Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does 14m2 Caution Spitfire jump high and long?

Forum for kitesurfers
carbonnee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does 14m2 Caution Spitfire jump high and long?

Postby carbonnee » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 pm

Hey there, struggling to make a decision whether or not to buy the 04 Spitfire14m as at least in one magazine the kite didn't get that good review on jumping, they said it's average on jumping qualities. Is this true, any experiences/comments?

thank you

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:33 pm

The 14.0 Spitfire is an exceptional kite IMO. It has the upper wind range of most 12.0's, but you gain the bottom end of the 14.0. It jumps as good or better than most of the other kite brands I have tried, and the 14.0 has the best hang time of the Spitfire sizes. The construction is great. I have seen them take a pounding over and over in the surf, and come out without any damage. It fly’s well whether powered up or depowered. Just a great kite overall IMO. I'm sure there are other kites that may have the ability to boost higher, but do they do everything else well. In addition to the Spitfire jumping well, turning fast, good bar input (not heavy), great construction, and performance whether powered or depowered.... it even relaunches easily. There are not too many kites that can do all that this well. I know this post sounds like an advertisement, but I don't work for Caution. I am very picky about the kites I fly, and when I find something that works well I enjoy sharing it. It all depends on what you want. I would prefer to have a kite that can do everything well, rather than just a specialty jumping kite that suffers in other areas.

Big Tommy1
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Big Tommy1 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:50 pm

The Caution 14m jumps very well! You will not talk to a single person that has one that will say differently. I watch the team guy arond here sky on Spitfires.

Tommy

Ray-au
Medium Poster

Postby Ray-au » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:16 am

I got the 10m and 14m spitfire. 14m is good average kite for long floaty jumps, not superfast to turn, (big circle when looping).
Bad points are: really bad for waveriding, you cant park the kite in front of you, it just wants to fly backwards, you may also notice this effect when doing transitions and you want to regain power the kite ends up a bit down wind and wants to drop.
Rescue handles are useless, they are in the wrong position.
Still better kite than al lot of others I have tried

2Hi4U

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:15 am

Interesting comments from Ray-au. Never heard of anyone who flew a Spitfire make that kind of assessment. It certainly is not my experience with them. I have the 8.0 - 14.0 Spitfires, and can't say I have ever had any of them fly backwards or "drop". I was going to suggest that perhaps you are flying your kites with too much rear line tension, but I tend to setup my kites so that I can stall them if I pull the bar all the way in, and even when I have the Spitfires extremely flared out like that they still won't fly backwards. I think they are great in the waves with very predictable power, and you always know where the kite is. I tend to fly my kite low when doing a bottom turn and whip it back toward the wave. Never had one fly backwards in the waves using that method. I have flown other brands that do fly backwards so I do know what you mean by that, but I can't say my Spitfires have ever done that. I can't comment on the rescue handles, as I have never had to use them. As far as the turning speed is concerned; I would say that the 14.0 turns almost as fast as the 12.0, which is pretty quick. The 10.0 is much quicker to turn as would be expected. I am told the 16.0 is slower to turn, but I haven't flown a 16.0 so I have no reference for that kite. Not saying Ray-au is wrong here, but it is interesting how people can have a different take on the same kite. Maybe it's a matter of riding style.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:25 am

@carbonnee:
with today's kite's it depends mostly on rider skill's. buy a kite (if you can 2or 3), read the topics about jumping and hit the water, practise!!
good luck!

S.A.
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com

Postby S.A. » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:17 pm

The 14m Spitfire RIPS! The best jumping kite in the spitfire 04 range for sure.
The wave riding issue you're experiencing must be setup related. I have been flying another brand for the last couple of sessions and by comparison it's a piece of #$%^ in this department and I'll be going back to Spitfires soonest possible.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:21 pm

REVIEWS<<<

MOVE IT

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:53 pm

Fo the moderator!.. whats the world coming to? Be usin' a real name, wearin a suit and talkin sense soon geeza.

Screw the mag reviews... do Caution take out double page ads to pay the piper?

Spitfire's been a blinder, nobody who's flown 'em and knows what time it is will say any different. They're just good at everything.

Best thing about the range is that every single size is a cracker which is unusual. Having said that, if I had to leave one size out of a full set it would be the 14... and having said that... if I had to pick only one it would be the 14... well actually the 12, but sensibly the 14.

Jumping and hang time is certainly not its weak point.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Dr.Gonzo wrote:Fo the moderator!.. whats the world coming to? Be usin' a real name, wearin a suit and talkin sense soon geeza.

Screw the mag reviews... do Caution take out double page ads to pay the piper?

Spitfire's been a blinder, nobody who's flown 'em and knows what time it is will say any different. They're just good at everything.

Best thing about the range is that every single size is a cracker which is unusual. Having said that, if I had to leave one size out of a full set it would be the 14... and having said that... if I had to pick only one it would be the 14... well actually the 12, but sensibly the 14.

Jumping and hang time is certainly not its weak point.
I like the caution kites,,

This review thing is just a lump of coal that some may have to swallow,,

excuse me,,,carry-on

Return to “Kitesurfing”