Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiler's keep your helmets on!

forum for kitesurfers

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiler's keep your helmets on!

Postby abel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:30 am
Glad to hear he is OK. It looks like a jump gone bad.. perhaps a gust hit him.
It had nothing to do with his foil and it is hard to say if a helmet would have helped or hurt when he plowed into the water...
:o
I'm a helmet freak, but in this case I wonder if a helmet would help.
From what I can see, the rider hit the water head first causing a hard neck bend towards a side/backside.
IMHO this peculiar accident seems to be an exception of the many benefits of a helmet. :-?

Another question mark is why the rider reacted as he did. Seems that he got some kind of vertigo and reacted the wrong way.

Wish the guy full recovery!

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 am

If the rider is hurt I'm glad he is okay, but I have to say this seems weird.

The rider looked too good on that foil to be flailing about after a botched rotation trick...then he goes head first on purpose it appears. We've all been in some weird failed rotations, but never went into a head first dive into the water. To me that takes effort to do and I'm wondering if the post is legit. If I'm incorrect and the post is legit, the guy needs to learn how to relax after a botched rotation and just enjoy the soft ride back to water.

If the rider actually got knocked out from this move, he's getting knocked out with a helmet on in this instance imho.

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best.

Postby wind chaser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am

edt wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 pm
I would rather do that particular crash without a helmet. It's quite clear that he didn't know there was a sandbar right where he crashed. He deliberately went in head first...
Just like surfing, Never fall/dive head first. Helmet probably wouldn't have helped on this fall.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

I'd be curious to know what happened from the rider when he feels better.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah this is a bit of an odd thread.

The title is wrong as has been stated...

It isn't clear how the rider got the injury they sustained as head first into deep water would have been fine as far as can imagine. he is a little more than 5m up and even with the kite pulling him he wasn't going to hit the water harder than someone jumping off a 10m diving board (which anyone can jump off in a public pool) I guess the buoy in the water is a marker for shallow water?

Camera plus cocky rider (we all do it) often leads to a "hey watch this" moment. I think that might have happened here. All that mid air cycling doesn't make sense considering how well he appeared to be riding a few seconds before.

Hope he gets better ASAP!

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 pm
Click bait. Nothing to do with foiling. A hard crash yes, would helmet have helped, sure.
+1

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

What was the diagnosis in the hospital?

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 pm

After taking a closer look at the video i can see tht the kiter got lifted very far from the foil so this would definateky mean a hard impact on landing . i had a few small slams into the ground from about 5 feet or less in my beginning days as a land kiter and believ me it hurts and disorients you especially if the fall isnt planned ex i wasnt trying to do a jump . The head first thing can happen when u loose your bearings and balance which is what clearly happened to this guy as it looked like he was being pulled sideways almost backwards until the kite lost power and dumped him into the water.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Bailing out from 5m up during a kiteloop is pretty normal action where I'm from, I'm guessing the only thing at play here is shallow water. Most kite helmets won't protect from the decelerations of an impact, only the sharp pressure damage like hitting your board/a rock/etc.

Mleh, interesting to see so much damage done from a normal day on the water but I'm not sure there' much to learn here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”