A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sealing alu strut - still a no-no?

Postby cglazier » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 am

The North hydrofoil comes with a sealed aluminum mast.

CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:34 pm

opie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm
My Takuma mast came sealed from the factory but now it has water in it that I can't get out. Maybe a fluke or maybe its not that easy to seal.

This is exactly why I would love the idea I mentioned, having the mast sealed, but having a "vent plug" of some kind (like we know from windsurf boards maybe) so you can drain, as even if sealed, water sometimes WILL get in.

8) Peter

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 am

Look to windsurf booms for the answer. They’ve been filling them with foam for longer than some of you have been alive. 😝

They don’t try to seal the boom bodies tight, they just fill the cavity with extruded polystyrene. It is the spongey white foam that is water proof. Many foils come packed in expanded polystyrene. I sliced up that packing and fill the mast cavity.

End result, 80% of the void gone. No worries. Minimal water capacity.

jaros
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jaros » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 am

Look to windsurf booms for the answer. They’ve been filling them with foam for longer than some of you have been alive.
They don’t try to seal the boom bodies tight, they just fill the cavity with extruded polystyrene. It is the spongey white foam that is water proof. Many foils come packed in expanded polystyrene. I sliced up that packing and fill the mast cavity.
End result, 80% of the void gone. No worries. Minimal water capacity.
I think all of the ALU foil producers should use this method mentioned above. I did the same with strips out of XPS. It keeps 99% of the water out, it adds almost zero weight and you can always get them out, rinse the inside of the strut with fresh water and put them back in.
I really can not see why they are not doing it...
Greetings,
Jaros

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm

jaros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 am
I did the same with strips out of XPS. It keeps 99% of the water out, it adds almost zero weight and you can always get them out, rinse the inside of the strut with fresh water and put them back in.
Greetings,
Jaros
:thumb:
I'd be interested to see some pics/vid of this mod if you have a chance!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Actually the white spongy stuff used in packing, boogie boards and windsurf boom plugs etc., that has slippery feel and doesn't crumble, is Expanded Polyethylene (PE).
At least, that is what has been in my old windsurf gear.
Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) is the more rigid stuff, used for insulation board. It shapes ok but melts in polyester resin and epoxy doesn't always stick to it as well as other foams.
it also doesn't absorb water, is more rigid than other light core foams, and tends to break down if in contact with water for too long, especially in heating or freezing cycles. just fyi

The soft Polyethylene (PE) foam for plugs is a pretty good idea, but if you are anxious about it, maybe also a good idea to weigh your mast dry and reweigh it periodically.
If it gains weight, there is probably water in it, and you should take the plugs out!
merl wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm
jaros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 am
I did the same with strips out of XPS. It keeps 99% of the water out, it adds almost zero weight and you can always get them out, rinse the inside of the strut with fresh water and put them back in.
Greetings,
Jaros
:thumb:
I'd be interested to see some pics/vid of this mod if you have a chance!
This is also an interesting idea. Aside from labor/cost, one reason not do it is that one of the bad scenarios for corrosion is to have a small void or channel next to your alloy and fill it with salt water, and maybe some other contaminants. Eventually some customers would end up with metal filings, bits of sand, salt water etc pooling in there, wearing away any paint or anodizing inside, and causing unseen corrosion.

Return to “Hydrofoil”