Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydro - Foil Prices

Postby sedluk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 pm

I think that you can buy lower priced stuff and have a great time. It seems like the more expensive stuff like an ultra light fabric race kite and all carbon high end foil and carbon board only give you a little benefit. I do think they are better and it is facinating that not only is there a waiting list for a high end French foil, the used prices are often close to new prices.

Dave K
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Gear: 12, 9 Switchblades/ 9, 7 Cabo's/ Tb tt/RRD H-flight foil/LF Happy Foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 am

A 12M Core XR5 with standard control bar sells for 2,208.00. A 12M Airush Ultra single strut with bar sells for $1859. Retail for a Slingshot Hoverglide is $899. A Lift all carbon hydrofoil sells for $1300. I suppose one's opinion of what seems overpriced is all relative..........

FrederikS
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby FrederikS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 pm
FrederikS wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am
A twin tip is cheap RTM and requires very little lay-up work. You could make cheaper hydrofoils using RTM and get similar results as with pre-preg, but so far non of the companies are investing in it due to low numbers.
TT's are not RTM (resin transfer molding) but compression molding (same tech as skis and snowboards). They do in fact require layup work but not like the negative molds of high end foils.

I'm guessing the cost vs return on RTM molds and machines, probably with engineering/injection limitations is why people aren't RTM'ing fuselage/ wing combos. But the new north foil might be CF reinforced PA...but that's not confirmed.
Even worse. Just saw a video not long ago and it was RTM for TTs and figured the sales volumes would warrant RTM, but some must still be reliant normal compression molding then. RTM requires a lot less labor than pre-preg since there are no consumables involved. Margins must be insane on TTs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”