Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Gear: 6.5m solo, 8m wave sst, 10m lithium, 12m envy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strapless board for a big guy

Postby tavis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Volume matters in a surfboard because with more volume the switch from float to plane happens easier (ie. with less force required). If you're on a very low volume surfboard and the wave slows down a bit you slow and sink into the water easily. But with more volume the board can float you a little bit while you transition through a slow section (sort of half planing half floating). Above a certain speed threshold plane performance is solely based on planing area but because you're not always riding above this threshold volume still matters.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 am

tavis wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 pm
... but because you're not always riding above this threshold volume still matters.
LOLStfu. If you're not in planing mode you didn't pick a big enough kite or you don't have enough wind. :roll: Volume is irrelevant when kiting. Seriously, tell me all about the relevance of volume in a Spleene door, a skim board, or how important that extra half liter is when selecting a Moses foil over a MHL.

tavis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Gear: 6.5m solo, 8m wave sst, 10m lithium, 12m envy

Postby tavis » Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm

The point is that you're not always riding powered when kite "surfing". Sometimes you are drifting and actually surfing the wave and this is when volume matters.
Bushflyr wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 am
tavis wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 pm
... but because you're not always riding above this threshold volume still matters.
LOLStfu. If you're not in planing mode you didn't pick a big enough kite or you don't have enough wind. :roll: Volume is irrelevant when kiting. Seriously, tell me all about the relevance of volume in a Spleene door, a skim board, or how important that extra half liter is when selecting a Moses foil over a MHL.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri May 05, 2017 5:35 am

Sorry, still no. Answer the question, don't just go Trumpy and ignore the obvious logic in my post and spout previously debunked factoids.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 am

The only real benefit I get from boards with volume is I don't sink quite so quickly when I slow down in a lull. Width and minimal rocker win for me every time.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri May 05, 2017 3:43 pm

The dude answered clearly, your not seeing it. As big tone just pointed out there is a lower bog down point for a board with volume. If your used to riding with kite power in the equation, you may not really be at the point where that comes into play. If your riding small kites and depending on wave power your definitely going to feel it.

There is a volume point that corresponds to rider weight. At my weight (80kg) its around 30l. With a nice flat rocker, and decent width, that board will ride barely anything. It still needs a hit of kite power to make it around mush balls and what not, but it will sit in a wave and be pushed nicely, where a board with the same outline and rocker, but no volume would simply bog and the wave would move on without you.

Up over a certain speed, the volume is no longer needed. All depends on how you ride around in waves.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 am

scottnorby wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 pm
Kite power on---get to the wave and set up on the face.
Kite power off/drifting and it is all board--surfing.
Use the board to generate speed by navigating the wave face. Up to the top of the wave to reset and drop in again.

The kite, pulling too much, will not allow you to stand up and effectively SURF the wave face using only the wave's energy.

10 years of strapless riding and I'm still surprised to see so many people just towing/pulling themselves around the wave with power in the kite.

If a jetski pulls a surfer into a wave---he eventually let's go.
We can get both sensations with proper board and a kite that drifts well.

It really depends on how you want to surf/ride.

Volume really helps in light wind obviously.
So it's also obvious that riding a wave (slow speed in relation to being towed) without kite power will require adequate volume.

Less kite---more volume-- is an amazing way to ride for some.
Feels much more like surfing to me...and I've surfed 30 years.
Try it---get it on a wave and let the kite drift and see how effective your current board surfs at low speed.
I've had dozens of boards under 6 foot and at 215lbs most kiteboards don't make sections in the wave and basically sink during slow speed transitions.
+1 Small kite big board is the way I enjoy the surf too. 6'4" 215 lbs.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 pm

There is a volume point that corresponds to rider weight. At my weight (80kg) its around 30l.
30L? Seems like a pretty corky board for someone at that weight, unless you are riding pretty light wind conditions. I am a little under that and most people I know are on 20-25L at that weight. We ride mostly powered though.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun May 07, 2017 12:48 am

For sure, If you can't feel the float, it's not enough to make a difference through flat slower sections. I can paddle that board. Its a great shape and makes the most out of mushy beach break. Light wind/small wave quad fish. I don't kite it much these days, but switch down to a 28 litre short board once its blowing over 18 knots. Even that is more foam than many people, but after years figuring it out, I like that much volume in that type of shape. Same board I would paddle surf If I lived in a real surf spot. Im almost always on one of the smaller kites out. I see loads of people on much smaller boards, and they really don't put turns together on our weak waves. Mostly one hit wonders. They bog down as soon as they slow down. More board lets me ride the cleaner sections on the inside and generally just get more time in the sweet spot.

My personal opinion: If your kiting a smaller board than you or at least a competent surfer your size would surf, then you might as well just throw straps on that thing and go full kiter.

If you want to feel the surf, then ride a bit bigger board.... with actual foam.
Last edited by Starsky on Sun May 07, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil