Hausey
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Deaths in kiteboarding

Postby Hausey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:29 pm

How many now? Does anyone keep a tab?

Every time I look at Kiteforum there has been another one, here, there and everywhere.

How many more are going to happen down the track?

It is always going to be a dangerous sport - though maybe a percentage of the price of a kite should be put back towards creating some kind of safety commitee to work with designers of kites to help minimise danger.

It is like the companies aren't really interested in safety, and more interested in short term profits and marketing crap - so they should be forced to throw a few dollars of each kite produced, looking towards saving the lives of future users.

I am now a fairly experienced intermediate and have a 3rd generation 2008 bow kite which I am stoked with in all ways, except that I still can't self land it when the wind is up.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Rick has the best stats, he also has a site http://www.fksa.org

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 pm

this is the worst time of the year...specially November. Most accidents happen now, unfortunately.

There are some things who need to be changed to make the sport safer.
Not much, but those little things will be very effective:

1. learn to release your quick release without thinking, just in a reflex read more here
2. constantly demand a working standard quick release from the industry
3. keep in mind: distance is your friend!

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Since January 2002, when Silke Gorldt died, I think that the best world-wide figure we have (from reported deaths in newspapers and police reports) is over 60 ( in the last 5 years). There may have been some deaths before Silke's.

I do not have the "official" record, but have read about every reported death since I started kiting in 2002. I imagine that there were more deaths, that were not brought to the attention of the world-wide kiting community.

I am not familiar with any lawsuits that were brought against any kiting manufacturers, or sellers of the equipment. I would guess that, in viewing the deaths, the kiting equipment involved, was viewed to fall within the kiting industry's accepted standard of materials and safety. It seems that "poor judgement" or "bad luck" or lack of skill were the overriding factors in almost all of the accidents.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

are these statistics relevant. yes and no. we don't stand out,, statistically speaking.

a quick google:

abstract:

"Statistics on skiing/snowboarding
Fatalities - According to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA): During the past 10 years, about 38 people have died skiing/snowboarding per year on average. During the 2004/2005 season, 45 fatalities occurred out of the 56.9 million skier/snowboarder days reported for the season. Thirty of the fatalities were skiers (39 male, 6 female) and 15 of the fatalities were snowboarders (14 male, 1 female). The rate of fatality was .80 per million skier/snowboarder visits."

link: http://tinyurl.com/yn52ne

abstract:

"According to records maintained by USPA between 1991 and 2000, there were an average of 33 skydiving fatalities in the United States each year. The vast majority of those accidents involved very experienced skydivers exceeding their own limits. Student fatalities are rare, usually averaging only a few per year, and in many years there are no fatalities involving first jump students at all. Those numbers are interesting, but in order to gauge the actual safety of skydiving it is important to know how many jumps are made each year, and how many jumps are in each category or experience level, and then make some assumptions about specific risk."

link: http://theblueskyranch.com/sta/tb7.htm

abstract:

"Only 3 people died in a paraglider accident in the U.S. during 2005.
This is down somewhat on the previous few years. Good to see. The same can't be said of Europe recently, with 50 fatalities in the Alps. Many people put this down to an unusually strong year in terms of thermal activity over Europe, plus of course the much greater numbers of people flying over there. "

link: http://tinyurl.com/26jsuo

abstract:

"Car crashes â€â€

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:30 pm

SWEET...!!

Good news for sure, I'm thinking just a few more drive bys and we'll be safer than walking..

right-on rock on with your sats on

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:32 pm

We are up to 74 perhaps 77 ** fatalities since 2000 that I am aware of.

We have perhaps lost 16 people during each of the last three years.

Comparative loss statistics of kiteboarding to other activities, correlations to age, season, activity within kiting are discussed in an article located HERE

** Three fatalities reported in 2006 could not be confirmed.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

suRff
Frequent Poster

Postby suRff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:58 pm

the point is.. for most of us,, this statistical fascination is exercise in futility. it seems to come around once every few months. i think we're on the same page.

afflatus wrote:SWEET...!!

Good news for sure, I'm thinking just a few more drive bys and we'll be safer than walking..

right-on rock on with your sats on

joshgubler
Rare Poster

Postby joshgubler » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:07 pm

It seems to me that having something like the Annual AMGA Accident Reports for rock climbing would be more useful. Try to actually figure out what specific factors contribute to an accident most of the time. Not just speculation on a forum, an actual statistical report.

suRff
Frequent Poster

Postby suRff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm

joshgubler wrote:It seems to me that having something like the Annual AMGA Accident Reports for rock climbing would be more useful. Try to actually figure out what specific factors contribute to an accident most of the time. Not just speculation on a forum, an actual statistical report.
well now,, here's where i jump to Rick's defense. however sad and scary the stories are to read, his fact gathering and sharing on the accident cause and effect have made me a safer kitesurfer. i can't ask for much more than that. thanks Rick.

Return to “Kitesurfing”