Protect your eyes from the elements-SEASPECS

Forum for kitesurfers
Vangelis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vangelis » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:33 pm

toylesss wrote:Your glasses are not advertised as polarized.Are these indeed the same glasses?
I just received my Seaspecs from xtremebigair.com.
Although the shape looks the same, they are not polarized, and they don't have the Seaspecs logo anywhere. Not even in the packaging.

I took them out for a spin and they sucked. Fogged immediately.

I am a bit confused as I am not sure if these are the same glasses as initially advertized. They might be some older model, not sure.
For sure I am sending them back, and return to my AquaShades Lava!

:(

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pismo Beach, California
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach, California
Style: All
Gear: All

Sportshield and all sunglasses will fog up

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:37 pm

Vangelis,
I had Oakley WaterJacket, Lava Aqua Sports, BARZ, Cebe, etc.... all kind of sunglasses/goggles. I used them all.

YES. All of them will FOG UP.

You will need to put RAINX on all of these sunglasses before you go out kiteboarding.

I like the Sportshield the best because it has the same features as Oakley WaterJacket but it is only $24.95.

Try your Sportshield with little rainx on it before you go out on your next kiteboarding and you will love it. Lava Aqua Sport is very comfortable but it is also three times the cost of the SportShield.

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:38 pm

Question: Anyone tried these while wearing a Gath helmet? I'v e found
some goggles (like waterjackets) are too bulky to comfortably fit inside my helmet...

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:41 pm

I tried them with a protec helmet and they fit fine.
My wife tried the AquaShade - Lava with her Gath and they were not comfortable at all.

parkplace
Rare Poster

Postby parkplace » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:08 am

Hi Vangelis

Toylesss, was on the money when he asked Xtremebigair "your glasses are not advertised as polarized. Are these indeed the same glasses(as the Seaspecs)"?

Toyless never got an answer fromXtremebigair. In fact, neither did you regarding your confusion.

Toyless is correct. Bigair does not advertise his glasses as being Polarized (or Non-polarized for that matter), but you confirmed that Bigair's glasses are Not Polarized.

Seaspecs advertise their Sunglasses as having Polycarbonate Polarized lenses and Laurel's initial posting confirms that Seaspecs are "Polarized (unlike similar brands)"and that Laurel and "all her staff" use Seaspecs and that "they work well".

In a latter posting Laurel writes that she "loves the darker lens" and that Seaspecs are "awesome".

Although, bigair never gave Toylesss or you an answer to your confusion, it is obvious that a sportshield is not the same as Seaspecs.

ParkPlace

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:33 am

Apparently the sunglasses that I bought from xtremebigair.com are not the SeaSpecs.
The brand is AquaSphere and the model is called Sport Shield.
They are perfect knock-offs of the Seaspecs on the photo but not polarized. If I read closer on the website I should have noticed that these are not original.

RickI also bought his from Kinsley, I'd be interested in finding out how he likes his.

I like the lenses on mine even though they are not polarized. Polarized could scratch even easier. The fact that they don't come with a protective case doesn't help either.

The source of the confusion is really on Kinsley's email advetizing his sunglasses as the same product as Laurel's - That was definately misleading and intensional.

I'll try an entifog liquid for sunglasses next time I use them. I don't trust RainX or other automotive related chemicals for my eyes.

:roll:

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:55 am

XtremeBigAir.com wrote: Not to offend anyone, but we have been selling this exactly the same sunglasses for more than a year now at our online store for only $25.
Grab them at: http://XtremeBigAir.com
Here is the source of all the confusion.
No Kinsley you haven't been selling "this exact same sunglasses". You advertized to all of us in this forum a cheap knock-off of the SeaSpecs sunglasses as being the real thing.
This is inappropriate, misleading and intensional. Shame! :x

And yes, you better hear it from your old friends (and one of your first students 3+ yrs ago) than someone who doesn't know you personally.

:nono:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:51 am

Its unfair to knock the Water Jackets on anything except price. They are damn good glasses but way over priced. Thats what you get for buying brands.

I can't understand why the racing jackets (with simiar frames) are almost half the price, and all you get extra with the water jackets is a head strap, lenses with holes in them and anti-mist fluid. Seems a bit of a rip off, but they do work well.

The only other thing I hate about the water jackets is the size of the glasses. I had to buy half jackets for wearing normally, because the water jackets make me look like a mosquito. I wouldn't wear them for anything other than kiting but I guess thats what they are meant for.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:35 am

It would appear that we all need to take eye protection more seriously on and off the water from current indications. More about this appears in the thread at:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12465

This deals with what has been to date a fairly rare eye disorder. Hopefully it will stay rare but current indications suggest grounds for more common problems from increased UV exposure. Something to think about while we are gearing up.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:45 am

Did anyone try Solis eyewear?

http://store.yahoo.com/solissf/goggles.html

A friend recommended them for paragliding but I don't know if any of their models are suitable for water use.
If so it looks like they may have some bargains.

Steve T.

Return to “Kitesurfing”