Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

rescuing a foil board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Lytham, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: freeride, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Re: rescuing a foil board

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am

A flipped foilboard with foil up is much easier to see and drifts a lot more slowly downwind. If you need to return to shore before retrieving someone's foil, flipping it may help.
This might not work for all foilboards or in choppy conditions.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 am

irwe wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm
I have had similar situations in the past, when the kite goes down in light wind (not enough to relaunch) and the foil board is drifting down wind faster then me and the kite. My solution in light winds is to now carry a thin rope with a clip on one end and the other end attached to my key tie in my boardshorts pocket. I also have a short looped rope on my leash plug.

This way if the kite goes down I can quickly swim to the board and clip to it so I don't loose it. I can then either relauch the kite if the wind picks up or drift with all my gear back to shore.

I have found the safety leash line too short to use as a drift line.

On my custom foilboard I had a plug put on the nose so the board so it can drift easily with me instead of drifting backwards on my other board attached to the rear surf leash plug.

irwe,

Found this post searching for something else but it reminded me of my self recuse a month ago and losing my board b/c I didn't know how fast a foilboard was. When I got to my foilboard it was a 10 minute run from where I landed shore. Then I spent 30 minutes swimming after it b/c I under estimated how fast it was when I ran ahead of it to time it up.

I'm gonna rig something up like you, but I'm thinking of using a 1 meter line attached to my back harness line so it can swing freely depending on the current and such while packing down and swimming back.

Have you used your leash yet? Does the board end up ahead of you if you use it...I'm trying to think how long the line should be and where best to have it without it being a problem.

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

lovetheprick

Even my freestyle leashes are not long enough and the board will drag too close to you.
My line is thin para cord and is 1.5 X length of my board.
I wrap it up and keep it in my board shorts pocket. You can either attach it to your harness or the key chain loop in your board shorts.
I rarely need it but when I do it's a big help. My shoreline is mostly rocks and trees and a run away foil could easily get damaged.

Horst Sergio
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: open-minded freerace-foil-fundamentalist
Gear: WUUX custom; LEVITAZ bionic / mono-cruizer; FLYSURFER sonic²
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:07 am

Just by chance I found this video from Benny who is kite and foil instructor for www.kitejunkie.com
As you can see he is kiting and teaching in a place where foil board rescue is needed due to stones in lee, so he should have some experience ... :lol:

kitejunkie-Benny-foil-by-foil-rescue.jpg
https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/kit ... sonic-2-74

check min: 3:19

He is also riding a foil himself, but riding it on the board, so around with two foils. Don't know how he managed to get riding with the foil under is arm, can ask him the next time.

I have done similar, but just once and very long time ago. I reached the position by heaving one foil on the feet and one under my butt started drifting, than riding, than both foils were coming up and as I remember I also managed to get the foil from my butt which I was already holding with one hand by the front strap under my arm ...

But doing this with two carbon foils is a high risk of damaging both, so not sure if i would try it again myself.

Better as already explained, sit on the one with more volume and keep the other at the nose in hand and if needed drift around that way slowly, should also be possible to go upwind this way.

But never ever attach a leach to a foil. There are several ways this configuration may kill you. :o

styleito
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Impressive.
Not the least of which because he's carrying a Hoverglide.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm

styleito wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm
Impressive.
Not the least of which because he's carrying a Hoverglide.
yeah i can barely even carry my hover glide under my arm while standing on the beach :rollgrin:

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Looks pretty impressive indeed.
I think the main problem when I was confronted to that situation was that the wind was very light, the kite needed constant movement to not fall in the drink, which didn't leave too much wiggle room to free a hand.
Plus that guy on the pic has straps on his board which facilitates things heaps for a one handed waterstart.

Return to “Hydrofoil”