All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: KEEP 'EM FLYING!!! - Protecting Our Access to RIDE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

K I t e b o a r d I n g … takes off!!!

One approach to keeping ‘em flying!

February 12, 2003 ***

You have been kiteboarding for a while or have just discovered this excellent sport. You want to ride and now pay particular attention to flags, swaying trees, white caps or in other words … WIND! This sport can be addicting and delivers a great deal of stoke and pure joy while you rip along. You aren’t alone though, there are more guys showing up on the beach with each passing month. Some days there are quite a few guys on the water. This sport is growing that is a good thing but it comes with a potential downside as well.

• Have you seen guys launching and landing upwind and near to bystanders?
• Not using kite leashes because of ….?
• Riding or jumping close to or even over bathers?
• Jumping onshore and worse upwind of bystanders?
• Standing around with their kite parked overhead waiting for the next bus or STRONG GUST to loft them?
• Rigging up way over powered or in squally conditions and telling folks “I can handle it?â€

Last edited by RickI on Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:57 pm 
Frequent Poster

thanks for the excellent info Ricki :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for looking it over. We need to move to take care of our ability to have at this sport in a free and unrestricted way, if we can. It all comes down to responsible riding in most cases.

Unfortunately, a prime, World renouned launch is under threat again. More about this appears at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6110

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sad info about the possible ban at the Gorge.

but we can do something, to avoid this to happen at our beaches:

by reading Ricks posts exactly and keep these in mind while riding and handling the gear!!!

this would help a lot.

Time to act.

Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Most of us are hooked on this sport. If we are lucky and go at it in a way to keep us off the regulators gun scopes, we should have at it with few unrestrictions for a long time to come.

There have been restrictions and actual bans though and like minded riders got together and worked their way through discussions with the regulators back on to the water. It would help the rest of us and the sport to know, what worked in these cases.

So, over to you. What do you do to keep kiteboarding access open at your launches? What works the best, how are you organized and how have you managed to get riders onboard and supporting your approach?

Pressure on free access to kiteboard is building in some areas, it would be good to know about the successes.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

RickI wrote:
What do you do to keep kiteboarding access open at your launches? What works the best, how are you organized and how have you managed to get riders onboard and supporting your approach?

-I always use an attached, fully-tested depowering leash, even though I also use a snap shackle.

-I always stay well clear of everybody downwind, particularly non-kiteboarders (pedestrians, waders, swimmers, kayakers, windsurfers, boaters, etc.).

-I keep a log of how many hours I've spent on the water safely (currently 885 hours of safe riding), to help prove that any accident that does happen is not due to the sport, but other unusual circumstances.

-I helped start the local kiteboarding association (once it got going, it's kept going on it's own, even though a few of the first of us aren't actively involved any more). Our latest project: Training Lifeguards to safely rescue runaway kites, & riders in distress.

-Getting other riders "onboard" (no pun intended, I'm sure) is the hardest part. How do you convince the macho dudes who think they can "just hang on" to use a leash? One of my best analogies so far is to ask them how they'd feel if I were to ride leashless, directly upwind of their kids, mother (insert appropriate loved-one here). NOBODY can "just hang on" after they're knocked out by getting slammed into something. For anybody who thinks runaways aren't dangerous, we now have Silke's unfortunate death to prove them wrong (let's not allow it to be for nothing).

[ 6 posts ]