bri7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dying after board start

Postby bri7 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm

walk of shame bro, walk of shame.

quick little tip for you, were going to tack out with our right foot forward.

Sit on the couch at home as you would be sat in the water with both feet stretched out equal. Now bring your left knee up, instead of tacking out 90 degrees (which is a common mistake newbs make) when you dive the kite its going to send you downwind.

You can practice the position from the couch so next time when you go out it'll be familiar. Let the front foot drift forward and bring the opposite knee up. the raised knee will bring the back end of the board towards your ass. Don't worry about staying upwind just head downwind and do the walk of shame, we've all been there.

Beardytello
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Castletown - IOM
Style: Noob!
Gear: North Evo - 14m, 9m
North Gonzalez

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am

Thought I would update this thread as after much practice I can now actually ride!

Weak side is still a bit sketchy, I'm not reliably getting up / not flying over the board, but when I do I can crank upwind. Good side I look like a pro (sort of) :lol:

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm

socommk23 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am
Move weight a bit towards front foot. And stand upright. Thatll get you moving.
That, and point your board slightly DOWNWIND

bri7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 pm

tips for upwind, depower the kite in a bit so you're not fully powered, open your chest up so take your front hand off the bar and point your finger upwind, that body movement will naturally open you up so you can look where you want to go. Also you should be shagging the bar. ;-) .......(hips thrust forward.) When I'm riding upwind I have my hand in the middle of the bar with one finger over the centre lines, this allows you to control the kite with one hand and take the hand other off.

Mike101
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: North neo 10m
Best kahoona 11.5
Best waroo pro 7m

Postby Mike101 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Big Congrats! Good to hear your confident, point-to-point will only be a few sessions away. then you need to unlearn all these reflexes in a session or two and jump

More tips for you now:
one handed bar control is great when its not gusting +10/15knt. If you have a steady wind and steady speed try releasing your front hand and turning your shoulders.
if you are massively overpowered keeping the kite very low (10ft above the water sort of thing) in a frog stance allows much better edging.
if you are underpowered riding is easier with the kite above 45deg taking more weight off the board. make fast sine movements above the 45deg mark. the run up launch from the opposite side of the window is better in light winds and you will really have to dive the kite up and down initially. you say that some of your sessions are not great- a large light wind TT board will help you here a lot if you don't have one

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 am

Beardytello wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am
Thought I would update this thread as after much practice I can now actually ride!

Weak side is still a bit sketchy, I'm not reliably getting up / not flying over the board, but when I do I can crank upwind. Good side I look like a pro (sort of) :lol:
Hey there! Long post sorry. I am finally at that stage where I am starting to forget some of the things and feelings when I first started...that being said once you get past those issues and start kicking ass don't be afraid to chime in on other beginner problems on the forums b/c I think some of us forget some of the issues going on when first learning, I'm starting to forget...sometimes a beginner that has finally got it can sometimes be helpful.

Just to give you some hope-> My first 2 weeks learning to get up was a nightmare to get to get going on my weak side, then learning to transition was another massive problem to get over on the weak side. For this reason, once I got all that dialed in I made it a point to never have a weak side. I still have a weak side when learning new tricks, but it takes one session to overcome. Jumping and being able to do rolls both directions give you a ton more reps. I have friends that after a few years still don't jump on the weak side much.

Something to help your weak side is focus on replicating/mirroring exactly what you are doing "prior" to the waterstart. I remember vividly having to move the kite extremely hard in the other direction of travel to get my body angled downwind before I power stroked the kite. This is very important. This gets your hips/board/shoulders ready to go dead downwind on the powerstroke. The only problem with this is say you are going left foot forward and you swing the kite way to the right, the kite may lose power b/c you placed it on the edge of the window. As long as you have power this is all good though. This will swing your body to the right and when you dive the hell out of the kite everything is aligned correct to haul ass downwind right away. Now, let's say you can't do this b/c it's lighter winds or you just want to get going and are getting better...still do a small wave of the kite to the right, but when you dive the hell out of the kite PUSH your left foot away from you and pull your right foot towards you. You can practice this in a chair, I did. This angles your board downwind so there is no edge even when the body is not aligned with the board. I'd say this is more important than aligning your body, but I'd suggest you do a strong wave of the kite in the opposite direction of travel to get everything aligned while learning!

I started foiling recently and I had two sessions where I was pretty much resigned to the thought one tack direction was going to be a problem for me...two session later it completely disappeared. The fundamentals of kiting are the hardest to get, but once you have them the progression is as fast as you can take it! The fundamentals will take you time though, stay patient.

Return to “Kitesurfing”