Postby vannibombonato » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm
vannibombonato wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm
sebastienbolhuis wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Hi guys,

I'm quite new in the kitesurfing scene and I was looking to buy a harness.
Now I found two and am doubting between the 2018 Mystic Star and the 2016 Prolimit Predator.

I was wondering if somebody has any experience with one of these harnesses or could give me some advice.
Also, is there a big difference between a single strap and double strap system?
Thirdly, what impact does the size of the back end of your harness have on performance and support/comfort?

I've looked up some reviews on the predator, which were all very positive, but have not found any on the Mystic Star.

Thanks a lot!!!
Buy a hardshell, it does make a difference.

So it’s either Ride, Mystic X, or Ion something I believe. But do go hardshell.

sebastienbolhuis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What harness to choose? Mystic vs Prolimit

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am

POACHER wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 pm
So the first thing everyone here (myself included) will tell you is to go try them on. Don't go by what someone says is "the ultimate" harness because it really comes down to fit. Everyone's body is shaped really differently, so hard to go based off of some random net suggestions.....

However, I have some experience with both companies' harnesses. I had a Pro Limit Predator for a couple of years (liked it!), and followed it up with the Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (liked it better) for another year. I really am a fan of Pro Limits harnesses. They just seem to really hold up well and fit my average/athletic 5'11" and 190 lbs frame well (size Medium) I like the Fat Bar entry/exit system too. Easy on/off. The straps they used are tube webbing and they never frayed, broke or prematurely gave me any issues.

Since then I've tried a few of the hardshell harnesses. I think these are even more important to try on in person to find fit. The 2017 Ride Engine Carbon I bought just didn't work with my back shape well, and the strap system wasn't really holding up so after a few months it was punted. I'm currently using a Mystic Majestic X and I love it. Less curve to it's lumbar so it doesn't create a pressure point on me. It also uses a quick release entry/exist with double webbing straps that are holding up great after a year of use. It's also very light and so far durable.

So this last winter, a friend of mine who has the same Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (M) asked me if he could try my Mystic. So we swapped and went out for a 30 min. session. After the session, I noticed my ribs were a little chaffed and quite sore. I was surprised at just how different the same harness I used to own fit me so drastically from the Mystic. I couldn't wait to get back to my MX. (that friend recently just bought the same harness as well, so he too was sold.)
Not a dig at Pro Limit, I think the difference was more in the traditional harness vs. hardshell and I'll never go back to a standard harness again. I'd love to try a Pro Limit Vapor hardshell harness sometime, but they're just hard to find in the States.

If I was new to kiting I would look at the standard Majestic hardshell and not pay the premium for the X carbon. If you have a chance try a Pro Limit Vapor too. I think the hardshell harness is worth the extra $$$.
In the end, go for what FITS!
Hi again,

I tried on a majestic X in a shop and it felt really good indeed. However, it's quite out of my price range.
Therefore I think I'm going for the kite waist pro. Just wanted to ask why you liked it more than the predator? Was it stiffer?

Kitemenn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Dutch beaches
Gear: Evo 11-7m Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Whats the difference in price? 50-100euro? Its worth the money unless you think this is a temp phase you're in and next year you will be doing a different sport. Otherwise pay the extra and you will benefit from the beginning! Manero EXO harnesses are also nice just go by some shops and see if they have some 2017/16 models which they offer for a discount! Or try at the shop and search online for a better deal! You dont want to be cheap with your harness

cor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm
Buy a hardshell, it does make a difference.

So it’s either Ride, Mystic X, or Ion something I believe. But do go hardshell.
+1

Hardshell and never going back (Mystic X). My gf has now bought one as well and is happier then ever. All back problems gone, even after several hours on the water.

Ion however does not provide the same hardshells as Mystic or Ride Engine. The Ion Composite series is way more flexible and barely qualifies as "hard shell" in my opinion.

cor
Medium Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:48 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm
Whole reason for making so called hardshells are short spreader bars.
No. Main reason for hardshells is that they distribute the load from the pulling kite and prevents the harness to squeeze your organs and ribs, making a hardshell way more comfortable than a softshell. Larger spreader bars are just a side effect.

sebastienbolhuis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

POACHER wrote:
So the first thing everyone here (myself included) will tell you is to go try them on. Don't go by what someone says is "the ultimate" harness because it really comes down to fit. Everyone's body is shaped really differently, so hard to go based off of some random net suggestions.....

However, I have some experience with both companies' harnesses. I had a Pro Limit Predator for a couple of years (liked it!), and followed it up with the Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (liked it better) for another year. I really am a fan of Pro Limits harnesses. They just seem to really hold up well and fit my average/athletic 5'11" and 190 lbs frame well (size Medium) I like the Fat Bar entry/exit system too. Easy on/off. The straps they used are tube webbing and they never frayed, broke or prematurely gave me any issues.

Since then I've tried a few of the hardshell harnesses. I think these are even more important to try on in person to find fit. The 2017 Ride Engine Carbon I bought just didn't work with my back shape well, and the strap system wasn't really holding up so after a few months it was punted. I'm currently using a Mystic Majestic X and I love it. Less curve to it's lumbar so it doesn't create a pressure point on me. It also uses a quick release entry/exist with double webbing straps that are holding up great after a year of use. It's also very light and so far durable.

So this last winter, a friend of mine who has the same Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (M) asked me if he could try my Mystic. So we swapped and went out for a 30 min. session. After the session, I noticed my ribs were a little chaffed and quite sore. I was surprised at just how different the same harness I used to own fit me so drastically from the Mystic. I couldn't wait to get back to my MX. (that friend recently just bought the same harness as well, so he too was sold.)
Not a dig at Pro Limit, I think the difference was more in the traditional harness vs. hardshell and I'll never go back to a standard harness again. I'd love to try a Pro Limit Vapor hardshell harness sometime, but they're just hard to find in the States.

If I was new to kiting I would look at the standard Majestic hardshell and not pay the premium for the X carbon. If you have a chance try a Pro Limit Vapor too. I think the hardshell harness is worth the extra $$$.
Hi again, I went to the shop and tried on the Mystic Majestic X and it felt really good indeed. However it is out of my price range and therefore I tend to go for the Prolimit Kite Waist Pro.
I just wanted to ask you why you liked it more than the Predator. Was it stiffer?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: EAGLE 1X12

Postby POACHER » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

sebastienbolhuis wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm
POACHER wrote:

Hi again, I went to the shop and tried on the Mystic Majestic X and it felt really good indeed. However it is out of my price range and therefore I tend to go for the Prolimit Kite Waist Pro.
I just wanted to ask you why you liked it more than the Predator. Was it stiffer?
Hey sorry for the late reply......I like the Kite Waist Pro better because it was a little taller, fit my back better and just felt more supportive. Very negligible difference, but a difference.

On the Mystic Majestic X, as I mentioned in my original post, skip the X version and just go hardshell Majestic. I think it's a $150 savings over the X. Go that route if the X fit you well as they are 100% the same other than the carbon.
I rode for 2+ hours last night (it's been over a month since my last session....) and today I don't have any rib soreness or back issues.

Trust me, don't skimp on comfort....Dig deep!
Thank me later.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 am

[/quote]

[/quote]
Trust me, don't skimp on comfort....Dig deep!
Thank me later.
[/quote]

This^. The one place you don’t want to skimp because of cost is the harness. It has a lot to do with control and even more with comfort. If it hurts every time you ride, that really sucks bad. Like ski boots, its where you’re gear and body meet and comfort and control is paramount. And yes, it is hard to find a good fit and may take more than one try but it matters a lot to so do what you have to to get it right.

Return to “Kitesurfing”