Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No instructors in the area (Kansas City Missouri)

forum for kitesurfers

kcmokiting
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: Rental
Brand Affiliation: None

No instructors in the area (Kansas City Missouri)

Postby kcmokiting » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi everyone new to this forum and the sport. I've slowly been piecing together a full set of gear for myself to get into kite boarding. I've been also looking for groups in my area that teach kite boarding. The situation I've run into is after probably 2 or 3 months of actually trying to get in touch with these instructors I have had absolutely zero luck. At this point I've resigned myself to either one having to wait another year to where I can afford to travel out of state and get lessons somewhere else in the country or try and teach myself. I figured I'd ask if this is actually a viable option of teaching myself or if it probably would be better to wait another year?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Re: No instructors in the area

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:37 pm

kcmokiting wrote: Hi everyone new to this forum and the sport. I've slowly been piecing together a full set of gear for myself to get into kite boarding. I've been also looking for groups in my area that teach kite boarding. The situation I've run into is after probably 2 or 3 months of actually trying to get in touch with these instructors I have had absolutely zero luck. At this point I've resigned myself to either one having to wait another year to where I can afford to travel out of state and get lessons somewhere else in the country or try and teach myself. I figured I'd ask if this is actually a viable option of teaching myself or if it probably would be better to wait another year?
Welcome to the sport ;)

Where are you located?

I would say it's possible to teach yourself at a spot that has other kiters but if no one is there to tell you whether the spot is safe and guide you it might not be a good idea.
You don't know if your local spot is safe. Is wind messed up, current, rocks under water ... ?
You don't know what size kite to use.
No one to really watch out for you on water.

On the other hand if it's safe spot with steady wind you can probably learn in safe way if you make sure you go over all security features....

Anyway it's hard to tell you, you can't do it alone but there are many stories of people learning the hard way by themselves 10/15 years ago, including my instructor ;)
New gear has a lot more security features but you still need to learn how to use those...

I took some lessons but went over so much youtube content prior to lessons that I already knew which exercise to practice while in water and instructor was there to give me only a couple of tips but mostly for renting out gear and it was nice to have someone sort of watching you while on the water...
Though it's always nice to have other people around to tell you which kite size and to use and which spot are going to have good wind and such...

I suggest you get a cheap/used trainer kite and start with that, checking out youtube video on what kind of training exercise you can do. Perhaps that will give you a better idea

kcmokiting
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: Rental

Re: No instructors in the area

Postby kcmokiting » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm in Kansas City Missouri. Like I said I found a group in the area but can't tell if they are active or not due to no responses from anyone. However the website they have did list numerous safe areas to kite board in. Wind here tends to be pretty constant and from all the forum digging and various areas I've looked I've already picked up a kite that should be fairly decent for most conditions I'll be finding

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Re: No instructors in the area (Kansas City Missouri)

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 am

Seems to me that if it was a great place for kiteboarding there would be kiteboarders in the area and you could find them by spotting the kites in the air.

I spent a few years flogging myself trying by trying to learn on North Georgia lakes. Progression came so much faster after moving to the windy coast in 2006.

That said, if I were teaching myself inland with no lessons I would:

1) Master the trainer kite

2) Learn to enjoy kite skateboarding on land. Check out some of the Flysurfer Peak videos to get an idea. 3-6 meter kite on a smooth surface like pavement in light wind has relatively low risk

3) Learn to enjoy kite ATB in grass. Needs a little more power - bigger kite or more wind

4) Gather the cash for a trip to OBX or SPI where I would take 1 lesson before proceeding in the water. You just can't beat shallow flat warm water and steady wind for learning.

Jake

Beardytello
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Castletown - IOM
Style: Noob!
Gear: North Evo - 14m, 9m
North Gonzalez

Postby Beardytello » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am

I was in a similarish situation, despite living on a windy island in the middle of the Irish Sea and there being an active kiting community I couldn't get lessons, no one taught over here. It actually took me 2 years from deciding I wanted to kite to actually getting my hands on a kite.

I would 100% recommend lessons, as challenging as it might seem to arrange, just figure it out, save up and find a school with acommodation. If I was going to do it all again I'd go to Tarifa for a week or something and get a good solid block of training in.

To try and highlight how useful it is, I had an initial lesson for safety in November last year, I bought my own gear after that and practised on my own, basically I progressed but REALLY slowly, after 6 months I still couldn't waterstart, I could get up but fall back over and over and over again. Frustrating as hell.

I went on holiday with my family and there happened to be a kite school near by, took a 3 hour private lesson for 100 EURO's and they sorted me out, immediately identified what I was doing wrong and corrected it....I can now ride downwind, 3 hours of lessons corrected a mistake I wasn't aware of for 6 months! I watched EVERY youtube video, I asked for advice on here, as helpful as that is it's nothing compared to someone who knows what they're doing watching what you're doing.

Anyway, that's my opinion, coming from an excited noob who's kiting in a few hours after work :D

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 pm

I would suggest that your best bet for starting out is to go to one of the spots when it's windy and see if there are actually people kiting.

after your initial lessons, it is really best to be near other kiters in case something goes wrong, which can happen very quickly, especially on an inland gusty lake where the wind can change very fast. so if no one is replying to your messages and you don't see any local kiters, it may be best to wait until you can just take a trip somewhere to a kite destination where you can bundle lessons and some quality water time together before coming home to go it alone.

teaching yourself is a really difficult thing to recommend for two reasons. first, the safety is most obvious. if you buy yourself a proper size lighter-wind kite to learn on and you put it up in the wrong conditions, or you don't know what you're doing and don't have the correct muscle memory to know what to do, you can very very easily hurt yourself. I was kiting a gusty lake and there was a guy who was taking lessons with an instructor, and still managed to do the wrong thing (pulled the bar in when the kite stalled), and the kite started looping and he got dragged into a wall and broke his neck and back in several places. and that was under the watchful eye of an instructor, things can just go wrong that fast.

the safety issue aside, kiteboarding can be very frustrating to learn even while someone is telling you what to do. there's a lot of subtlety that won't be obvious to you and will be difficult to translate from watching videos into your (attempts at) riding. it can totally be done but you might end up trying to give it a go a few times and hate it because you don't know what you're doing wrong.

I don't mean for it to come off overly negative because kiteboarding is probably the most fun sport there is and is fairly low risk once you know what you're doing, but learning can be a bitch for a lot of people and trying to go it alone or even without the support of at least one other person to do it with would make it even worse. so i definitely recommend trying harder to hook up with the local crew (if you can), or just plan at least a 7-14 day trip where you can take a couple of lessons and do some supervised riding.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Lots of good advice in these posts. Along the same lines as JakeMoore's landboarding suggestion, why not consider a kite buggy? They are a ton of fun. You can use a buggy in a field with a 3-5 meter foil ("power" or "trainer") kite, and you'll learn a lot about wind direction/quality and riding various angles to the wind. I used both buggy and mountain board at inland locations when I was learning to kiteboard. You can do it on the spur of the moment any time the wind picks up. Good luck and have fun!

Flyin_Dutchman
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kite Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: North, Slingshot, Cab, AXIS, NP, ION, Mystic

Postby Flyin_Dutchman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I teach in OKC. I gave you my info on the KC Kiters FB page. I just happen to be working (M-F) in Wichita for the next few months. If you contact me we could probably work something out to get you lessons. The water levels are high right now from all the rain, which presents it's own set of issues.
As it's been said, if you can be taught in KC, I really suggest lessons, as knowing your safety systems is a required MUST before going out and trying to fly your kite. I'm not preaching, but i have seen the end results of folks who thought they could do it by themselves, and it's not good. Look me up @ www.405kite.com

Dave

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Some video of your first attempts, would be Fun , (for us) . :D

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”