All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Naish experimenting with G-Arc Design
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:36 am 
Medium Poster

On a recent trip to Hawaii I saw an unusual kite on the beach at Kailua (Naish home ground) It looked sort of home made and really attracted my attention. It was basically a G-Arc :o (twin skinned ram air foil) with a small inflatable bladder running through the leading edge. It flew on four lines and the exterior shape and design were all Peter Lynn. The person flying it was Don Montaigue, the chief designer for Naish. He would only say that it was a prototype for a snowboarding kite. Hmmm.... then why the bladder? Anyway, with this and the recent Naish "borrowing" of Flysurfer technology that was documented here, it seems that the next generation of kites could get quite interesting and maybe end this childish bickering about foils vs. LEI.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:30 am 
Wau ! Now its only hard to wait until they come 8)
Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

yeh i cant wait for naish to 'invent' the foil kite, i can't understand why no one has done it already.

naish will release a fully sealed foil kite, for snow use, that just happens to work on water as well, and then release a full on water foil when people get used to the idea of them doing foils. its bound to happen.

Post subject: Naish not alone
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I understand that many LEI kite-builders have been takinga closer look to Peter Lynn's design for his various ARC kites. Peter Lynn has more experience with designing kites than probably all these guys put together. He is only recently focusing his attention on kitesurfing after a long career of building complex flying creations.

I believe the reason the bladder is in the kite is Peter Lynn's patent on the "internal bridle". The ARC is not a foil, which is a bridled kite. The ARC has no bridle. It is built into the kite, internally, which creates a hybrid foil/ram with excellent setup/takedown and flight characteristics much like an inflatable. I guess that's why ARC users love 'em so much!

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:40 am 
When Naish build them with the inflatable bladder inside can they get by the Peter Lynn patent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ahhh Tell me Im wrong now.

Rod

Post subject: Peter Lynn Patent
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
When Naish build them with the inflatable bladder inside can they get by the Peter Lynn patent?

I believe so. Peter Lynns patent covers the internal bridle. If Naish implements a tube in the LE, they could claim the tube adds structure, thereby circumventing the patent. The kite doesn't need the bladder in the LE, and IMO will just increase setup time and complexity for self-landing/launching. Why mess with a design that's so good?

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wasn't this essentially the design F-one used in their abandoned Slider kites? Essentially an ARC, but with an inflato internal frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:30 pm 
Medium Poster

Yes... when I saw this kite I was wondering "why the bladder?". It is the weight of the bladders that make the LEI kites fall out of the sky. The beauty (and genius) of the Peter Lynn designs is that they don't need bladders or bridle lines to hold their shape. It did sort of seem like combining the worst of both worlds. But... after an assisted launch, the Naish proto kite did perform very well. The problem with Peter Lynn is that he is just a bit too esoteric. He doesn't seem to realize that it is not enought to have the best kites... you also need marketing, and a pro team. I'd bet there would be a lot more people riding them if PL paid a few pros to ride, and touted his kites with phrases like: " Internal Vortex Drive Technology", " Variable Control Dynamics", and "Power Flow Tip Spars". By the way... PL had tip spars long ago on the first Arcs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

COuldnt agree more you have to spend money to get money. Hell If I was good enough I would do it for free just to kick LEI riders asses. weve got the edge we just have to use it.

Rod

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next