forum for kitesurfers

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Filling out Quiver--light wind

Postby joriws » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

If you love *boosting* and go for foil kite (15m) you'll immediately boost ~30% higher according to research of Kitesoul magazine with intermediate and advanced level kiters.

Picture tells (height on X-axis and distribution of probability on Y-axis):
- average LEI jump is poor Sonic15 jump - the curve peak is mean/average of reported jump.
- top dream LEI jump is average Sonic15 jump
- top jump with Sonic in conditions propose >12m
- With Sonic 11 you'd jump a bit higher than average LEI and both Kitesoul testers could jump with very little deviation among them.
woo_jumps_kitesoul_mag.png
Kitesoul mag kite test

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Filling out Quiver--light wind

Postby jeromeL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

For me straight up boosting on a 14m isn't that fun anymore, I prefer working on low power tricks: backroll, frontroll, hand drag transition, rotation with late loop, dark slide, unhook.. 15-20 is perfect for those.

You can't really boost big in less than 22-25 knots, well there are some gear that definitely can do it in 15-20 but that's not really for me.

Anyway, just thought I mentioned it because you want to boost high in 15-20 ... you just started kiting so depending on $$$ you can consider other things to do. 15-20 is fine on 10 for low power stuff and consider you have a surfboard as well you might not need anything else.

Having said that if I was going to get a new quiver I might go 8 - 10 - 14. (14 or 13 I guess).
It's rare to see a 17m out when I can't go out with 14, maybe only 1 or 2 knots difference so depends what spot you kite at but if people are having fun on 17 then it's definitely enough for my 14 and fun on small gusts ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”