Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Union. Wrong kite for me?

forum for kitesurfers

micwi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9/12 m, Shinn Monk, Slingshot Angry Swallow, Crazyfly Skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Union. Wrong kite for me?

Postby micwi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi,
A while ago I bought a Airush Union 7m 2017. Now I wonder if it's the right kite for me.
I started kiting last summer, and the last 3 months I have exlusively used a directional board.
Before I bought the Union I read that it was good for waves, as well as for freeride/freestyle. I have now been out 3 times with it, but I think it pulls to much in the gybes. Feels like I'm being pulled of the board. My Cabrinha Switchblade 9m, while not really a wave kite, feels much nicer. So, is it just me, still being inexperienced and eventually learn how to fly the kite. Or should I get a dedicated wave kite?
Thanks for any advice
Michael

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Re: Airush Union. Wrong kite for me?

Postby MrWolf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:51 am

Hi micwi,

To me it sounds like inexperience in using the kite. You are dealing with a much faster kite in much windier conditions when you are stepping down from a Switchblade 9 to a Union 7m.

If you are getting pulled off your board, you are either turning the kite to earlier or too late resulting in resistance from the board and you flying off.

I would say you should practice more on it - it sounds like you simply have the 9m speed dialed in already which is why you feel so comfortable.
If you are to get a dedicated wave kite, it will only be faster and you will still need to address your timing issue.

Watch this, it might slow it down a bit to see where your kite should be in relation to the board. I don't think it will tell you in depth. Think you need to pay for that. :lol:

phpBB [video]

micwi
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9/12 m, Shinn Monk, Slingshot Angry Swallow, Crazyfly Skim

Postby micwi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi MrWolf, thanks for your reply.
Yeah I have watched that clip and a couple of others when I started to ride the directional. I think I have dialed in the way to gybe with the board and kite now. I keep the kite fairly low and first yank the kite hard so it pivots around and then I start the gybe with the board. A really nice feeling when you get pulled through the gybe. I guess, with the Airush, I have to start gybing with the board a bit earlier so i don't get pulled of the board.
And yes, your right that the Union is much faster and direct than the Switchblade. And the wind was quite strong and gusty when I was out on the water.
Michael

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi micwi,

Yeah I wouldn't sure without seeing a video of you in action. I would simply put a few more days under your belt to dial it in.
Hope you get some wind today to try it out!

MrWolf

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados
Style: Free to do what ever I want
Gear: Airush Wave, Union II & III, Varial X and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds

Shinn Bronq, Airush Converse 6' 2015. Firewire 5'3" Evo Helium, Circle one SB
Brand Affiliation: None. I use what I like

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:15 pm

You say the wind was strong & gusty?
That'l play a big part in getting used to the Union. The smaller Unions are pretty fast and will feel punchy. Sounds like you need to adjust your technique. You'r comparing Apples to Oranges and expecting each kite(which are different) to work / feel the same, in different wind conditions.

Are you riding strapless or strapped?

Gusty winds, will always unbalance you easier, esp with a fast kite.

micwi
Rare Poster

Postby micwi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi SonnyRider,
Thanks for the feedback.
I was out kiteing this Sunday. The wind wasn't as strong and gusty as the previous times, so it felt better. So I'm keeping the kite, as I think I'm starting to learn how it flies.
I just have experiance from riding my Switchblades, and now the Union. So, not much to compare with yet. That's why wondered if a dedicated wave kite would be better for me riding exclusively on a surfboard.
I'm riding strapless.
Michael

omg
Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

in short, yes. Dedicated wave kites are not as punchy as I would assume Union is (never ridden one), but if it's kite for unhooked riding, then there's a good chance its more punchy. Wave kites have steadier power band when turning etc. so you don't get the power spikes which in turn helps to keep you on board. However, you still need to steer the kite right, otherwise every kite will pull you off the board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”