Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone chickenloop safety warning issued

Postby Jelle_vw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Thnx for sharing.
To me it looks if there is always something with Ozone gear. I am not that impressed with their quality.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 pm

I started out with Ozone and quickly moved to HQ on the snow. Customer service on a similar issue was the catalyst for that.

I would not say Ozone has more issues that other kite companies, though. They seem to be fairly average and even good at recalling defective gear. The price of Ozone gear, does lend one to think that their gear would be more trouble free than lower priced options. For me, that assessment has proven false many times - first with myself, then with the other kiters I watched use their newer gear.

However, I commend Ozone for recalling on this issue. This is a similar issue to what Best had going with their 2010 through 2012 CL release design and the design after before they switched over to the North CL release. No recalls were ever done on those dangerously defective mechanism's.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 pm

I agree, Matteo. It's important to commend Ozone for recognizing the issue and for being proactive in addressing it appropriately. In every industry, there are companies that would not have done so. Kudos, Ozone. :thumb:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Not impressed with their quality as well (Especially bladder issues, tons of them. Impressed with the performance though...) but they always take care of it in a good manner. I never heard complaints about the new CL's, yet they issue a recall :thumb:

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby Jelle_vw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 am

Yes I have always loved my Catalyst's and it's for sure a plus that they report there issue's.
It's just that I'm riding Ozone since 2011 and had some bad experiences over the years.
- Valve came loose from the bladder (factory defect).
- Had to replace two valves caps, the red ones (factory defect).
- Had my kites registered but never received an email on these defects.
- Tried to contact them twice but never got a reply.
- Where the steering lines connect to the tip, because of rubbing, the lines went trough the LE and exposed the bladder.
- Wanted to buy a LE bladder only but had to buy a full bladder set (LE + struts) since they are not sold seperately.
- Some time ago I had to check my chickenloop for the right screws.
- And now this.

Above has made me consider to switch brands once my currents Ozone's need replacement.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 am

Jelle_vw wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 am
Yes I have always loved my Catalyst's and it's for sure a plus that they report there issue's.
It's just that I'm riding Ozone since 2011 and had some bad experiences over the years.
- Valve came loose from the bladder (factory defect).
- Had to replace two valves caps, the red ones (factory defect).
- Had my kites registered but never received an email on these defects.
- Tried to contact them twice but never got a reply.
- Where the steering lines connect to the tip, because of rubbing, the lines went trough the LE and exposed the bladder.
- Wanted to buy a LE bladder only but had to buy a full bladder set (LE + struts) since they are not sold seperately.
- Some time ago I had to check my chickenloop for the right screws.
- And now this.

Above has made me consider to switch brands once my currents Ozone's need replacement.
Did you contact your dealer first about the factory defects? Or did you just bypass that and contact Ozone directly?

--
Gunnar

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby Jelle_vw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm

For the factory defects I contacted my dealer and got replacements. All good.
If have tried to contact them twice, last time was a couple of weeks ago, but get no replies.

It's just the sum of things that makes me disappointed.
Could be other brands are not different or it's just me, bust still.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Jelle_vw wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm
For the factory defects I contacted my dealer and got replacements. All good.
If have tried to contact them twice, last time was a couple of weeks ago, but get no replies.

It's just the sum of things that makes me disappointed.
Could be other brands are not different or it's just me, bust still.
If you contacted them directly about a defect, then you should not expect an answer. Most brands will wither not answer those mails or tell you to go through your dealer.

But it sounds like you got everything sorted out fine when you went through your dealer, which is how it is supposed to work anyways. So I would say that Ozone sorted out your issues just fine.

--
Gunnar

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

If you contacted them directly about a defect, then you should not expect an answer. Most brands will wither not answer those mails or tell you to go through your dealer.
Good point. In the normal business model with a company giving dealerships out to shops that qualify, there is a long chain of people your issues go through. You could look at the foreign manufacturer as the top, then the brand name, then the regional distributor, then the local distributor (not prevalent in kites), then the store. All of those people made some of your money and bear some of the responsibility for your issue. This is leads to major issues when one person in the customer service chain "drops the ball". The guy above him does not want to bear the responsibility for the job that the guy below was supposed to do. On customer service issues with both Best and Ozone, I have had to go to the top of the chain to get issues resolved. And, even beyond that when I had to become the "manufacturer" buy building my own parts when a company failed to get replacements to me.

That is why I like the direct market model. Less people in the mix when you have an issue. If you buy Switch, you deal with them directly. And just a note: I only own 1 Switch bar as my back up bar. I own none of their kites and am leaning toward Liquid Force or Slingshot to replace my current Best kites since Switch does not have a kite that fits my liking.

Return to “Kitesurfing”