Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

discouraged beginner kiter, mad at shop, please help

Forum for kitesurfers
WildThang
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildThang » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:13 am

uschxc wrote:at first i was hesitant to disclose details, but oh well here's waht i have

north vegas06 12m
north dragon
north air harness

for the wind contions in my area i'm most comfortable wiht my kite in aboug 10 knot winds

my biggest feat is the self launch. i'm most ly scared that i'll try to put sand on the tip to keep the kite in place walk back to my kite and i'll screw something up. the idea of a constant such as wing controlling my ride just freaks me out...

...gave me enough information and experience to be dangerous
You know why it's your biggest fear? It's probably because you shouldn't be doing it at this stage!

I think you should put the self launch notion or self kite notion out of your mind completely for now.

The 06 Vegas is a nice kit. There are probably more of these on my beach than bow type kites.

I know they have kook-proof connectors, but if you insist on self launching, how do you know your back lines aren't crossed with your fly lines?

How do you know you have the right launch angle?
You ready for a luff right after you tighten those lines? How about going too hot? Got too much sand on that wingtip? Too little?

My point is I don't believe you're ready to do this. Even experienced kiters can botch it.

As for the size of your kite, if you're around 175lbs, that kite's sweet spot is from 15-25. I think when you're learning, flying it from 15-20 would be your most productive wind range.

Fred's idea on the Arc is a good one. The kite is super stable so you'll not have to tend to the kite drifting left or right as you get pulled crooked trying to put your board on. But this isn't about C-kites vs. Bow kites vs. Arcs vs. Bridled foils. You're spent enough money already and it's time to make the right friends to get your stuff working.

Kitesurfing, like it or not is a team sport when you're learning. Why are you trying to go it alone?

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vietkiter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:22 am

WildThang wrote: north vegas06 12m
north dragon
north air harness

The 06 Vegas is a nice kit.
Can someone compute for me how this 'nice kit' with a few lessons get you $3000 bill... that's US$ or Oz$ ?

randal
Medium Poster

Postby randal » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:23 am

Can you let us know where you live, maybe then someone'll offer to hook up with you and help you out!

BJZ
Rare Poster

Postby BJZ » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:26 am

When I started 8 seasons ago I got spanked for a whole simmer on dangerous hard to control equipment that hardly worked with no lessons. So on the scared and its real hard to learn comments you get no sympathy from me. Suck it up dude!

Get some of the instruction DVD s, different instuctor or whatever. It is not that hard you can get it.

I can assure you it is very much worth it.

As recommened you might need a light wind kite to get you going. 12 C will not cut it in less than 18 for most riders.

Last Bit Of Advice: MAKE SURE THE MICRO LOCK ON THE YOUR NORTH KITE CAN NOT ENGAGE AND LOCK THE BAR AT FULL POWER. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND YOU COULD GET DRAGGED>

bondo
Frequent Poster

Postby bondo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:19 am

VK - that sounds like Oz dollars to me...

you're not in Melbourne by any chance?

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:31 am

Some good advice from people here. I'd suggest finding a reputable company and book yourself a course with them. If you can make it a holiday at some nice safe, warm destination with reliable winds then all the better.

Buddying up with another kiter is good too. If you're both newbies then one can kite while the other looks out for you.

It does take time to get up and riding. You absolutely right not to just go out and do it until you're comfortable with the safety side of it all. Floundering around not getting on the board is fine; not knowing how to do a deep water packdown isn't. Even then I would really urge you not to kite alone until you're really confident.

Some lessons before buying the kit is always wise, but it's a bit late to suggest that to you now. Hope it all works out for you.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 am

Sounds pretty much like my first experience when it comes to trying on my own. The lessons were pretty good (I had used an trainer before already) but when I tried on my own I was scared as hell when I felt the power of the 14m2 C kite I bought and couldnt believe how to self-launch/self-land myself. Atleast I'm in a club and there is always people that can help. Anyway, the C kite was scary as hell to begin with and after a few months I bought a bow kite, the difference was enormous and I learned quite fast on it.

I am still really scared when using the 14m2, just because of the limited depower possibility. I just cannot accept the risk attached.

waveslave
Medium Poster

Postby waveslave » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:05 pm

uschxc,
I'd feel much more relieved if you just eBayed all your gear,
and got this crazy kitesurfing idea out of your system.

Jaco
Frequent Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish

Postby Jaco » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:39 pm

this sounds like a big loser. sounds like he just blaming the kiteshop cause he can't kiteboard. it's not for everybody! if you're doing excellent with your wakeboarding...why dont you just keep that up and forget about kiting for a little bit while you adjust to your new city. no offense cause all of us were new at one point or another, that trying to teach yourself stuff is what A-destroys your gear, B-hurts other people, C-you hurt yourself. Check out a camp like the guys at REAL and spend a few consecutive days gradually picking it up. If it still doesnt work, i'm sure real can tell you what's up...

cheers

uschxc
Medium Poster

Postby uschxc » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:52 pm

i really appreciate all the support and help you guys have given me. a friend of mine just moved to NC so i might stop by RealKiteboarding in hattaras.

waveslave...thanks for being an nice person. you're proof that even a kiter on the beach can be a prick and worthless. let me guess you're provoking me to ebay my gear so you can pick it up cheap huh?

jaco...wtf do you think i'm so timid to go out? i dont wan tto hurt myself my gear or other people. i'd go get a couple more lessons but they want to charge 300 for 2 hours on top of what they have apparently already ripped me off for

oh yea and i'm not a loser and i'm not blaming it on the shop. you can go fuck yourself for calling me a loser. i'm just angry at the shop for ripping me off and cutting me loose as soon as i need support after the sale
Last edited by uschxc on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”