Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The ideal kite for oldschool style?

forum for kitesurfers


shutupjoy
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North Evo 2016
Brand Affiliation: None

The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby shutupjoy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi I'm looking to get upgrade to the next level, started to do some oldschool trick like bacroll-kiteloop, hand drag-loop, dark slide and more..
What kite is the best for that? I am thinking about Dice or Evo, which kite should answer my goals?

vannibombonato
Medium Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby vannibombonato » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm
Hi I'm looking to get upgrade to the next level, started to do some oldschool trick like bacroll-kiteloop, hand drag-loop, dark slide and more..
What kite is the best for that? I am thinking about Dice or Evo, which kite should answer my goals?
Among Dice and Evo there is absolutely no possible doubt that Evo is 10x better for Old School. I'm into old school as well and ended up buying a set of Evos, in my opinion it's absolutely a stunning kite: great great boosting and hang time, stable, fantastic handling, honestly the instant i tested it i wanted to own one. Before Evos i tested all of the North line, Core, Epic.

If you want a more advanced kite i think Epics can be really good: but you do need to be a truly advanced rider to appreciate them. Don't think that just because you ride one you're gonna be riding like Dimitri...

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG (6,8,10,12,14,16), Pansh Aurora II 15
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 pm


shutupjoy
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North Evo 2016
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby shutupjoy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:45 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm
shutupjoy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm
Hi I'm looking to get upgrade to the next level, started to do some oldschool trick like bacroll-kiteloop, hand drag-loop, dark slide and more..
What kite is the best for that? I am thinking about Dice or Evo, which kite should answer my goals?
Among Dice and Evo there is absolutely no possible doubt that Evo is 10x better for Old School. I'm into old school as well and ended up buying a set of Evos, in my opinion it's absolutely a stunning kite: great great boosting and hang time, stable, fantastic handling, honestly the instant i tested it i wanted to own one. Before Evos i tested all of the North line, Core, Epic.

If you want a more advanced kite i think Epics can be really good: but you do need to be a truly advanced rider to appreciate them. Don't think that just because you ride one you're gonna be riding like Dimitri...

Thank you! actually I tried Evo its a great kite! Just one question- The Evo turns slowly than Dice, when I tried to do a backroll with a loop, the loop was too powerfull because the kite enter to the power zone!
The Dice have faster turning and the loop should be more jentle, with less power. (tried evo 10m).
What do you think?
The ideal kite for oldschool shoudn't be a faster kite?

shutupjoy
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North Evo 2016
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby shutupjoy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm

How this topic relevant for me? He talk about other goals..

vannibombonato
Medium Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby vannibombonato » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:45 pm
vannibombonato wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm
shutupjoy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm
Hi I'm looking to get upgrade to the next level, started to do some oldschool trick like bacroll-kiteloop, hand drag-loop, dark slide and more..
What kite is the best for that? I am thinking about Dice or Evo, which kite should answer my goals?
Among Dice and Evo there is absolutely no possible doubt that Evo is 10x better for Old School. I'm into old school as well and ended up buying a set of Evos, in my opinion it's absolutely a stunning kite: great great boosting and hang time, stable, fantastic handling, honestly the instant i tested it i wanted to own one. Before Evos i tested all of the North line, Core, Epic.

If you want a more advanced kite i think Epics can be really good: but you do need to be a truly advanced rider to appreciate them. Don't think that just because you ride one you're gonna be riding like Dimitri...

Thank you! actually I tried Evo its a great kite! Just one question- The Evo turns slowly than Dice, when I tried to do a backroll with a loop, the loop was too powerfull because the kite enter to the power zone!
The Dice have faster turning and the loop should be more jentle, with less power. (tried evo 10m).
What do you think?
The ideal kite for oldschool shoudn't be a faster kite?
Let me start by saying that i believe there are no rules, in the end it all comes down to personal preferences and style.
Still, the "general consensus" is that for Old School you actually want a slow kite: Toby, who is probably one of the world's top old school riders and master, rides some very big and slow Rebels if i'm not mistaken (like 16-18m). The reason is very simple: you don't want your kite to abruptly drop in the power zone when you are doing stuff like board offs, dead man, etc.

Back to the Evo, i personally find it a perfect sweet spot between slow/fast, and i find it exceptionally stable with a great, great feedback/feeling on the bar. IMHO the Dice is very clearly more oriented for Wave riding (it certainly drifts better IMHO), some unhooking etc. There can be no doubt that the EVO boosts higher and has way better hangtime.

Still, with all said...if you try one kite and just like it, that is kite that is right for you, regardless of what anyone says.

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG (6,8,10,12,14,16), Pansh Aurora II 15
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:28 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm
How this topic relevant for me? He talk about other goals..
The question posed by OP in the other thread is "Anyone familar with those kites for airstyle have any feed back?" "Airstyle" and "oldschool" are often used as synonyms. Therefore, I thought the kite discussion might be useful. Apologies if I was mistaken.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2104
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby Tone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Good shout on the Evo.

Some of the good foils will also work well for you!

shutupjoy
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North Evo 2016
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby shutupjoy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Our surf club in my local beach say that Evo is suits for more begginers riders.They said that for some slides and oldschool trick with kiteloops i will need an advanced kite that turns fast such the dice or bandit.
I completely confused right now.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:39 am

Re: The ideal kite for oldschool style?

Postby Jbrook » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm

What I dont want is a Delta type heavy on the bar slow turning kite, I have been wanting to try EVOs, I ride Vegas and love how smooth it turns and the way it loops and also the jump has a real vetical pull up, I dont care soo much about hangtime dont have a Wook Wook or pic.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bushflyr, knotwindy, tegirinenashi and 32 guests

cron