Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am

Well, thats my question.
I usually see kiters foiling in 4 to 6 knots with big race foilboards, 150x50 cm aprox, 30 lts of volume.
But never saw a kiter with an 80x35 cm flat woodboard, like Greg Drexler's use, in 5 knots.

Some people say it really doesnt matter what kind and size of board you have above, It all depends in your own skills and the characteristics of the hydrofoil.
Is this true in extra lightwind?

I guess the size of the board does matter in the early gliding in very lightwind, till the hydrofoil begins to work. Am i wrong?
Last edited by sabraxas on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am

The size , volume and shape of the board does help ALOT in extreme lightwinds. That doesnt mean you cannot start in the same wind with a R1V2 19m and a much smaller board, it just requires alot more technique and no mistakes.

User avatar
stefarius
Medium Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:53 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby stefarius » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Sabraxas, you are right. If you want to start or hit the water you like a small glide range
I use a 155 cm board in light wind under 8 knots.

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:36 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am
The size , volume and shape of the board does help ALOT in extreme lightwinds. That doesnt mean you cannot start in the same wind with a R1V2 19m and a much smaller board, it just requires alot more technique and no mistakes.
So, you say that i would be able to waterstart in 5 knots, for example, with a Tuna Spotz hydro with a 80x35 cm flat woodboard, a 19 m foil kite and a lot of skill?
Havent seen anybody in those conditions with that equipment.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am

sabraxas wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:36 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am
The size , volume and shape of the board does help ALOT in extreme lightwinds. That doesnt mean you cannot start in the same wind with a R1V2 19m and a much smaller board, it just requires alot more technique and no mistakes.
So, you say that i would be able to waterstart in 5 knots, for example, with a Tuna Spotz hydro with a 80x35 cm flat woodboard, a 19 m foil kite and a lot of skill?
Havent seen anybody in those conditions with that equipment.
Yes, but not any foil kite, needs to be a race kite. The reason you havent seen anyone do it, its because it doesnt make sense to do it , because there is a much higher chance of you swimming along with your foil kite.

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:45 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am


Yes, but not any foil kite, needs to be a race kite.
Ok.
Have you ever seen anyone?

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am

sabraxas wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:45 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am


Yes, but not any foil kite, needs to be a race kite.
Ok.
Have you ever seen anyone?
The race guys go with pretty small boards these days, i can waterstart with my r1v2 17m in 5 knots with a single downloop up to foiling, so i dont need much board to do it. I do need the board when i touchdown gybing or tacking.

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:57 am

Well, thanks for a much longer explanation, Pedro.
It does make sense.

But still have doubt if anyone can waterstart in 5 knots with such small board without a small gliding first.
In this case, we could even fix a stick with two pads in the mast

User avatar
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:40 am

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am


The race guys go with pretty small boards these days, i can waterstart with my r1v2 17m in 5 knots with a single downloop up to foiling, so i dont need much board to do it. I do need the board when i touchdown gybing or tacking.
How much is pretty small?
what size of board do you use?

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm

For extreme light winds i use 145x47 with lots of volume, racers are using 140x40


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests