Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bar build questions

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar build questions

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm

My LF bar setup I built had a factory line snap from within the floaty last week :o I replaced those lines with dyneema and re-built everything with a much longer trim line so I can trim on the go vs reaching.

I don't have the ronstan pulley so on my build I am not getting the easier pull, but I just wanted to get a taste for having the longer rope at my disposal. My question is why is ozone using the spectra polyester covered braided rope on the trim line vs just using dyneema the entire way throughout the build. Is it for better grip? Or better bite in the cleat, etc? Also, is that ozone cleat any better performance than the Switch brand cleat I am using?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: Bar build questions

Postby bragnouff » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 am

That cleat is REALLY good, and its backing will allow many options for rigging it. Like easily adjusting the height (or throw).
https://fostersshipchandlery.co.nz/prod ... -aero-base
I can't see any logic in trying to develop a proprietary cleat like Switch did.

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Levitaz Bionic
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn

Postby evan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 am

Trim line with polyester outside are built for cleats, they don't deform that much in the cleat. Therefore they can be easier trimmed by smaller increments, also the long loose end won't wrap around something else that easy and has a better grip on your hands.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am

evan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 am
Trim line with polyester outside are built for cleats, they don't deform that much in the cleat. Therefore they can be easier trimmed by smaller increments, also the long loose end won't wrap around something else that easy and has a better grip on your hands.

Precisely.

Is your bar only used for hydrofoiling lovethepirk ?

Assume it is, since posted in this forum, but could also be because you know racers use long trim lines.

I personally HATE loose trim line, it will wrap around the steering lines and can be quite dangerous in fact :(

I have velcro to fix the end of the trim line, so it wont jam on other lines or things.

Particularly in foiling where you loop the kite a lot, so lines are often twisted, the risk is a lot higher for jammed trim-steering lines :wink:

I got one big foil kite with a longer non velcroed trim line, and I always have to tie some knots after having trimmed for the given day, so the trim line wont swing around and get caught in "everything" :x

But of course, if you do this, it is still out of easy reach - so I assume this is why mostly racers use these long trim lines, as it is needed, whereas others like it packed away instead of cumbersome flapping around :D

8) PF

kostantin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,

I found a feature on my Switch bar more by luck then by skill ;-) They have a small magnet shrinked in a tube that prevents the depower line from jumping around and tangling. I wonder if I can use this idea for my own bar

tks

Kosta

Return to “Hydrofoil”