Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite pulling to one side

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite pulling to one side

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:02 am

riprop,

I've got a 17m Contra that turns hard right. Once it hits 15mph and I'm tacking right I can only cruise with both hands on the left side of the bar, otherwise it's a left arm workout ;)

I tried to pinch in and pleat the same side of the canopy that it was pulling to and that didn't work. I did not have the time to try the other side as I needed to get out and kite!!!! Next time I am going to try the same pleat on the opposite side that it is pulling towards. I did this with simple duct tape. I used about 5 strips each about 1/2 inch and it lasted well into my lit session, so believe it or not you can duct tape your trailing edge of the canopy nicely and it will hold for a session most likely. Once I figure out my solution I will post the results...here is the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2394818

riprop
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Bara Grande Fortaleza Brazil
Gear: North Rebel, Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby riprop » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi,

thank you for ideas. Till now I didn't find the cause with manual inspection, will try some tips in summer when I can fly kite.

BR

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Check your bar ...

Recently I was doing some kite maintenance and was going thru my ozone kite bar ....
I was horrified to find that the safety line that flags the kite had shrunk by about 100mm, so what this meant was when I sheeted in fully , the safely line would take the tension and load the front right/left hand line ( depending how I connected the kite) and cause the kite to dive to that side

There was no problem when I trimmed the kite to depower , it is only when trimmed powered up with the bar sheeted in

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:31 pm

riprop wrote:Hi, my kite is pulling to right side, kite transition from left to right of wind window is faster than other directions, always have to pull bar to the left with more power (my left arm is more tired at the end of session). Kite is North Rebel 12 m2 year 2012. Bar and lines has been trimmed (and it works OK on other kite), length of lines and pigtails are also correct. I noticed kite is asymmetric when lying on flat surface,
IF the front-lines are the same length from the bar.

A SHORT-Term fix , if the Left arm is tired , is to shorten your front-line on the Left side
to induce a bit of a turn to the left. This will cause it to turn evenly to both directions
at ONE speed , but it will CROSS-tune your kite so it turns differently at Low and High
speeds prospectively, will Stall faster to one direction, and turn the other way at High
speeds.
If your kite is asymmetric, it will fly asymmetric ; shortening one front-line, will balance
the mid-range.

I'd start , with a 25mm to 35mm change at a time, by tying a figure-8 in the Left bridal,
where the front-line connects, (to shorten it). Measure it ; it's important !!
OR
Lengthen the Right side will do the same, (add a spacer) by making a pigtail that can
be adjusted.

Your bar might be a bit crooked now ; (shorten and Lengthen) two Back-lines, if you don't
wanna change your AOA ; or just one, and now your trim is set different.

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Sorry I did not read all the answers, my bad but you obviously have a structural problem in your kite. not that many options, you either get it repaired by a pro or you compensate by putting a pigtail on your right side (it goes left to right if I remember well). You can try the pigtail on the front lines as it will have an effect on your kite all the time, not just when sheeting in. Unfortunately the length is trial and error.

Your kite is a 2012 and its value, regardless of the shape it is in is close to 0. So is it worth putting $200-$250 on it and not be sure if it will fly straight? Only you can tell.

Cheers!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 pm

flipper231 wrote: ...

Your kite is a 2012 and its value, regardless of the shape it is in is close to 0. So is it worth putting $200-$250 on it and not be sure if it will fly straight? Only you can tell.

Cheers!
Try tuning it away like i suggested first ; cost in near minimal, $(O) .

Bille

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree with billie, small pigtails cost is low and you can keep them for later...

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Inflate your kite and hold it on the middle strut in the air like it would fly on 12. The tips have to hang down by their own weight only a few cm above the ground. Than let two friends check the position of the tips looking from the side. Mark the two positions on the ground were the front lines are attached. Draw a line between those two points. This line has to be parallel to the projection of leading edge onto the ground! If this not the case the front tube of your kite is distorted and the kite will automatically turn to the side where the frontline attachment point is further forward in relation to the leading edge.
I call it torsion test. You ll find more infos on my webpage: http://northeast-kitesurfing.de/beratung/

The distortion of the front tube can have many reasons. You have looped the kite only in one direction, there is a sewing error or you have material fatigue of the front tube (warp and weft alignment is not correct anymore). Try to get in contact with North and ask for customer service. It is an old kite but maybe they can help you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”