All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Detailed pictures of the Ocean Rodeo "PunchOut" sy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:52 pm 
Rare Poster

Guys - Here comes a long post!

I've put together a series of detailed product photos of the Ocean Rodeo Joystick bar with the punch out release system. This is also in the current thread about safety releases but I thought that other people might miss it there.

PIC 1 - The complete setup, note the traditional releases on the fixed loop, chicken loop and leash.

PIC 2 - Close up of the two loops.

PIC 3 - Close up of the chicken loop from the side, showing the pin system, release ball and the white dyneema line which dissapears up through the depower line to the stopper for activating the punch out system.

PIC 4 - Shows the neoprene cover under which is the stopper at the end of the depower line. Punching against this stopper pulls the white dyneema and opens the chicken loop.

PIC 5 - Shows the stopper at the end of the depower line with the neoprene cover removed.

PIC 6 AND 7 (SERIES) - Pic 6 shows the system before the punch out release is used. Pic 7 shows what happens when the system is activated: The bar pushes the stopper on about 4cm and pulls the dyneema line through the depower line. This pulls the velcro open on the chicken loop and releases.

PIC 8 - Shows the chicken loop after release via the punch out system.

PIC 9 - Shows the stopper (with the neoprene cover removed) after release.

I hope that this helps, I find that the system is foolproof & very safe.

ian

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:34 pm 
Medium Poster

Very nice, thanks Ian! I wouldn't mind purchasing just the depower loop and line and adapting it to my existing bar, but I'm guessing OR isn't marketing that option...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Perhaps this punch out system can be used/modified to get more loft. After lift off, how about punching out of the chicken loop while still holding onto the bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:01 pm 
Medium Poster

Currently OR aren't supplying the Parts as Seperates. Just Complete. They say they may do in the Future. I'll keep you posted :thumb:

Last edited by Kitedemon on Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:11 pm 
Selling the depower line and system on its own would be a great option for those who don't ant to have to buy a whole new bar. That said, the bar itself is lovely too so maybe it isn't too bad...

As for punching out mid air to get more loft!........ ehhhhhh...... no. :wink:

Thanks for the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Here is a question for you.

What is to stop the bar auto-releasing if you go out over powered and let go of the bar on a jump from fully powered up? I.e. you don't really want the QR releasing at 20 foot +.

Second question, obviously there is a stopper at the top. If the kite won't release when you let go of the bar, the stopper must be pretty strong. Would that not make it too strong for a woman to use it for example?

Not trying to diss the system, but just trying to work out if there are any flaws or if it is as practical as it seems. I like the idea that people don't have to find a ball, because most beginners tend ot get the grip of death during an incident, and often the ball is under you if you are getting dragged on land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Mission Man,

We were talking about exactly that over on this topic: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8953 yesterday (it happened to me with no sign of even thinking about releasing) . It seems that Ocean Rodeo have got the balance just right.

It would definitely not be too hard for a woman to open, I think that the force generated when letting go of the bar from fully powered to fully depowered is actually quite minor in comparison to a good "punch" by the rider.

I'm not saying that this bar is never going to release unwantedly, it may possibly do it to you twice or 3 times in its lifetime of say 3 or 4 years? That's just a guess but judging by the rare reports of it opening unwantedly I would imagine that's about right.

It's definitely the right thing to do to discuss the possible flaws in these new systems, I think (from my own experience with the bar) that this isn't a huge issue....

maybe others have other experiences?...

ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:38 pm 
Medium Poster

No Worries with any of ours. I've let the Bar Go Fully Powered up and It tends to shoot up the Depower cord somewhat, but Doesn't Hit The Punch Out System with any Great Force if at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:06 am 
What is the diameter of the OR bar? I will buy the system for my wife, but she needs a small diameter bar for her teeny hands. She likes her 2002 wipika throttle bar for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:59 pm 
Rare Poster

The diameter of the bar is pretty average, not too small...

Afraid I have no measurements for it though.

Kitedemon - do you know?

ian

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next