Gear:
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Safest Control Bar

Postby dylan* » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm
Jelle_vw wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm
What do you guys think of Ozone's contact bar. Clean build, good chickenloop and never had problems with it. Pretty safe if you ask me.
Ozone bars have always been pretty solid and dependable. But here's the thing,
-if you were shopping for a new bar
-if you aren't one of these who's gear just MUST be of the same brand
-most bars nowaydays are all as standard as it gets and can be used with any kites
-given that all 2017-2018 decent bars retail for about 500$US give or take

Lay out, let's say - Cabrinha, SS, LF, Ozone, Naish bars side by side. Which one would you pick?
Ozone's bar is good, but if for the same price you could get the fixed width Cabrinha's Trimlight - would you? It looks hella nicer!
I have a thing for being able to adjust the bar's width, so I'll be leaning more towards LF (the latest, green one) or Naish.
yeah, personally i think the new LF mission control is the nicest bar out right now. very clean, PU over the center lines, easy to adjust the bar width, BTB swivel, simple chicken loop that's easy to reassemble, direct connection to the bar (no integrated floaties that make the steering feel mushy).

the switch bar is up there for me too, if they would fix the saftey issue of it not flagging out and eating up the center line - easy, just get rid of the ATB swivel. and also reducing the weight a bit so that the bar floats :rollgrin: if they fixed those two things itd be my favorite as well, especially since it's half the price of other bars

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Peert wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm

-Train your QR release reflex.
Every time I catch this coming up, I will correct it! DO NOT TRAIN YOUR QR RELEASE!!! TRAIN THEM ALL!!!

The only thing you need to train on specific bars is where the release is at on odd old bars (like the old Ozone Megatron being on the side). Once you know where the release is is at, then do all motions. Hope no one takes offense to this but you need to always "jerk off" and "twist". By that I mean you push away, pull toward, and rotate in a fast motion. Practice that motion so that you will activate any style of release you come across. Core demo day? - you are ready for it. No thought must go into how that release works, just do the motion you normally think to do and it will release.

The added benefit is that you will dislodge sand in the QR body if the QR becomes stuck. This should be taught at schools and will save lives if kiters start doing this instead of just learning their particular release.

So "jerk it off with a twist"!

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm
Peert wrote:

Every time I catch this coming up, I will correct it! DO NOT TRAIN YOUR QR RELEASE!!! TRAIN THEM ALL!!!

The only thing you need to train on specific bars is where the release is at on odd old bars (like the old Ozone Megatron being on the side). Once you know where the release is is at, then do all motions. Hope no one takes offense to this but you need to always "jerk off" and "twist". By that I mean you push away, pull toward, and rotate in a fast motion. Practice that motion so that you will activate any style of release you come across. Core demo day? - you are ready for it. No thought must go into how that release works, just do the motion you normally think to do and it will release.

The added benefit is that you will dislodge sand in the QR body if the QR becomes stuck. This should be taught at schools and will save lives if kiters start doing this instead of just learning their particular release.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: thanks for the correction.

We should help each other stay safe.

Too many kiters are clueless when safety is concerned.
I start and end every summer session with asking at least one obviously beginner kitesurfer if he/she is going to/did do handle passes. Mostly I get a 'no... Why do you ask'.
After explaining that pulling their QR could result in them being dragged backwards behind their kite they tend to take my advice to attach leash at a spot they can actually reach.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm
Peert wrote:

Or you just don't use shitty QR's that require a twist or a pull.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:40 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Or you just don't use shitty QR's that require a twist or a pull.
I have lent out bars, but never borrowed. I even like to use my own bar when demoing, though sometimes that is not possible.

But you are correct - IF you never let yourself use another bar, so:

1. Never demo gear (or use your own bar to try other kite - Note: verify line lengths before connecting to a different kite)
2. Carry a spare bar with you so you do not have to borrow one
3. Just don't kite if you show up to the beach without a bar or have an issue with your bar that prevents you from using it
4. Don't kite somewhere sandy where my technique has the benefit of potentially loosening a jammed CL release
5. Don't help a beginner in trouble or unconscious person by trying to release their CL for them since you may not be able to do that as well as another kiter who does know how to operate a CL with all three methods

NorCalNomad has a perfectly acceptable way to go about "kite release issues" safely, so long as you stick to the above rules. Otherwise "jerk off (push/pull) and add a twist".

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Any of you guys out there that have been kiting for ever and ever and remained safe without having to use your quick release ?

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:17 am

Yes. I look forward only needed QR once early in my first year.
Last 5+ or so years no releases necessary.

opie
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m

Postby opie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 am

Peert wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:17 am
I worry that this could cause me problems. When learning I was always thinking about the quick release, and even used it once for real and many times for practice. But now I never need it, and don't even think about it. I wonder how quick my reaction will be if and when I need it again.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am

Peert wrote:
SOOOOO this...
Peert wrote:
That said safety depends on environmental conditions as well.
I had a North ironheart freeze together when kitesurfing below 0 celcius.... The switch QR is sensitive for the sand particle size at my home spot...
Was 5 years ago? Sounds like you are very removed from talking about modern QR usage :P

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am
Peert wrote:
SOOOOO this...
Peert wrote:
That said safety depends on environmental conditions as well.
I had a North ironheart freeze together when kitesurfing below 0 celcius.... The switch QR is sensitive for the sand particle size at my home spot...
Was 5 years ago? Sounds like you are very removed from talking about modern QR usage :P
What he said....first year use QR one time....since then for the next 5 years he had been kiting he did not have to use his QR again because he is careful when he launches/land
Probably uses correct size kite...avoids situations with dangerous winds...gets off the water before shit hits the fan
I know of some kiters that have kited nearly 2 decades that have never had to use their QR
I know of some kiters that have never had a car accident because they are careful drivers...they do have air bags...seat belts just in case
Lucky them you'll say....but its not luck i say
Are you one of those who believes that planet x will wipe us off Sept 23 rd coming up ?.....are you prepared ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”