Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


james
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby james » Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm

He is stuck in this feedback loop of nonsense or revised logic,

The last three America’s cups have all been won with wings what does that do with your ifko and sail world/Richard gladwell spouted nonsense. Hey the last cup was won with cyclists providing the power, ex Olympic cyclists that had never even sailed before! So much for sailing?

The same guy RG in “proving”kiting is not sailing says that a kite is a material stretched over a plastic frame with a tail and one line....sounds legit? 😂

Yes I am being facecious BUT taking a dictionary definition totally out of context or a ruling aimed at a different scenario you can make a decent case to the uninformed.

It’s that minipulation and deception I find so frustrating.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

pstkk wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm
This is great news. Let's just hope Neil Pryde doesn't get involved...
Why do you say that? Have you heard any of the recent feedback about the Foil/Board combo being used for the FR:X project? It's very fast and very stable.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm
pstkk wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm
This is great news. Let's just hope Neil Pryde doesn't get involved...
Why do you say that? Have you heard any of the recent feedback about the Foil/Board combo being used for the FR:X project? It's very fast and very stable.
Suspect is about worn what happen the last time kite was chosen

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm
Jzh_perth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 am
For the athletes that love kite racing, how is it a bad thing to be able to participate in the Olympic Games as a sailor? I understand what IFKO are saying, but in my country IFKO have no pathway or established infrastructure to support a racing scene - we rely heavily on local sailing clubs to provide start boats and safety vessels, marker buoys and clubhouse facilities. So being part of the sailing scene is what enables us to compete, which is what we want at the end of the day.

As much as IFKO rant and rave about the illegality of what is happening, what is their solution or alternative ? Why should our young athletes miss the opportunity to compete in a high profile event like the OG ?

And for those not interested in course racing, then this whole thing between WS/IKA / IFKO must be irrelevant and uninteresting ( i expect).
well said. I am happy for those who can participate in the Olympics...it must be magic.
A friend of mine went to the Olympics...a lifetime happening for him.

Maybe a compromise could be found?

IKA/WS take care of the racing and Olympia.
All other disciplines could be handled by Kitesports themselves, IFKO or whatever.

Now that would make sense to me.
If authorities want to meet with whom represent the sport to discuss, let's say, conditions to keep a spot open for kite - how do they pick witch federation should they speak with?

The same question could be asked about schools, syllabus, teachers licenses, etc, etc

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 37595
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby Toby » Wed May 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Depending the reason.
That could get easily addressed

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Toilet Stance
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9 / Brunotti 2face

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm

i was out kiting in the Hauraki Gulf and saw the Americas cup boat using a kite with my own eyes while kiting, the NZ Herald ran an article too. Oracles base was NZ. I have many friends that worked for AC.

Americas cup is a special event sanctioned by World Sailing. They sanctioned that a kite is not a sail. lol

The definition is that the yacht must be propelled by sails. A hydrofoil is a wing but does not propel.


It is another example of how kiting was chosen to be part of sailing purely for olympic $. Double standards and a huge conflicts of interests ensue. Sailing has latched onto kiting as a parasite.

Tobys idea is certainly an improvement to World sailings claim that World Sailing is the authority of all kiteboarding on water. The GKA got soley involved to protect the kite industries interests.

Don't know Richard Gladwell but he seems to be from the country rated one of the 2 least corrupt countries on earth...NZ.

The kind of things discussed here will be discussed in court no doubt, it is pretty interesting stuff! Playing with our toys out on the ocean arguing about who is going to get their pocket money, and who has the legal right to fu#ck another sport over.

Why is there no world championship freestyle tour any more, a tour that had been running for many years previous to World Sailings attempted involvment?

Because of World Sailings legal threats.

Why will kiters be banned from competing if they enter a rival event on their list of banned events?

Because of World Sailings legal threats.

Why are their no longer any competition pro freestylers that were so awesome at promoting our sport?

Because of world sailing.

Why is it is huge risk to create your own event / format as a kiter?

Because of world sailing " they are the world authority of all kiteboarding on water" They will make legal threats and steal the idea/ intellectual property. What next.. they are going to threaten the kite park league/ the triple S when it conflicts with sailings business goals by putting them on the list of banned events?

Why is it that the freestyle competition at one of the longest running and most prestigious kiting events Mondial Du Vent didnt hold the freestyle event with all the usual competitors that have supported developing and encouraging youth fir all those years

Because of World Sailing legal threats.

I love kiting, i dont like parasites that will create huge conflicts of interests.

I am looking ahead, looking out for kiting of which i like all disciplines.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 834
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

meh, trying to put extreme sports into the olympics is kinda lame. Do we really need a huge uptick in users? Seems like the kite industry is on a nice steady uptick and normally when there is a huge expansion nothing great ever happens in an extreme sport that relies on a scarce resource (ex. back country skiing, surfing, climbing)

But at least they aren't trying to put bigair in...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Toilet Stance
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9 / Brunotti 2face

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 17, 2018 8:13 am

I would say action sports/extreme sports whatever you call them tend to have the biggest push against becoming olympic by their participants. They get in a position where they don't necessarily want to be olympic because they know all the crap that goes with it. When skateboarding was announced an olympic sport instagram skaters did probably the biggest load of piss taking I have ever seen. Skateboarding is currently fighting a roller skating organisation for control of skateboarding.

The olympics will push judging/ competition based on iceskating for action sports and that in turn may kill the buzz/ interest/ industry of the sport. Snowboarding for example is now dead in the ass. It lost its coolness, creativity, progression, individual and freeriding spirit appeal.

Competition kiteboarding need to concentate on windy locations. The World Surf League started putting crap surf locations that offered bigger sponsorship money on the world tour.. it backfired big time$.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby james » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm
i was out kiting in the Hauraki Gulf and saw the Americas cup boat using a kite with my own eyes while kiting, the NZ Herald ran an article too. Oracles base was NZ. I have many friends that worked for AC.

Americas cup is a special event sanctioned by World Sailing. They sanctioned that a kite is not a sail. lol

The definition is that the yacht must be propelled by sails. A hydrofoil is a wing but does not propel.

not the foil but the massive multi part wing that replaced the mast and sail. You know your mates from the ac must have told you about? Made of carbon fibre and cylar film heat shrunk over the solid frame, powered by hydraulics and electronic stepper motors

They call it a wing, it propels. You say kites use wings, they also propel.



It is another example of how kiting was chosen to be part of sailing purely for olympic $. Double standards and a huge conflicts of interests ensue. Sailing has latched onto kiting as a parasite.

Tobys idea is certainly an improvement to World sailings claim that World Sailing is the authority of all kiteboarding on water. The GKA got soley involved to protect the kite industries interests.

Don't know Richard Gladwell but he seems to be from the country rated one of the 2 least corrupt countries on earth...NZ.
you must do? You have trotted out his words on other threads, linked to articles he has written or referenced

The kind of things discussed here will be discussed in court no doubt, it is pretty interesting stuff! Playing with our toys out on the ocean arguing about who is going to get their pocket money, and who has the legal right to fu#ck another sport over.


Why is there no world championship freestyle tour any more, a tour that had been running for many years previous to World Sailings attempted involvment?
no because the twat from
Best ran off with all the money and kites have generally been unable to put together anything resembling sustainability as soon as someone writes them a big cheque

Because of World Sailings legal threats.

Why will kiters be banned from competing if they enter a rival event on their list of banned events?

like when you were not allowed to compete on the KPWT and the PKRA at the same time? After 2002 and Mark Shinn won both? Like the same tour that prevented Gisela Pulido from competeing despite multiple world titles as she was too young but still a three time champion? All this Prior to WS evil meddling?

Because of World Sailings legal threats.

Why are their no longer any competition pro freestylers that were so awesome at promoting our sport?
maybe you should tell all the riders that compete at KPL events, marc Jacobs a fellow kiwi, Sam light, Aaron Hadlow, Jesse Richman, Noe Font etc that they don’t exist
Because of world sailing.

Why is it is huge risk to create your own event / format as a kiter?
sorry what?
Because of world sailing " they are the world authority of all kiteboarding on water" They will make legal threats and steal the idea/ intellectual property.
what has been stolen? Wtf?
What next.. they are going to threaten the kite park league/ the triple S when it conflicts with sailings business goals by putting them on the list of banned events?

tripple S is a stand alone event with no world title so don’t be so fucking stupid. KPL how is this event threatening WS business goals? And while we are at it, what are they then? I mean you think KPL is a threat so what are they threatening?

Why is it that the freestyle competition at one of the longest running and most prestigious kiting events Mondial Du Vent didnt hold the freestyle event with all the usual competitors that have supported developing and encouraging youth fir all those years

firstly no money, no money no event, secondly someone else came up with the sponsorship coin for another event that held it at a different location and time.

Or was that WS? Did they magically come up with the thousands of Euro needed and just gift it to the event organisers? Just for shits n giggles?


Because of World Sailing legal threats.

I love kiting, i dont like parasites that will create huge conflicts of interests.

I am looking ahead, looking out for kiting of which i like all disciplines.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Toilet Stance
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9 / Brunotti 2face

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am

Makes no sense, the ac sail they call a wing you talk about does not create lift.

World sailing created banned events and made legal threats.. world sailing is an absolute parasite feeding off kiteboarding.

You didnt declare if you have a conflict of interest or not in this debate, others have questioned this too but still no answer. People understand that these days and will not overlook that.

You don't know your freestylers from your park riders.

By kiters for kiters! Sailors stop hyjacking kiteboarding and concentrate on classes like the optimist.. 1000+ kids competing at open meetings, meanwhile world sailing are talking about inventing a new olympic format that may involve a kiting male female relay race, something that doesnt even exist rediculous... all focused on olympic $ and not for greater female participation ( of which kite racing would have one of the lowest participation rates of any potential olympic sport on earth, and poorer country participation.. what a joke.

World sailing need to get their priorities in order and stop with their rediculous clueless kiting ideas based on olympic viewership leave kiting alone, and concentrate on their own sport. Kiting should look after itself. Read through the submissions about kiting put forward by each countries sailing representative.. absolutely clueless.. because they dont have first clue what they are on about because they are sailors not kiters.

Then there is the safety aspect... kiters are killed because they fly. Seen any sailors killed on land before they reach the water even. Any sailing boats flying into trees, landing on roofs? The majority of kiting accidents are a result of flight and you want to charge sailors, not kiters, with looking after kiters safety.

Utter madness.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cglazier and 4 guests

cron