Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Boards for progression

forum for kitesurfers

davetaff
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: aberavon
Favorite Beaches: Bundaburg Australia, Coral coast fiji, Aberavon wales, Thong Nai Koh pang yang Thailand
Style: free style
Gear: 9m Zeeko 2010, 12m eclips 2080, Airush Protoy 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Freestyle Boards for progression

Postby davetaff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi all,
Short question:
What boards would you suggest for progressing in powered wake/ freestyle tricks?

Long Question:
I've been kiting for about 5 years now and I've been using a 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow board but it's been delaminatin and I finally split it doing kiteloops. I loved that board but I'm on the market for a new one and could do with some advice on a board that would aid me to progress with wake/freestyle tricks. I would love to be able to land some handle passes soon. I'm 6ft 3inch tall and weigh 82kg. I kite in the UK so a fair amount of waves and chop. Quite like the look of the 2019 liquid force echo or the Flysurfer Radical 6 but for no other reason other than they look good. I use pads rather than boots and don't really fancy boots yet, but if they would help me progress faster, I'm happy to change my mind. All suggestions would be appreciated because at the moment I'm struggling to find a list of which boards are designed for freestyle. Thanks in advance.
Dave

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 9
Gear: The best

Re: Freestyle Boards for progression

Postby slim_charles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm

davetaff wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:31 pm
Hi all,
Short question:
What boards would you suggest for progressing in powered wake/ freestyle tricks?

Long Question:
I've been kiting for about 5 years now and I've been using a 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow board but it's been delaminatin and I finally split it doing kiteloops. I loved that board but I'm on the market for a new one and could do with some advice on a board that would aid me to progress with wake/freestyle tricks. I would love to be able to land some handle passes soon. I'm 6ft 3inch tall and weigh 82kg. I kite in the UK so a fair amount of waves and chop. Quite like the look of the 2019 liquid force echo or the Flysurfer Radical 6 but for no other reason other than they look good. I use pads rather than boots and don't really fancy boots yet, but if they would help me progress faster, I'm happy to change my mind. All suggestions would be appreciated because at the moment I'm struggling to find a list of which boards are designed for freestyle. Thanks in advance.
Dave
No specific model to suggest, tbh they're all much of a muchness. Anything 4-5cm rocker, stiff and with some channeling on the bottom will do you fine (like your hadlow). Switching to bindings sooner will help you more in the long run, start as you mean to go on. Get a cheapo used board and use the money to find some decent bindings(don't go velcro) :)

davetaff
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: aberavon
Favorite Beaches: Bundaburg Australia, Coral coast fiji, Aberavon wales, Thong Nai Koh pang yang Thailand
Style: free style
Gear: 9m Zeeko 2010, 12m eclips 2080, Airush Protoy 2007

Postby davetaff » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks Slim. When u say "switching to binding"do u mean boots?
It would be great to have a list of a few boards which match your description is anyone with the knowledge could list them. It seems every board description says they can do everything.... so struggling to identify what boards are actually designed for freestyle.
Also, can boots fit on most boards or are they specific to certain boards? Thanks.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 9
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 am

davetaff wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Thanks Slim. When u say "switching to binding"do u mean boots?
It would be great to have a list of a few boards which match your description is anyone with the knowledge could list them. It seems every board description says they can do everything.... so struggling to identify what boards are actually designed for freestyle.
Also, can boots fit on most boards or are they specific to certain boards? Thanks.
Yeh boots/bindings same thing. Your right, ignore all the bla bla bs, specs is all that counts... numbers. Off the top of my head I know tona pops spoken highly of n I personally like the old cab custom n the Airush wakestyle(forgot the name). Boots will go straight on any modern board, not all boards can handle them but anything marketed wakestyle should be capable. Should say on their product page.

Return to “Kitesurfing”