Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish XL surf wing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


airsail
Medium Poster
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 am
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish XL surf wing

Postby airsail » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Has anyone had a chance to try the Naish XL Surf wing on a kitefoil. I’m 80kg/176lbs, currently riding the Naish medium surf, maybe an upgrade is in order?

Wazza Foil
Rare Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby Wazza Foil » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 pm

I hope to today if the rain eases - 76kg and been on the medium for 8 months.

airsail
Medium Poster
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 am
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Queens
Favorite Beaches: Queens, Scarbs
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Bularoo 7, Yaga Pro 11, HP10&12, FS Psycho2 17,
Cardboard 136x46, Nobile 555 131x40
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby airsail » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:07 am

Excellent, look forward to see how you found it.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby Dwight » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:53 pm

I don’t like the XL kiting. L is better. XL too stiff turning. I could feel no advantage, only negative over L for foiling. Leave the XL for other sports, windsurfing, SUP etc.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10119
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Dwight wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:53 pm
I don’t like the XL kiting. L is better. XL too stiff turning. I could feel no advantage, only negative over L for foiling. Leave the XL for other sports, windsurfing, SUP etc.
Hmm, bummer to hear that. I just got an XL but have not tried it kiting (yet). I love the L..the agility is pretty insane for such a big wing IMO. I got the XL primarily for surfing, but will definitely try it kiting too. Once it gets windy.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Norah Head
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Airush Ultra

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155/130, Naish Thrust Surf L/XL Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:13 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 pm
Dwight wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:53 pm
I don’t like the XL kiting. L is better. XL too stiff turning. I could feel no advantage, only negative over L for foiling. Leave the XL for other sports, windsurfing, SUP etc.
Hmm, bummer to hear that. I just got an XL but have not tried it kiting (yet). I love the L..the agility is pretty insane for such a big wing IMO. I got the XL primarily for surfing, but will definitely try it kiting too. Once it gets windy.
I prefer the XL over the L in the surf. Just a bit slower, making it easier to maintain control and turn/carve.

JAW
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Colorado
Favorite Beaches: SPI, kite beach Maui, Kailua Oahu, Nicolas canyon Malibu
Style: foil
Gear: Naish kites, own custom boards, own custom foils, Naish Thrust Surf foil,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby JAW » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 am

I kite with the thrust surf medium wing and really like it. I have a surf large and the XL and found the xl to be way too stable. I put the standard rear wing on the xl and it improved the performance. I then cut 1 inch off of each end of the standard rear wing and the xl was way better. Still not as nimble as the medium, but a lot more fun.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Norah Head
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Airush Ultra

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155/130, Naish Thrust Surf L/XL Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 am

JAW wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 am
I kite with the thrust surf medium wing and really like it. I have a surf large and the XL and found the xl to be way too stable. I put the standard rear wing on the xl and it improved the performance. I then cut 1 inch off of each end of the standard rear wing and the xl was way better. Still not as nimble as the medium, but a lot more fun.
The smaller rear wing makes it a lot more fun.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5864
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 am

I didn't like it kiting either, but it was on a 50cm mast so maybe it was that.

Funny, I found it too twitchy and reactive to what the water was doing, was constantly keeping it under control...

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10119
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish XL surf wing

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Now I got all excited again. Pretty stoked to test the different wings. Just strapped for time to make changes to gear.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cloudsfan, Ramkiter and 4 guests

cron