All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

An idea was brought up recently that might move things in this direction in kiteboarding if the techniques are developed. It isn't as easy or convenient as current practices.

For those of us who have been injured, that wasn't very easy or convenient to deal with either was it? Maybe this is an idea that we should kick around a bit and think about ...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
An idea was brought up recently............

I'm here to learn, helps to discuss ideas or at least read everyones views for study.

Watsup?KG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It has to do with an old practice, launching and landing without being connected to your control bar or being "unhooked." Four line kites complicate things a bit but it may be worth refining the techniques.

The analysis of the 2002 accident/fatality experience suggests that such a technique could really slash the injury rate. This will give technology a chance to catchup with the development of new, more reliable and hopefully automatic depowering systems and buy more time for the dissemination of safer kiteboarding practices without necessarily paying the price in additional, avoidable injuries and fatalities.

Right now there is a startling increasing trend in serious kiteboarding accidents worldwide. We can work to avoid this if we choose to. It is up to us. More about this idea at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... forum=1&18

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-01-11 16:17 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

for me it is simple. kiteboarding is getting even more dangerous with every new technical and technological improvement. most "safety" labeled features are simply depower and not effective at all. plus you have to know your kite well and have if not talent to kite then you certainly need to have acquired competence - some techniques along with kitepower awareness, competence and common sense. sometimes also day form makes the differece.
There have been simple systems that worked as both depower and safety in the past. now they are gone and nothing seems to work better than lofting.
but in this what turns out to be the wild west relived is what i like in it so.
last JJASON months I had a chance to see what it was like at the beginning of the Kiteboarding era . First time in 15 years I went to see my home town in a country new on the kiteboarding map. My hometown beach in JJA&S months this year was packed full by towell spreading public except for a small narrow section shadowed by a cliff. that is where I could launch - in an acrobatic way tho without risking picking up the people around ! ( 100 ft ragged and trees cliff behind your kite in 16-20 kts imagine aerodynamics)
At places like that I always ride with a full dep line.
It was great to be the first kiteboarder sighted and to have perfect Americas Cup wind range plus waves in the sun for myself and some Formulas hunting in the luffs.
imagine guys and gals just watching you with awe or smile and congratulate you whenever you came close.
but thats where you need your awareness and competence. riding in a kiteboarding-naive area is I guess like riding a rally - you need a perfect setup, and to be in the zone.
if I had seen then another kiteboarder there I would think like you now.
What is he doing there?!
the difference is that I can stall my kite 100% anytime and that I have 19 year marine experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:59 pm 
Quote:
On 2003-01-11 17:25, ccat wrote:
the difference is that I can stall my kite 100% anytime and that I have 19 year marine experience.

So what are you doing or what are you using?

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

from "launching unhooked"

RE: "well engineered trim cleat"

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 1&start=15

KG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteGlider on 2003-01-11 18:19 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

There is something to be said for keeping it simple. I ride 4-line LEI's with a wake.
My bars have front lines tied to the bar with an airush depower strap.
No chicken loop or shackle ... only the fixed loop.
Before I launch I pull the depower strap.
If things go wrong on launch I let go of the bar and the leash is deployed (which I have had to do a couple times).
It works (for me)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

starting just unhooked is yet another bleary concept esp with all those different kite systems now.
you have to be hooked to stay in control.

to stay in control on starting you must start hooked on the 3rd/5th line that is attached to kite so it fully depowers kite in case of emergency.
it is easy with foils and imaginable with LEIs.
just dont say like - I donno where to attach that line.
after letting go of the bar the kite has to immediately assume a stalling position.
That position with LEI even a frontline leading 4liner it is most probably just "belly up & backwards".
I know it is not so glorious esp as it means that it wouldnt sychro with the depower.
thats why it seems it would be good to make it clear there are no universal technique sets for all kite types.
We would have to restructure the whole discourse and start from a stalling effective position or sth like that.
...have to go now hover aroun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

need fresh air
one more thing RickI, KiteGlider and others perhaps need to create a workshop or sth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

I mean it would be great to create a safety discourse forum perhaps even copyrighted within this forum.
Need to ask Tony...
but i have to go for a walk now

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next