Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Battles at Top of Order at TwinTip Kite Race Euros Tighten in Testing Conditions

forum for kitesurfers

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Battles at Top of Order at TwinTip Kite Race Euros Tighten in Testing Conditions

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:30 am

IKA News:

ika.jpg

Hang Loose Beach, Gizzeria—Croatian teenager Martin Dolenc cemented his position at the top of the leader board at the kite racing TwinTip European championships in southern Italy with another strong performance.

But Dolenc, 17, leading the Open division after a long day on the blue Mediterranean waters in perfect breezes that climbed to around 17kts, found himself pushed ever harder as rivals dialled-in their skills in the unfamiliar format.

When the thermal breeze kicked in early afternoon on day two of the International Kiteboarding Association (IKA) TT:R European Championships, it fuelled intense close-fought racing over a remarkable 49 short, sharp heats lasting just three minutes each.

The format of downwind slalom racing being pioneered in preparation for the Youth Olympic Games in Argentina next year fostered a thrilling spectacle and more than a fare share of tangles as riders misjudged their close-quarters mark roundings and collided with other competitors.

The introduction of obstacles—sausage-shaped buoys to be jumped—on the last two legs of the course later in the proceedings, further added to the drama, and tested riders more used to simply racing as fast as possible on the water’s surface.

Racers, including 68 boys and 28 girls eligible to compete in Buenos Aires, have show their enthusiasm for the adrenalin-fuelled TwinTip racing by flocking to Gizzeria’s Hang Loose Beach for the five days of competition.

In all 112 racers from 21 countries—studded with a clutch of world champions and former world champions—have come to the classic Hang Loose Beach venue that is hosting a major kiting event for the sixth year in succession.

Slovenian Toni Vodisek wrested control of the boys’ division with a solid third spot after a second elimination round. That built on his overnight second position and gave him the overall lead, leapfrogging 16-year-old Tom Bridge (GBR), a former freestyle junior world champion.

But it was another junior freestyle champion, the Dominican Republic’s Deury Corniel, 17, who seized the win in day two’s elimination final, demonstrating his pace and power and going some way to right the wrongs of a disastrous opening day that put him well down the order.

“The first day was a bad one in my life,” he said. “But today was amazing. This racing is really tough. You feel like your feet are breaking, but you’re prepared to do things just because you want to win. You’re mind decides what you need to do to win.”

In the girls’ division Formula Kite Foil world champion Daniela Moroz (USA) found herself back in her customary top spot overall, but unusually she was again eased out of first place on the day by racing novice, Germany’s Alina Kornelli, who edged the day’s elimination round final in a photo-finish.

“We’re team Germany and we were chosen because we were born in 2000 or later and would qualify for the Youth Olympics,” said Kornelli, 17. “I’d never raced before and I came to see if I liked it. It’s really fun. It’s cool. And of course it’s my ambition to be in the Olympics.”

Dolenc may also choose to make a bid for Argentina. His pace has served him well keeping at bay Florian Gruber (GER), who sits second overall, and veteran TwinTip racer Atte Kappel (SWE) in third spot, who believed he was still feeling his way in the ultra-short format.

“In these races the start is so important,” he said. “That’s why we’re seeing quite a few OCS penalties for riders crossing the start line early. If you’re two seconds behind at the start you just can’t make it up, as you might in longer course racing.”

Full results: www.twintipracing.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPMSrLJwYI

phpBB [video]

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Battles at Top of Order at TwinTip Kite Race Euros Tighten in Testing Conditions

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Would be interesting to see what twintip they use.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Re: Battles at Top of Order at TwinTip Kite Race Euros Tighten in Testing Conditions

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Nice job boys and girls. I can't believe my son Cameron is 5th overall especially since this is his first time racing. Great job Cameron. :thumb:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 18.47.59.png

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 am

I guess after yesterday my son Cameron Maramenides is 1st ove rall. Good job son. Will see you in Greece on Monday.
Here is the link: https://kitesurfingmag.com/usas-cameron ... tt-europe/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 06.04.37.png

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:00 am

Congratulations Cameron (& dimitri!) keep it up!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Fast, anti lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:59 am

While kite racing will still never be sailing - good to see a format not obsessed with money for kit - the greatest barrier for youth. Still gotta be careful... - it's really is no joke kites tangled together looping though the power zone.

alford
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alford » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm

That is beautiful to watch, very telegenic.
Congrats to Cameron and proud papa Dimitri!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Check this video. Especially the end.
Cameron Maramenides got 2nd overall at the European Championship in Italy. Not bad especially since this was his first Race and started to practice 2 weeks ago.

phpBB [video]

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 am

Final results of the TWIN TIP KITE RACE for the European Championship in Italy.

http://twintipracing.com/component/k2/i ... ompetition

My son Cameron Maramenides took 2nd place :thumb: Not bad for his EPIC first race.
Attachments
IMG_5067.PNG

Return to “Kitesurfing”