Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Single strut kite pressure

forum for kitesurfers

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Single strut kite pressure

Postby abel » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:32 am

The recommended pressure for my 12m single strut light wind kite is 8-10 psi.
Generally I'm alone at my spot (when light winds) and I have to self launch/land the kite. Because of that, I kept the pressure on the lower 8 PSI for avoiding pressure spikes and consequences, should the kite hit the ground.
Given that it is relative safe to self launch/land softly under light winds, I decided to inflate the kite near the 10 psi higher end pressure.
I was amazed at how better the kite behaved. Almost every feature, drift, float, turning, relaunch..., improved in a noticeable way.
This was not so perceivable with my multi strut kites. One or two PSI, more or less, didn't make such a difference in >14 knots.
Now I'm wondering why single strut kites don't recommend higher strut pressure than the in front bladder.
(forget about the single pump, its just only one strut and the weight of good old small and simple valves is lower that all the connection set between the LE and strut)

Anyhow, for light winds, I recommend taking the risk of inflating single strut kites at the higher end pressure as per manufacturer specs (provided the general behavior of most singles are similar) .

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget

Re: Single strut kite pressure

Postby Lokihel » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

I think the main design limitation there is the one-pump system, although I agree that it would be very easy to simply have a separate inflation point for the strut.

The problem is that people have gotten lazy and I don't think the marketing team wants to take the risk of people not liking the kite because it is 'difficult' to inflate it in two steps.

Anyway, always go for the recommended pressure, that's how they fine-tuned the kite.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

You gotta pump the clouds super hard. Pumped one the other day after riding a normal kite and just didn't go that extra couple pumps. Wingtip buckled on looping. Came in pumped it a couple more pumps and it was fine for a pretty overpowered session. These behaviors are much more noticeable when the kite is really loaded. I would say its in the upper end that you need to really pump them hard. Light wind the loads are less, but they still require decent pressure.

This kind of stuff only happens when the spot is crowded with the other locals to witness your strange strutless kite behaving badly! Never seems to happen when you ride alone.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Same remark for me and my "old" Airush One ; I Initially inflated in the range of 5-6 psi as I was doing for my rally 3 struts ; the kite Leading Edge was collapsing in high wind during jumps despite my light weight; hard to find manufacturer recommendation except " must be inflated with high pressure" , but went to 7-8 psi , sometimes 9 psi: no collapse anymore and more stable in higher winds; I wonder what the pressure limit is ...
By the way, this old Airush lady has no one pump like some other models in 2012, not really useful actually for only one strut, while it save some precious grams and reliability ; I found out out that for the One, it is more the LE bladder that needs high pressure rather than the central strut.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:33 pm

abel wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:32 am

Now I'm wondering why single strut kites don't recommend higher strut pressure than the in front bladder.

Anyhow, for light winds, I recommend taking the risk of inflating single strut kites at the higher end pressure as per manufacturer specs (provided the general behavior of most singles are similar) .
Always inflate a kite to a higher end. ...in all reality you will not notice a strut being pumped harder as long as your kite is designed and pumped up properly. It makes sense to just keep the kite with the same pressure all around. The pressure on the strut shouldn't be so much that you see any kind of distortion on the strut.
Last edited by tautologies on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian H
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Slingshot kites and boards

Postby Brian H » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 pm

The problem is how do you trust the air pressure gauge on these pumps to be the same or to be accurate .

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Who uses gauges ?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Postby abel » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Starsky wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm
Who uses gauges ?
Me... for the sake of this thread :lol:
Otherwise how would I describe the pressure? : If you're 80 kg and the pump piston has 9cm diameter, then put half of your weight on the pump, then you'll get about 8 PSI :wink:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 pm

From what I have seen almost all kites will fly with ~6psi and they will all fly better with 7.5-8psi. Just what I have experienced, ymmv.

"Gauges, we don't need no stinkin' gauges..."

Most of them work ok when new and then become less reliable quickly. Find a friend with a new one, pump a kite to 7.5 and bend the tip of the leading edge near the first strut and release it. Do it a few times and learn/remember what that feels/sounds like as it snaps back. Now you don't need a gauge again. Your welcome.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:22 am

i cant imagine flying something as low as 6-8 psi, everything feels so much better if you pump the kite up rock hard. better performance, more responsive, more resistant to gusts, etc etc

i think LF recommends their newer kites all be pumped to more like 10-12 psi because they have thin leading edges. the kites really do perform better

Return to “Kitesurfing”