Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Setting up TT board straps correctly? For safety?

forum for kitesurfers

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Setting up TT board straps correctly? For safety?

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

In windsurfing some people recommend board straps to be setup in such a manner that foot is only partial trough strap and only part of the bit toe is visible on other side. Logic is it easier to take foot out of the strap in emergency. So straps are setup quit narrow so foot stopped from going in all the way.

Talking about TT boards mainly:
My kitesurfing instructor said foot should be well in - all the way basically and quit firmly.

In my very limited beginner experience such setup might make it more difficult to get rid of the board in emergency so I am not 100% sure this is best.
Some people here suggest very loose straps - so foot can even rotate inside straps.

What do you think is correct setup is? Loose/wide? (for TT riding and/or for freestyle/jumps - could be different I guess).

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Setting up TT board straps correctly? For safety?

Postby matth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

I like the feeling of snug but not locked in. I will squeeze my toes during jumps or the few tricks I do to lock in the board even better. It's good knowing I can kick the board off when I won't.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Re: Setting up TT board straps correctly? For safety?

Postby edt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 pm

I think your intuition is correct. The worst thing that can happen in straps is one foot in and one foot out.

There are two ways this can happen.

1) the straps are so loose that the foot can rotate inside the strap. In a hard landing this means that one strap can get around the ankle. If this happens you can not get the board off the foot because the board twists locking that one strap in place. Very dangerous! Do not make the straps so loose that the foot can rotate.

2) the straps are so tight that you can't get the foot out. You are kicking and kicking to release the board but nothing happens because it is so tight. Now if you are doing handle passes you will need the straps to be incredibly tight so the board doesn't come off but ok then maybe you should be riding boots.

So just make them medium loose. That's how most people ride anyway.

Now there a few riders that suggest super tight --- these guys are doing handle passes or megaloops, you don't have to imitate them, or they are doing board offs. Board offs, you want the straps super loose, and the way you look the board on your foot is by pinching your foot against the strap, but it's not optimal for safety because the board can lock in place around the ankle, but if you are doing boards off I do recommend them super loose, just makes it easier to do the trick just be a little careful if you think you are crashing the landing to kick the board entirely off.

Return to “Kitesurfing”