Flysurfer_in _DC
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Canaries - Fuerteventura

Postby Flysurfer_in _DC » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:18 pm

Guys-

I am thinking of going to the Canaries at the end of September. Has anybody been to Fuerteventura for kiting? what would be the best spot Sotavento , Corralejo? It seems that the wind at Sotavento is mostly side-offshore? Is that correct? How safe is it to kitesurf overthere?
Has anybody been to the Rene Egli Pro Center or the flag beah winsurf center? any comments?

It seems that in September, there is more wind in Sotavento.

Thanks

KRIS
Medium Poster

Fuerte

Postby KRIS » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:17 pm

Hi, I would choose Corralejo, best spot,better conditions and ... night life too. But if coming from that far, why not choose Fortaleza (Brasil)? Unmachtable! Wind cond, spots, people and... simply everything.
I am planning a trip myself for three months starting at the end of Sept.
Now in impossible Gran Canaria where 40 kts are blowing and kite for this whole month ( and probably next) is just a memory.
Contact me if you change your mind. kriskitenheart@yahoo.com.Cheers. CRIS :bye:

Todd
Rare Poster

Fuerteventura

Postby Todd » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:52 pm

Hi Washington-kiter

its nice to see that american guys visit Fuerte. Its a long trip.

Take a rental car and join both spots. Sotavento has no swimmers and sunbathers because of the strong winds. a very nice beach and no people.
Flagbeach is crowded but the water and wind is great.(most of the time)

Take your complete kite-quiver with you. you can use the big ones at flagbeach, the small at sotavento.
In the north-west of the island is another good spot called El Cotillo.There is choppy water and a bit stronger wind than at flagbeach.

Unfortunately we can't meet cause i'll be there at the middle/end of august.

Have loads of fun at Fuerteventura you'll not be disappointed

Best wishes from germany

Thorsten

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:20 pm

Hi Flysurfer in DC,

I was kiting in Fuerte a couple of years ago in July and had the time of my life. The area of Corralejo is a super fun place to hang out at night. Flag Beach is fantastic; tons of room for launching, beautiful clean water, great wind and some waves. El Cotillo works lots of the time including some of the times Flag Beach shuts down...easy launch and good riding. Sotavento is spectcular and worth a few days or at least a day trip or two, but you are right about strong very gusty offshore winds there. I never ran into any Americans out there. Nice people everywhere.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and would stay somewhere up north, but without a doubt would take at least a day or two down on the Jandia peninsula.

I did my car rental through http://www.flagbeach.com. I stayed at an inexpensive apartment in Lajares (between Corralejo and El Cotillo) that I found through bulletin board sign at The Green Room (Pub and Surfshop) in Corralejo.

Have fun,

John

Nayone
Frequent Poster

Postby Nayone » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:19 am

just got back ... flagbeach for a week was ok but busy. If you are looking to go with the pros try out kurnk.com they have got courses with danny seals and some of his team riders

have fun it blows there!!

Alex

email me if you want more info

Flysurfer_in _DC
Rare Poster

Thanks

Postby Flysurfer_in _DC » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I was also looking at the website http://www.rene-egli.com/. They are referring to a lagoon. Can you actually ride on the lagoon or is it too small and overcrowded?
I am a bit worried about the offshore direction of the wind in Sotavento. So from that stand point Corralejo seems to be a better option as well.
In Corralejo, is the wind mostly side-onshore?

Is it possible to only rent the board and bring the kites?
But if coming from that far, why not choose Fortaleza (Brasil)?
I am going to France, and I plan to add a short Kitesurf trip at the end. So I am trying to find a good spot not too far from France with good winds.

Thanks

-marc

andreadp
Medium Poster

Postby andreadp » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:23 pm

i was in fierteventura last year and i know all the spots that u have mentioned.
in sotavento the wind is always strong , gusty and OFFSHORE. u can play in the lagoon only when the sea level is high.
flagbeach is definetely much better with side shore winds (almost always from the left). when the wind in flagbeacxh is not so much u can go to corralejo, very suggestive and wild spot but keep attention on the shore break that make the first go out not so easy because the first wave is quite big and also there is no possibility to be rescued by boat.
ciao
andrea

Todd
Rare Poster

Postby Todd » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:49 pm

Hey Marc,

it depends on where you'll stay in France.
On the one side belgium or the netherlands (graet spots)
On the other side spain or directly france.

It would be not so far than canary islands.

For rental stuff at Flagbeach or Rene Egli you have to own a licence from a kitesurfing school.

Yes, corralejo is a sideshore spot(from left). El Cotillo(from right) too.

The lagoon is best at full moon or (i don't know in english) the opposite.

Thorsten[/quote]

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:20 pm

Flysurfer_in_DC, I made a video last year about kiteboarding at Flagbeach. Go to http://www.kite-surf.com - Videos (not the video server) and search for "Flagbeach Impressions 2002 - A Summer Day At Flagbeach".

More chill than thrill video, but I do like it :)

Take care,
Robin
http://www.kite-surf.com

AJ
Rare Poster

Postby AJ » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Robin , I'm very interested video from Fuerteventura, but I can't find this one??
AJ 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”