Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Torch bar

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Recently moved over to 2014 Naish torch's and love them.... but the 5 line shift bar...grrrr :angryfire:

Any tips ? every time is do a rotational trick the 5 line wraps around the center line high up the "Y" split, so it makes it hard to see which way to unspin. I have taken to pulling the twists down the "Y" and unhooking with the kite over head and spinning the chicken loop, but that can take a while and is hard to know which way to spin. Does the release work fine with 10 to 15 twists in it ? (looks like it would as it's all high up the "Y)

Any other bars work well on the torch ?
Also the 5th line became really slack after a few sessions (all brand new). I laid out the bar on the park and on full power the 5th line was about 25cm shorter. I compensated this by putting a new
knot higher on the kite 5th line, is this a normal tuning issue due to front line stretch ?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Torch bar

Postby Starsky » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:47 pm

I don't think there is any real solution. Having that really high Y and the wirey nature of the lines does allow for quite a few twists without compromising the 5th as a safety, but its for sure an old school system where you just have to keep rough track of your rotations and do them in both directions. Have unhooked to untwist like you describe many times. Re trimming to eliminate slack in the 5th is also pretty standard I think. I have only had to do it once, on my torch bar and took out the slack when swapping out the strap for a cleat.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks. Anyone other ideas ?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Swap the chicken loop for one with below bar swivel.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:58 pm

it does get twisted up though which is real annoying - sometimes even if you untwist down below - twists turn up higher! teh other fail - kite rolls between 5th line and outer line - soooo annoying - but you take the rough with the smooth! still great kites...

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:28 am

I fly it on a North 5th element bar with below bar swivel
it took a fair bit of retuning of the front and back line lengths to get it to fly right

But I got the bar throw where I wanted it, and got a below bar swivel.

Only downside is the north bar has longer depower range, you can easily depower the torch on the 5th element to the point where it will have difficulty relaunching as you can't get enough tension on the rear lines to pull the wing tips.

Knowing this you can just power up the kite on the trim strap to get it to relaunch if you eat it.

shift bar is rubbish.
I think they mispelled it....not supposed to have the f..

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:11 am

lol, damn i just missed out on a north 5th element bar for cheap... and 22m line which i like better than 24

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:47 am

Cheers guys. I seem to still be doing my lines when my mates have rigged up and are out on the water already. :-?
I was looking at the RRD Pro 5th line bar, looks like it could work well.
The other idea I had is to change the small metal clip on the chicken loop so you could take the end of the 5th line out and manually unspin around the chicken loop without having to unhook.

RDM
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby RDM » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Why not integrate a more swivel friendly chicken loop/de-power line into the Shift system, its very easy to do..... :thumb:

Have tried the North 5th E on my Torches but even after extensive tuning the kites just fly ALOT better on the Shift system..... no big shock to be honest

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:52 pm

I probably have good memory...
Always know in which direction my last tricks were.
Even with twisted 5th it works perfect in case of emergency although,riding suiside doesn't matter that much.
Is the look of twisted lines the annoying part or the functionality?
Rode North kites long enough and to be honest I like the bar mostly because, the thin auto orientating part of cl below the bar /the swivel/ - I can handle the bar better with split fingers. The Naish CL contacts directly to the bar and it is thicker. On the other hand has less bulky plastics...

Return to “Kitesurfing”