neilhapgood
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

sitting on the board to relaunch

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 pm

I was just reading the swimming in light winds thread and saw someone say they sit on their board to relaunch the kite. I use LEI's and wondering if this is recommended in light winds with big kites, saves worrying about the board if you are messing about for a while?!

thanks

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Re: sitting on the board to relaunch

Postby junebug » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes! Saves worrying about the board either getting away from you or going through the lines and gives you resistance against the downwind pull of the kite in the water to increase the effective wind speed to make relaunch easier.

I ride a 54" dwarfcraft, and it is easy to sit on. Might be harder or impossible with a very small board, I'm not sure.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Definitely - ALWAYS sit on your board, it will be easier to attempt a relaunch.

You wont get the foil in your lines.

And last but the most important - you can sit on your board and just drift ashore, without having to swim for your life if out far and not much flotation (say in shorts and a tiny waist harness only as we do in the summer).
You will also save your board that wont drift ashore and hammer on the bottom, if rocks it might get destroyed.
Even better, sitting there you can enjoy the others riding around you, and IF a puff comes, you can try and sometimes succeed a relaunch :naughty:

A win win win - sit on your board no matter what, when kite is down :thumb:

8) PF

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Definitely do it. Almost lost my board once when I didn't. In the couple of minutes it took me to pack down, my board had drifted about 75m downwind of my. It was so much faster downwind than the kite drifted.

I have also swum out to pick up a friends board once (he was only about 25m off the beach so not terrible). He'd stopped to relaunch and it was drifting at nearly walking pace down the beach.

neilhapgood
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm

ha fantastic thanks all, undoubtedly unanimous agreement by all, a rarity in this game!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Oops, forgot two other advantages:

You can use your mast and board as a keel, to go in the desired direction to get into shore, so you don't hit something, and don't miss the point and get out in offshore open ocean :thumb:

And vital, if current and wind changes, you can let the kite go and paddle ashore to safety :thumb:
Even the smallest pocket board can be a life saver :D

8) PF

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

+1 for sitting on board in light wind...
:thumb:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I have shinn el stubbo which is one of those thin deck. Doesn't have much volume so it's easy to keep board underwater twintip style to relaunch. (with one strap never tried strapless)
To relaunch LEI in lightwind I point the board opposite direction I am trying to relaunch kite, I found out that if they have same direction the foil being efficient I just go in same direciton as kite and it never goes to side of window and turn up on its side, in opposite direction seems to work well ;)

borist
Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Absolutely! Some local kiters seem to have a serious difficulty to overcome their anxiety about foil board doing something strange, but I find it easier to control while sitting on it rather than holding it and swimming. I've done it in overhead steep windswell with wind ~30 without any control issues. In light wind it makes it soooo much easier to relaunch the kite because you have both hands free to work the lines, plus you can tilt the board aggressively at the critical moment to create more line tension when trying to peel the kite off the surface. Should be considered a basic foiling skill.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:17 am

I find sitting on the board to greatly impede my ability to relaunch my kite in light winds, since it wants to run downwind and throw all your line tension away. I usually swim against my kite to get it to roll over while praying to jesus that it won't just stall as soon as it gets in the air. You can angle your board sideways while sitting on it to provide some resistance, but it's quite awkward to sit in this position while trying to fight to get the kite to relaunch, and still not as good as kicking against the kite.

But all that said, I still sit on the board, because relaunching the kite is usually 50/50 whether it will just fall out of the sky again as soon as it's in the air, and at that point it's easy to just drift in on the board rather than keep fighting it. And then pack the gear up and go home to do something more productive.

Return to “Hydrofoil”