Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Laser eye correction

Forum for kitesurfers
skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:54 pm

I've thought about getting this done before but I always wondered if having good eyesight would screw up my hand-eye co-ordination... I once tried wearing glasses full time at school but could never get used to everything seeming closer.

I tried contacts too, but it made me feel unco-ordinated a lot.

I guess you do get used to it, but I kind of like my world blurry!

Downside would have to be that your jumps are gonna feel lower because the water is gonna look closer.

Get em lasered the other way man! Everything will look like a 60ft boost!

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiteboarddog » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:58 pm

:o

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:56 pm

Although it works fine for the most people doesnt mean there are no problems. Until now there is now long therm study out which shows that your eye stays stable for the next 40 years.

I work in that business (laser & eye) and know all the real guys who develloped the different techniques ( since 10 years) and guess what , .. they all wear glasses. Guess why?

Its your own decission, but I also still wear my glasses, although they are really shitty for surfing..

CU, K

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:19 pm

weird that this is being discused as I ponder on the operation myself. My eyes are going on strike on my contact lenses so I have no other choice really... years of salt water wind abuse... But at 34 is it worth it? Someone said that by 40 you're back with glasses??? bitchin!
Not built to last...

Ken
Rare Poster

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:17 pm

Had laser treatment about ten years ago. I could not see at all without glasses or contact lenses. I have had no problems and can see fine although a Fred mentioned my left eye has also regresses a bit. No problem with salt water but I do wear sun glasses in very bright sun light when kitesurfing.

PMad
Medium Poster

Postby PMad » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:46 am

Did it 18 months ago, used Custom Lasik ... best investment ever! Resulted in 10/20 and 15/20 (that is 25% and 50% above "perfect"), no halo, and just slightly dry eyes for a couple weeks : amazing.

Was 35 then, didn't care of the "will be back to glasses at 40" : presbyopia is not going to prevent me from skiing, kiting, playing on the beach, etc. For reading and working, I can deal with a pair of glasses if or when it comes necessary.

Advice: don't shop around for the best bargain. Do your home work instead, go to a couple free seminars and get acquainted with the surgeon/clinic you are going to trust !

Steve Martin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach and Blue Lagoon Marina on Lake St. Clair around Detroit, Michigan
Gear: Cabrinha: Contra 14m and Omega 9m
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Steve Martin » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:00 am

I had custom LASIK about 2 1/2 years ago in Canada before it was approved in the US. I had dry eyes before surgery and very dry after the surgery. It took over a year, but the dryness is back to pre surgery levels and I'm glad with the outcome. I would have even been happy with the outcome even if I had very dry eyes, but it's definitely nicer not having to use drops everyday. I don't use drops anymore at all. I use sunglasses to protect my eyes against the sun, but especially against the wind; otherwise, without sunglasses, I'd have to use drops after a kiteboarding session.

Like others have said, do your homework, visit several centers, and then make your decision. PM me if you'd like some internet sites to start your research.

Elia
Frequent Poster

Postby Elia » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:20 am

Had mine done 5 years ago and have had no problems except that I think my eyes are a bit more sensitive to the sun so I tend to ware sunglasses all the time (and I bought the best I could find). I would say as far as being safe is concerned it would go like this wearing glasses is the safest, then laser surgery and then contacts as you tend to stick your finger in your eye every day, that can't be good. My wife had hers done almost ten years ago when it was still not approved and she has not had any problems other then dry eyes which she had to use drops for (same drops as when you have dry eve with contacts).

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

_____

Postby ian c » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:27 am

Thanks for all the replies - that is so great. I am -1.75 which is not too bad but it sounds like it is a good idea to go for lasik - although with the dilema of staying out of the water for a few weeks it is going to be a very tough call.

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:28 am

For me the question would be how many Lasik success stories are there for people over forty that are far sited? Has anyone gotten 20/20 vision with Lasik from being far sited? Thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”