Forum for kitesurfers
runsujal
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anyone here uses "balance board" for extra practic

Postby runsujal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:11 pm

i am totally new and having trouble getting on the board. my good friend here, told me that i should start on skateboard to get the "board experience".

while thinking, i saw this. it is called balance board. anyone used it? this is just one brand but it is the concept that helps...

bongo balance board

windjunkie
Medium Poster

Postby windjunkie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:32 pm

Certainly improving your balance with one of these wouldn't hurt. But, if you're not water starting yet I'm not sure balance comes into play yet.

Maybe you can try to get up on the bongo board while you have a friend yank you forward :D

troy
Medium Poster

Postby troy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 pm

I use a balance board which is a great trainer...there are alot of specific exersises that you can do to improve your balance as well as leg strength.

Wake boarding behind a boat is probably the best thing you could do that is most similar to the feeling you get behind a kite when it is low.

I Surf alot and that helps too.

Skateboarding will help a bit, but watch out for the cement. snowboarding is great too.

Just about anything on a board will help :D

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:04 am

my personal recipe for an off water tuneup session is to put some Curley Williams and his Georgia Peach Pickers on the victrola, get out my recycled gesticulating pump-o-matic vibrating magic weenie cooker and grind some pencils, do some quick pushups to get the blood to the brain, and proceed on down to the cellar to see how my fungis collection is doing.

post note: Three weeks of constant rain is taking it's toll on my constitution and no bongo balance board is going to make my puppy sing.

bigguy2
Rare Poster

Postby bigguy2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 am

The closest you will get to the waterstart is to get up on your kiteboard behind a boat or jetski (you don't need the wake from a boat). this should give you a sense of how the board feels taking off and planing. then with the kite sit down with a reasonable size (not too big) and practice working the kite enough to get to your feet. then try again.
some great practice for board skills are skateboarding, carveboarding, snowboarding (you get it... anything with a board). these things help with the board skills once up and going, but from your post I take it your problem is more with the waterstart itself and continuing the ride. the problem I see with many people who get up and sink, up and sink is to dive the kite too much at the edge of the window so the dive of the kite gets you up but then the kite is so far at the edge that it doesn't have the power to keep you going. describe your specific problem and you'll have lot's of good advice that will probably help you more than a bongo board which I have by the way.

bigguy2
Rare Poster

Postby bigguy2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:16 am

OK I just read Chemosavi's post and his advice is mo betta. chemo, I'll be right over!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:40 pm

chemosavi wrote:my personal recipe for an off water tuneup session is to put some Curley Williams and his Georgia Peach Pickers on the victrola, get out my recycled gesticulating pump-o-matic vibrating magic weenie cooker and grind some pencils, do some quick pushups to get the blood to the brain, and proceed on down to the cellar to see how my fungis collection is doing.

post note: Three weeks of constant rain is taking it's toll on my constitution and no bongo balance board is going to make my puppy sing.
:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”