Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Core, Slinshot, Woodboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Ride Engine Safety Concern

Postby bluespresso » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 am

Dear ride engine designers,
there is one particular safety concern that prevents me from buying a ride engine harness. On both sides of your spreader bars you have hooks that are used to attach the spreader bar to the rest of the harness. Unfortunately, the orientation of both hooks is outwards. Therefore, when you come into contact with loose kite lines (in the water) it is possible to get a line caught in one of the hooks. It may be difficult or impossible to unhook the caught line under force because it would get clamped between the hook part of the spreader bar and the plastic tubing of the retainers. In such a situation your life is at risk. I also believe that it is very unlikely somebody can cut the lines while being dragged by a looping kite. One good example for this problem is a kitesurfer who did a mistake self-launching, swapped the steering lines or held the bar the other way. Doing this he fell over his bar and lines in a forward motion and got one line caught in some hook attached to his harness. He could not free himself from the kite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewc5R9MXfk
I believe this is very likely with the current design of ride engine.
I suggest you attach the side hooks backwords to your spreader bars so they face inwards. If the form is correct it should be nearly as comfortable as the current system but safer.
Also I would like to have attachment points for my safety leash on the spreader bar, one on the right and one on the left side, half way between the centre hook and the side hooks of the spreader bar.
Kind regards

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Re: Ride Engine Safety Concern

Postby t3rse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 pm

I had mine completely let go (came undone, not loosened up) when I turned and my kite, harness, and bar sailed across an oyster bed and I had to swim back to shore with my board. Anecdotal evidence from fellow kiters who used to ride/teach in OBX told me they've seen this happen to others... I now wrap a soft shackle around the thing to keep it from inadvertently coming off.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Switchblade 10m 2016
A15 12m

Spectrum 136cm 2016
Shinn El stubbo
Zeeko Blue & White
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

I have seen a kite fly with a ride engine harness.
Luckily, another kiter grabbed the kite and a 3rd kiter offered him a tow (both planning) and the end was good...
After seeing that, I always bit the small red safety button in my dakine

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best.

Postby wind chaser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Had the same thing happen. Harness came loose (off) on right side. I've been keeping a tight fit now and hook a small carabiner between the strap and right hook for strap.

Still the best harness I've had.

airfly
Rare Poster

Postby airfly » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi, i got a ride engine for 1 and a half year and no problem whit it.

Just watch this video that explain how to use the harness and how to block the strap from loosening.

Sometimes it's good to watch manufacturer video that explain how their product works ;-)

here is the link : https://vimeo.com/144678009

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

How loose are you wearing your harness that it can come unhooked? :?:

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug 2016
Gear: Drifters, 2016 7, 9, 12

Postby skideeppow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Kykeon wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm
I have seen a kite fly with a ride engine harness.
Luckily, another kiter grabbed the kite and a 3rd kiter offered him a tow (both planning) and the end was good...
After seeing that, I always bit the small red safety button in my dakine
Was this in Hood? That happened to me. I was riding the ride engine with fireball. The webbing snapped after i downlooped my kite through a transition. Kite, bar and harness were ripped off me.
Sean grabbed my kite, and someone dragged me in.
I had pulled the plastic pieces off in order to get the fireball to work with it.
Kite had a tear in leading edge and bladder.
Ride gave me a loaner harness, and said i could get a 2018 as well.

Guys at windance in hood told me they have seen this happen a number of times, and not just with the fireball.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: .
Switchblade 10m 2016
A15 12m

Spectrum 136cm 2016
Shinn El stubbo
Zeeko Blue & White
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 pm

airfly wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:45 pm
Sometimes it's good to watch manufacturer video that explain how their product works ;-)

here is the link : https://vimeo.com/144678009
Now that I saw it I understand why it happened...
Not likely but not impossible either... or anyway much harder with my Dakine, which is less fast to strap in.

@skideeppow : No, it was somewhere in Europe

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am

OP: Perhaps you should take up knitting?

rddvet
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: St Petersburg, FL
Gear: Cabrinha/Axis

Postby rddvet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 am

bluespresso wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 am
Dear ride engine designers,
there is one particular safety concern that prevents me from buying a ride engine harness. On both sides of your spreader bars you have hooks that are used to attach the spreader bar to the rest of the harness. Unfortunately, the orientation of both hooks is outwards. Therefore, when you come into contact with loose kite lines (in the water) it is possible to get a line caught in one of the hooks. It may be difficult or impossible to unhook the caught line under force because it would get clamped between the hook part of the spreader bar and the plastic tubing of the retainers. In such a situation your life is at risk. I also believe that it is very unlikely somebody can cut the lines while being dragged by a looping kite. One good example for this problem is a kitesurfer who did a mistake self-launching, swapped the steering lines or held the bar the other way. Doing this he fell over his bar and lines in a forward motion and got one line caught in some hook attached to his harness. He could not free himself from the kite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewc5R9MXfk
I believe this is very likely with the current design of ride engine.
I suggest you attach the side hooks backwords to your spreader bars so they face inwards. If the form is correct it should be nearly as comfortable as the current system but safer.
Also I would like to have attachment points for my safety leash on the spreader bar, one on the right and one on the left side, half way between the centre hook and the side hooks of the spreader bar.
Kind regards

Reply from RideEngine:

Dear Mr Blue. Thanks you for your concerns. Safety is our main concern and take it very seriously. We hope that you do try our harness one day, and give us your hands on opinion. To decrease the likelihood of a line snag it may be beneficial to protect the hooked end of our spreader bar by placing it directly up your ass. While this may decrease the lumbar support, which is the key benefit of our harness, it will definitely increase the safety of potential line snags.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way related to the Ride Engine management.

Return to “Kitesurfing”