I doubt the summer month are that nice though as I would guess the beaches become over crowded.

Ben

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear you scored some wind. How many days would you have been able to ride the TT? What windspeeds did you get?

bouclette
Rare Poster

Postby bouclette » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:40 am

Hi Strekke,

I don't really like going on the TT below 20kts so out of the 6 days I was there, that would have been only one day (one morning actually...).
Wind ranged between 8/10 up to 22/25kts. Always from NE, including in Sotavento.
I guess if you have a foil kite, then you could have been out on the TT pretty much every day.
Also worth taking a surfboard, swell looked very nice.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to “Travel”