Gear: Cabrinha, North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Casualty in Sicily

Postby kite_hh » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 am

RickI wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:50 pm
[...]
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2372851
Thank you for posting this. I did not know and it is a scary yet interesting read.

I stumbled over this paragraph: "People left right and centre were trying to fire their safety but the load was to much to fire off from Naish to slingy not people where on their knees going across the beach tugging with both hands at the safety yet nothing!"

I have two questions regarding this sentence:

1. Does "fire the safety" mean using the quick release to get the kite to flag out or is it the complete separation of the kite?

2. I was unaware there could be such a thing as "too much load". I was assuming both ejection mechanisms (quick release as well as complete ejection) work fine even under immense load. I am not doubting what is reported, nevertheless I would be interested if this is something I should be worried about, something that should be adfressed or may even be solved. Is this info still valid 8 years later?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 120 and 135
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 set
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 13m

Postby TomW » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm

It's amazing only 1 person was killed or injured if the video is indeed from the spot and incident.
It's a sorry state for his family.

I look at that video and have a visceral reaction to it. There's no way I would even stand outside with that approaching. It would be Difficult if out on the water. I'd probably eject kite on the water and drift with leashed kite, then be ready to release the leash if kite gets picked up.

My local spot, I'd have seen it coming and been on beach with kite packed down. Or more likely, I wouldn't even be kiting because the forecast/radar would have told me there's a risk for thunderstorms.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 am

1. Does "fire the safety" mean using the quick release to get the kite to flag out or is it the complete separation of the kite?

I believe it is analogous to flagging the kite out although not all kites take that approach any more. I started calling it "emergency depowering" the kite some years back given the variability in approaches. I don't believe he meant to release the kite entirely.

2. I was unaware there could be such a thing as "too much load". I was assuming both ejection mechanisms (quick release as well as complete ejection) work fine even under immense load. I am not doubting what is reported, nevertheless I would be interested if this is something I should be worried about, something that should be adfressed or may even be solved. Is this info still valid 8 years later?

Since the French developed the AFNOR NF S52-503 standard for kitesurf quick releases and the compliance of most mainstream manufacturers I thought this was a thing of the past as well. That is when the bar manufacturers got on board with the standard. It could be 2010 predated some compliance and of course the kites in use could have been older too.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 am

I'm not an expert of bars but my Core bar seems to be totally unaware of load The release mechanism is rotative and does not "depend" on the chicken loop load, they are two completely separate thing. There's no relation between the rotation of the safety mechanism and the CL load, once the safety rotates the CL is released. It's like opening a trap. I'm not saying is a 100% safe system, there are of course other things you have to care (sand, corrosion, etc.) but if the system is in perfect conditions it will for sure work under any load.

Return to “Kitesurfing”