Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

06 vs. 07 SS Fuel???

Forum for kitesurfers
Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Beachbum1236 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:46 am

Beachbum, when are you next coming over to the mainland? I have the 15 here and will have 9, 11, and13 in stock very shortly. I know the way you ride and what you are looking for. I think you will be very happy with the Fuel, but come and try it.
Hopefully i'll be comming up this weekend sometime, might come by and do that, I heard it was going to be windy this weekend.

thanks

chris

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jimmyc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:07 pm

How does everyone with 07 Fuels like the new bar (the Link bar)? Specifically, how do you like having the main depower and 5th line cleats below the bar? Anyone using a different setup or an older SS bar?

The depower ability of simply sliding the stopper seems it would be a nice feature.

Thanks. :bye:

SS Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby SS Kiter » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm

jimmyc wrote:How does everyone with 07 Fuels like the new bar (the Link bar)? Specifically, how do you like having the main depower and 5th line cleats below the bar? Anyone using a different setup or an older SS bar?

The depower ability of simply sliding the stopper seems it would be a nice feature.

Thanks. :bye:

Good question Jimmy, I´d like to know that too.

Has anyone faced some problem to pull de-power line in this new SS bar? Flying with my Link, some times I feel it s not so easy to pull depower strap, may be I´m not used to it yet, anyone else with same problem?

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:40 pm

The pulling on the depower is difficult when riding against the stopper, push the stopper away the pull on the cleat moves no problem. However, with the amount of adjustable depower available with the sliding stopper, I have yet to pull on the depower line and I have had my 13m out in 25 knots (92kgs). Push the stopper out all the way and the back lines become so slack that it can become difficult to stear!

Cheers :thumb:

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 pm

mmmmmm depower.. :)

Dookz
Medium Poster

Postby Dookz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:33 am

Yeah there is a LOT of depower available to you without needing to pull the trim strap. I normally keep the trim strap pulled in about an inch or two just to make sure I'm not oversheeting the kite when unhooked. Then I simply adjust the stopper ball on the fly if i need more depower at any moment - regardless of the conditions.

You only really use the trim strap when unhooking. It can also be a bit of a pain in the ass to unwedge from the cleat, you have to yank it up really hard, but pulling it isn't a problem.

Only other issue with the new bar is that when doing backloops the cleat can sometimes twist underneath so you have to reach around and behind the chicken loop to pull the depower strap. It normally corrects itself after a few turns because it swivels but then you have a few twists in the 5th line instead.

Other potential problem: pulling in on the depower strap and unhooking can result in it whipping you in the head when throwing tricks seeing as it's so close to the chicken loop. Haven't had it happen to me yet but I'm sure there's a first for everything.

All said though, it's an awesome bar and the adjustable stopper is a cool feature.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 am

SS Kiter wrote: Has anyone faced some problem to pull de-power line in this new SS bar? Flying with my Link, some times I feel it s not so easy to pull depower strap, may be I´m not used to it yet, anyone else with same problem?
yeah, i noticed this when i demo'd the links. loved the way they flew, but could never get used to that trim below the bar. on the '06 fuels and earlier, when the wind kicks up fast and you want to spill the power, it was always easy to grab the stopper ball above you and pull straight down. it never failed. any time i wanted to adjust the trim on the link i pretty much needed two hands. i don't think this is normal and i'm sure people that ride it have it dialed in...but there is certainly different leverage required to pull down on something above you vs. pulling a line out that is at your waist. the trade-off, of course, is they can now use that sliding stopper ball which is sweet. i don't really know all the reasons for it, just a rant and a question i guess. i'll still get an '07 fuel :) and figure it out, but i'll keep my eyes open for the "hack" someone designs to move a trim cleat above the bar.

snygging
Rare Poster

Postby snygging » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:42 pm

toddjb123 wrote:
SS Kiter wrote: Has anyone faced some problem to pull de-power line in this new SS bar? Flying with my Link, some times I feel it s not so easy to pull depower strap, may be I´m not used to it yet, anyone else with same problem?
yeah, i noticed this when i demo'd the links. loved the way they flew, but could never get used to that trim below the bar. on the '06 fuels and earlier, when the wind kicks up fast and you want to spill the power, it was always easy to grab the stopper ball above you and pull straight down. it never failed. any time i wanted to adjust the trim on the link i pretty much needed two hands. i don't think this is normal and i'm sure people that ride it have it dialed in...but there is certainly different leverage required to pull down on something above you vs. pulling a line out that is at your waist. the trade-off, of course, is they can now use that sliding stopper ball which is sweet. i don't really know all the reasons for it, just a rant and a question i guess. i'll still get an '07 fuel :) and figure it out, but i'll keep my eyes open for the "hack" someone designs to move a trim cleat above the bar.
One BIG problem I have with the 06 fuel bar is that when you unhook and drop the bar the bar hits the black stopper ball pretty hard and the metal hole in the bar gets ragged and destroys the fifth line and depower line, really bad to have such a weak metal in the bar. Do anyone have had the same problem and solution!? But except that the bar and kites is wonderfull durable and predictable and the chickenloop is great for unhooked.

Ian-H
Medium Poster

Postby Ian-H » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 am

How do the new Fuels ride in 4-line mode? Has anyone been flying them 4-line. I'm a bit sick of 5-lines, to be honest. If you're riding unhooked a lot, particularly in waves, then the 5th line massively increases the risk of tearing (wave grenade or no wave grenade) and it's just more to get tangled, go wrong, get in the way, be heavier etc etc. Most of the time I find the 5th line is slack anyway, since it's not an integral design like Naish or North.

Dookz
Medium Poster

Postby Dookz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:37 am

I ride 5th line but it only engages when I drop the bar.
Otherwise it has considerable slack in it whilst riding and I never use it to trim.
Basically i'm riding 4 lines with the 5th line safety.

Rides great 4 lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”