Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras (Avon), Chrissy Field, Aruba, Turks & Caicos
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North & Best kites, North Jaime and Whip boards, Liquid Force bars
Brand Affiliation: None

New 2018 North Rebel 4/5 line has me rethinking Evo

Postby TahoeGator » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:30 pm

North has announced their 2018 Rebel (https://www.northkiteboarding.com/products/kites/rebel/) and it now can run on 4 or 5 lines. I was just about to pull the trigger on 8m, 10m and 12m 2017 Evos, but am now wondering if I should reconsider in light of the 4 line option on the new Rebels? All my bars are 4 lines so the Rebels have never interested me nor have I ever ridden one (nor will I be able to demo one before next trip). I've found a few "Rebel vs. Evo" threads on this site, though most of them are dated and thus unreliable for comparison of 2017+ models, so I thought I'd put this question out in case anyone has newer opinions. Also, if it matters, I share my quiver with my wife. She's a capable kiter, manages to get some air here and there, but if the Rebels are in any way less "user friendly" if you know what I mean, that's a factor. Thank you for any opinions!

kiterocky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Best

Re: New 2018 North Rebel 4/5 line has me rethinking Evo

Postby kiterocky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Any kite can be use with 5 line.... Its a 5 line with no tension..just for the old lovers of the 5line Rebel.. Only this year for the trauma... Next year they will write 4 line

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Think I heard that the 2018 Evo will be 3 struts instead of 5 struts in case that's of any relevance. I could be wrong though.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:50 pm
Any kite can be use with 5 line.... Its a 5 line with no tension..just for the old lovers of the 5line Rebel.. Only this year for the trauma... Next year they will write 4 line
I always thought of the classic Rebel as a 3 line kite....with a no pulley bridle consisting of 3 lines also :D

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Taranaki, Baja
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: NKB Rep, West Coast/Canada/Baja

Postby Dan-at-North » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 am

TahoeGator-

This is a very early personal review of the new 2018 Rebel vs the 2017 Evo. I have not flown them back-to-back, and actually have only a few sessions on each of those kite. Hopefully others can chime in as demos of the 18 Rebel make the rounds.

The 2018 Rebel is aimed at the same end user as previous years' Rebels... It is considered the "high performance" freeride kite while the Evo is considered the "freeride" kite. The freeride thing they have in common means they're both great for jumping, cruising, slashing, riding waves, pretty much a bit of everything except advanced handlepass style unhooking. Both are designed for maximum range and stability. The differences are not huge and it sounds to me like either will work for you... As the 'freeride' kite, the Evo really excels in user friendliness... It relaunches really well, is stable, won't stall, loops very quickly and without much consequence, is very forgiving when jumping etc. The new Rebel tries to offer the same sort of usability but in a more performance/high aspect package, meaning it's faster through the window which should result in bigger jumps (it's the biggest jumping kite I've ridden) but maybe slightly less forgiveness if you're not really dialed with your kite handling. Slightly less sheet-and-go which it makes up for by being a bit faster turning. It's got a bit more power/consequence through kiteloops.

Again, just early personal thoughts on the differences, if anyone agrees/disagrees/has more light to shed please jump in.

It's too bad that you can't demo one before your trip but hopefully this helps direct you. If you do go for it please feel free to chime in here with your thoughts on the new Rebel.

-Dan

mkNY
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freestyle\Freeride\Wave
Gear: 2017 North Evo 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq Heritage\North NTT
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:46 am

I fly EVOs and they are very fast and playful. Any Rebel I have tried in the past seemed slow and less fun to throw around (higher aspect), especially in larger sizes. I always considered them to be for heavier riders.
Dan, I find it odd that you say the new Rebel turns faster than the EVO. Do you feel the new Rebel is as fun/agile as the 2017 EVOs, what size did you test them in? Also how does it loop, the EVO is quite quick.

When looking at the shape on your site the 2 kites look almost identical, so I wonder if the 2018 Rebel has some EVO DNA in it. If it is faster turning then I would definitely by interested as the one thing I would like to improve a little bit on my EVOs is hangtime.

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Taranaki, Baja
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: NKB Rep, West Coast/Canada/Baja

Postby Dan-at-North » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:55 pm

mkNY-

I honestly don't feel qualified... It sounds like you know the 2017 Evo way better than I and you're actually making me second guess my initial impression. I've only got a couple sessions on the new Rebel, only the 9. My experience looping the new Rebel is that it's much more powerful through loops than the Evo, which was always super quick and "painless" to loop. As far as agility, it seemed faster and more playful than the old Rebel (to which I was back-to-backing) however I won't guarantee that it's significantly more playful than the Evo. One of the biggest differences I noticed was the "way" it turned, much more naturally and smoothly, more like the Neo, rather than slippery then whippy like the older Rebels. It makes kiteloops way smoother and more predictable on the newer Rebel than the older one.

As far as the 2018 Rebel and 2017 Evo having similar DNA, that's not really the case. The Evo has always been designed by Ralf in Europe while the Rebel has always been designed by Ken in Hawaii. They may trade notes on occasion but it's not like Ralf sent an Evo file for Ken to start modeling off. It's a totally new design with a not-unrelated design criteria (freeride) but higher performance/higher aspect (faster, higher jumping, better upwind).

Again, these are only personal thoughts. I have almost no rider feedback so if anyone gets the chance to try them out, please post here and feel free to tell me I'm dead wrong.

-Dan

beng
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: Rebel,s 2018

Postby beng » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 am

Here’s my 2 cents.
My local spot is at the North Sea and once every now and then go to a flat water spot.
I have never flown a Rebel before, because of the 5-lines

I have owned 2016 and 2017 Evo’s and now fly the 2018 Rebels, all on the clickerbar v1 and no Y in the lines just a direct V.

First up the 2017 Evo is a really tame kite, they took every bit of aggression out of it. This is most noticeable when jumping, the hight is not that impressive. The 2016 was way better.

When I tested the new Rebels, it was very clear they are very different kites.
The Rebel goes upwind a lot better. The stability is better. The kite feels a lot more “solid” in the air.
The forward speed is higher. It has a more direct feel on the bar. Turning speed is not a lot different from the 2017 Evo, but that was fast enough (for me). Jumping is a lot better. This is for the hight but especially for the landing, the Evo is difficult to time right for a soft landing without a heliloop.
The touch down with the Rebel is so much easier and you don’t have to do a heliloop.This is even the case for the 8m (my smallest kite). The hangtime is longer. The Rebel is easy to relaunch but it takes a seconde or 2 longer. I don’t unhook so I can’t comment on that.
So for my type of riding, the Rebel is a way better kite. I like the soft agression that’s hidden in the kite. As for “user friendly” for me personally, I think the Rebel is better. You can use them for park and ride or more powered-up freeriding. Yes it is a more powerful kite, but it also tells you what it wants. There’s no fuzziness.
All in all I would say go for the Rebels 2018, but if possibly do test back to back with the 2017 Evo.
Because everybody is different and so is their kiteboarding

Hope it helps a bit.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 am

Thank you (as always) with your clear and honest input Dan. Can you comment on the new Rebel depower stroke - is it comparable to the loaded 5th line Rebel or is it like a 'normal' kite? Personally I ride Rebels mostly because when I'm on a wave I push my hand 10 inches out and the kite ceases to exist... then on the way in I pull my hand 10 inches in and I'm jumping to the stars. How is it for 2018? And how does the depower stroke compare to the Evo? Thanks!

Dan-at-North wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 am
TahoeGator-

This is a very early personal review of the new 2018 Rebel vs the 2017 Evo. I have not flown them back-to-back, and actually have only a few sessions on each of those kite. Hopefully others can chime in as demos of the 18 Rebel make the rounds.

The 2018 Rebel is aimed at the same end user as previous years' Rebels... It is considered the "high performance" freeride kite while the Evo is considered the "freeride" kite. The freeride thing they have in common means they're both great for jumping, cruising, slashing, riding waves, pretty much a bit of everything except advanced handlepass style unhooking. Both are designed for maximum range and stability. The differences are not huge and it sounds to me like either will work for you... As the 'freeride' kite, the Evo really excels in user friendliness... It relaunches really well, is stable, won't stall, loops very quickly and without much consequence, is very forgiving when jumping etc. The new Rebel tries to offer the same sort of usability but in a more performance/high aspect package, meaning it's faster through the window which should result in bigger jumps (it's the biggest jumping kite I've ridden) but maybe slightly less forgiveness if you're not really dialed with your kite handling. Slightly less sheet-and-go which it makes up for by being a bit faster turning. It's got a bit more power/consequence through kiteloops.

Again, just early personal thoughts on the differences, if anyone agrees/disagrees/has more light to shed please jump in.

It's too bad that you can't demo one before your trip but hopefully this helps direct you. If you do go for it please feel free to chime in here with your thoughts on the new Rebel.

-Dan

mkNY
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freestyle\Freeride\Wave
Gear: 2017 North Evo 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq Heritage\North NTT
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 pm

@beng thanks for the review that really helps. Any reason you fly your North kites on a low V rather than factory Y? Also since you come from EVOs, can you compare the looping ability of the new REBEL. Not looking for a mega loop machine, but I want something that can at least make it around smooth and relatively quick like the 17 EVO. Prev gen Rebels have been terrible at that as seen in many reviews http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/12/04/n ... l-8m-2017/

I guess I need to demo somehow ;)

Dan, any chance North could send me a demo 9M Hehe

Return to “Kitesurfing”