Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Kaunas
Gear: Flusurfer Soul 12, 21m
Flysplit 2 board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightwind kiteboard build, planing ahead

Postby phuqit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 am

Alright, first test results are in. I am not at all convinced infusion is the way to go now. While the 250g unidirectional carbon + 200g biax works just fine when laminated upon red cedar, and ~60cm x 20cm piece holds my weight just fine, I need to figure out how to laminate it consistently... Vacuum wasn't perfect though, first lesson learned...

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Alright, finally started with the real thing. Made a shape from the PVC board, then cut out the core ~1cm less than the final shape, will be sanding the edges and tips from 10mm to 3mm, then will pour the epoxy + carbon powder rails and inserts/fin reinforcements. Can't get proper PU or ABS rails within reasonable timeframe, so epoxy will have to do for now.
IMG_20180713_134839.jpg

fluidity
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving.

Postby fluidity » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 am

phuqit wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm
Alright, finally started with the real thing. Made a shape from the PVC board, then cut out the core ~1cm less than the final shape, will be sanding the edges and tips from 10mm to 3mm, then will pour the epoxy + carbon powder rails and inserts/fin reinforcements. Can't get proper PU or ABS rails within reasonable timeframe, so epoxy will have to do for now.
I see your belt sander on the table. I've stayed well away from those things for years now! Fast but terrible for getting a flat surface!
Got my own vacuum pump now as I'm also gearing up for some infusion moulding 8)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm

No need for perfect flat on top, providing the wood IS dressed well.

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I've finished the core - it was 3-4mm at the tips, and ~9mm at the center. Gradual thinning was done starting around 5cm from the pads area - hopefully that doesn't compromise the strength of the core too much.

Then, I've done the rails. It was messy as f***, infusion epoxy gets into every tiny little hole there is. I've used a PVC blank as base, and a cutout of a real board in same PVC sheet. Laid it down, pressed it down with bricks, then poured epoxy + 10% of carbon fiber powder mix into the rails. It started coming out from every possible hole there was, had to move it onto a plexi sheet to avoid damaging my living room floor :)

Putting the inserts failed miserably as well - I should have secured the bottom with a tape first, now half of the epoxy just bled out onto the bottom. Separating the outline PVC board from the bottom wasn't trivial either - cut my fingers couple of times - epoxy+carbon is sharp! Destroyed the bottom PVC board when doing that, too - it broke in a couple of places. Other than that, the rail is pretty tough - made a few samples, tried to break them with a hammer - no luck. Will use the same compound to pour fin holders and fins themselves, just for fun.

Now, I need to sand off the extra epoxy and trim the rail (outline moved during the rescue-the-floor phase) to something like 5-6mm. Gotta get myself a respirator for that, carbon dust is bad for your lungs I hear.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the result. Sanding and pouring the inserts (again) tomorrow, and laminating (hopefully) in a couple of days. With luck, I should be able to test drive it over the weekend!

not final, I thinned it quite a bit more
IMG_20180713_181417.jpg
playing Queen - Under pressure ft David Bowie in the background
IMG_20180713_194419.jpg
top view
IMG_20180715_174240.jpg
bottom - dat bleed radius :(
IMG_20180715_174311.jpg
insert, barely stuck with all the epoxy that bled out
IMG_20180715_174337.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Good effort man!

It's a journey which counts, not the destination:)

To help you with the destination, a lot can be 'premade', and the rails are #1 to solve before going further :)

I'll post again how I'm doing it and how fast this can be once you crack it!

Trust me, well worth of investing in a mold etc...

D.

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Hey mate, I've read all your posts, and I appreciate the amount of know-how you bring into the discussion. I'm just trying to get something going as soon as possible, and waiting for shipment from USA is a bloody showstopper. Can't get proper PU here in EU :(

Return to “Board Builders”