Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

Postby grigorib » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pm

- Yes, racing and freeride
- Pick a larger wing - Moses/Slingshot 633 or Lift 150/170/200 or Slingshot H4/68/76
- 30-35” mast is fine. 40-42” allows you to edge like mad. 24-28” are good for shallows
- Pocket boards are fun and awesome
- Any of above setup options works behind a boat great

Aluminum is fine but heavy. Carbon is easy to carry but more expensive

BigZ
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, USA

Re: Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

Postby BigZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 am

Hi Stevez

Where did you get 87cm mast for Kenalu?

Thanks
stevez wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:50 am
I'm not sure if there are 2 or 3 styles in 2018. I'm not sure if general free riding, mainly on flat water, counts as a separate style to wave riding on a sup / surf foil. If it's on bigger wings and smaller kites, I suppose they're pretty close. As for racing, that's a whole world apart, and a completely different quiver of pricey gear.
I spent a quite a while on a Stringy foil, which I really liked. Then after picking up a Gofoil and riding that in the waves, my whole outlook changed, and I can't go back to riding regular kitefoils in the waves. I'm now riding the kenalu foil. This may be best deal out there at the moment, less than $1000 for a carbon setup. I got both the 775 (1500cm2) and 580 (1050cm2) wings, with a 87cm mast (which is my ideal length). I also have the stock 66cm mast. I use the 775 for waves, and the 580 is a really nice freeride foil for flat water.

stevez
Medium Poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Moses hydrofoil
BRM cloud
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

Postby stevez » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 am

BigZ wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 am
Hi Stevez

Where did you get 87cm mast for Kenalu?

Thanks
I got it from Kenalu directly.
Their stock mast is 66cm, but they can make different sizes to order, at least they did for me. Up to max 90 I think. Makes a big difference.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, USA

Re: Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

Postby BigZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks.

By the way, how do you like your Ke Nalu foils for kitesurfing?
stevez wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 am
BigZ wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 am
Hi Stevez

Where did you get 87cm mast for Kenalu?

Thanks
I got it from Kenalu directly.
Their stock mast is 66cm, but they can make different sizes to order, at least they did for me. Up to max 90 I think. Makes a big difference.

slowboat
Medium Poster
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Not much
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding Styles and best foils for curvy carving...

Postby slowboat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pm
- Yes, racing and freeride
- Pick a larger wing - Moses/Slingshot 633 or Lift 150/170/200 or Slingshot H4/68/76
- 30-35” mast is fine. 40-42” allows you to edge like mad. 24-28” are good for shallows
- Pocket boards are fun and awesome
- Any of above setup options works behind a boat great

Aluminum is fine but heavy. Carbon is easy to carry but more expensive
Agree with above. I would add LF Impulse/Cloud 9 P24 and Cloud 9 P27.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OzBungy, Regis-de-giens, SENDIT! and 2 guests

cron