Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby airsurfer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am

Around 88kg without gear. I've only tried the GandW carver setup twice once powered up with Edge 9m and once in very light wind with 12M Reo so I don't really have enough time or experience on it to give a fair comparison. I do like the Carver it's very smooth and stable it defintely excells at carving as the name implies. It feels slow and draggy coming off the spitfire and is harder to turn you really feel the chop and white water more and if you breach the front wing theres not much chance of recovery. That's really all I can say except that I'd like to have more time on it.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 am

My last session was on the Spitfire and it was a bit of a next level moment for me.
I started off and there was no tune in time. It just felt normal.
I felt more relaxed and was looking to push things.
My new normal.
The Black&white is now for customer demo only.

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 pm

My new normal.
The Black&white is now for customer demo only.
:rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:
same here. i did some speed runs today (on top of usual carving feast). i take back what i wrote about spitfire feeling little slower than spotz2. this thing can go really fast. airsurfer nailed it. Spit is good at all speeds, noticeably smoother in chop. love it more every day

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 am

i sold my carbon foil and board recently and am waiting for the new board to come in for both my foils

so this week I've been using the spitfire exclusively with my skim, holy shit same here, its a next level experience with the chop shit wave mess

after three 4-5 hour days the foil is very comfortable now including pumping it, which is using both feet turns out

on the wave face you just shut off the kite and go

i believe a key to this foil is some type of wave board, instead of trying to stay on the foil the whole time and viewing touch downs as failure the touch downs should be viewed as part of the ride and the carves, the foil pops right up since in the carve ur weight is mostly on the back foot, but when the board is in the water in the wave you can ride it like a regular surf. an example being coming into a toe side carve on the wave your board hits the water by accident, ur able to slow down enough and continue the carve using the board so that the power of the wave actually pops u back on the foil instead of the kite, just keep moving :)

transitions are still a bitch thou and i am not sure how to do them strapless yet

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:52 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am
Around 88kg without gear. I've only tried the GandW carver setup twice once powered up with Edge 9m and once in very light wind with 12M Reo so I don't really have enough time or experience on it to give a fair comparison. I do like the Carver it's very smooth and stable it defintely excells at carving as the name implies. It feels slow and draggy coming off the spitfire and is harder to turn you really feel the chop and white water more and if you breach the front wing theres not much chance of recovery. That's really all I can say except that I'd like to have more time on it.
Cheers. The rideable wind is only onshore here so I need to ride slow to catch the waves . . . I need a demo :D

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:45 am

I mostly ride in onshore conditions and waves as well. Consider this in onshore wind you have limited time to get your foil out of the water especially uf you have shallow sandbars like we do. For this reason IMO low drag fast acceleration wings are great at the lower limits because they accelerate fast to reach foiling speed and build apparent wind better. As long as I have enough kite power I can pretty much get the spitfire flying on the power stroke. This is a photo of onshore conditions today my normal foils would have been a PITA to ride and get out through the shorebreak.
Attachments
IMG_61011.jpg

tree
Rare Poster

Postby tree » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi All,
I'm getting ready to take the foiling plunge. Now that some of you have spent time on the Spitfire can you guys revisit the question of whether or not this is a good choice as a first foil? I've been kiting for about 15 years, been on a surfboard exclusively for 10 years, and split time between Oregon coast, the gorge, and low-wind alpine lakes. Should I start with a conventional foil, or just start with a canard-type foil since it suits the type of riding that I will hopefully progress to? Ptraykovski - i was a chappy local for a bunch of years. Been wondering if the chappy crew was getting into foiling.
Thanks

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 pm

IMHO: the current version of Spitfire has wings a bit too small for a beginner. It needs more speed than typical beginner foil and is too lively to be comfortable for learning basic skills. It is probably as difficult as learning on a race HF. Additional wing size is due to be available around summer time (last I heard). This could possibly change the situation.
To sum up: YES it is possible to learn on it, but NO I don't recommend it to beginner (at this time).

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm with borist, it would be a pita to learn with

But possible

Zeeko
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko

Postby Zeeko » Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 am

Hi All,

here is a video showing some spitfire ability.
for information we are working on XLW wings to suit the spitfire design.

Sorry guys where I live there is almost no waves, but you could still have fun!!

ride easy
Nicolas

Return to “Hydrofoil”