Yeah that whole sanding thing really pissed me off. Finally got all the surfaces ready for carbon and definitely going about it differently this time.
If you want to follow some small updates through instagram I'm tagging (and back tagged) all my posts with #nomadfoil.
Right now I've gotten a layer of 6oz twill CF on both sides of my fuselage (with it overlapping on my at the top and bottom surfaces + triaxial glass underneath it. Trying to decide if I want to or need to put on more since it's already feels REALLY stiff. Definitely going to put some reinforcement patches at the nose and tail where they are most likely to get banged around in the water and car. And other than putting more carbon to stiffen/ blend the mast into the fuselage I think I'm good for the fuselage.
Now the mast still needs a few layers since I didn't get to put on my full layup when I had my hardener miscalculation. Then attach it permanently to the baseplate (lots of CF).
Wings need to get a layer of 6oz CF twill then they'll be done. Wondering if I should put on a layer of 4 or 2oz glass on top of the CF just to make them a little more ding resistant, or just do a heavy sanding coat?
And for the board I still need to figure out what I'm doing. Not sure if it will float, so I'm wondering if bolting it to a skim would be a good idea... or should I try to do a simple XPS board (no rocker table, just carving and laminating) that will have tracks in them (like the alien air). I HAD a beat up Lost V3 that had the nose broken off but it had tons of dents in it that seemed like a pain in the ass to put more glass/ CF on for reinforcement.
Got some cheap G10 wings from a school when a student mangled them good. Which is great since I won't have to try to fix the meathook abortion experimental lamination technique that I tried on the fins. Do need to slightly adjust the hole pattern but that's a couple minute job.
Mast got another layer of 5.7oz 12k unil and 6oz 3k twill CF, with no air bubbles! Trimmed the excess on the trailing edge and need to sand it down to it's final trailing edge thickness. Only construction bit left to do it trim it to it's final length.
Baseplate still needs to go on, got some good CF trimmings/ scraps for building up that transition.
Once the baseplate is on I'll "hotcoat" the fuselage/mast/baseplate with a white tint.
I snapped my 5'2" Vanguard in half jumping, not too smart on a Rapidfire construction board. So I'm going to put that back together, reinforce, and put single fin or mast tracks into that for my board.
All that is left on the foil assembly is to finish reinforcing the mast to plate connection, some wing to fuselage finishing, then a white "hotcoat"
For the board I filled back in the snap in my vanguard with PU pour foam, and ordered fin boxes and T-nuts from Chinook. Going to work on reinforcing the snapped joint and the topside of the board while I wait for the boxes to come in. Was tempted to get one of those Houston Kiteboarding stick on mounts until I saw the price O.O ($160). When the boxes come in I'll finish reinforcing the bottom and throw those boxes in.