Forum for kitesurfers
Satan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

We are not vessels

Postby Satan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:38 am

When will people figure it out and realize we are not some generic vessels that fit into some yachting rules created in the year 1539.

We are kitesurfers. So all you sailers and ex-windsurfers out there forget out the rules you learned. They don't apply to kitesurfers interacting with kitesurfers.

Don't tell me that they are universal laws of the sea. When kitesurfers interact with real vessels, the kitesurfer will always give way.

So here are some basics
1. First and foremost avoid collisions and don't be an idiot.
2. Always be considerate and use common sense.
3. Kitesurfing is a very dynamic three dimensional sport, thus some antiquated yachting rules don't apply to kitesurfers interacting with kitesurfers.
4. Realize that all kitespots are different. The traffic flow will be different at different spots.
5. If a spot has a nice spot for throwing down (TD) tricks, go out of your way to make room for people to throw down tricks in the throw it down zone (TD zone).
6. The guy that wants to jump/TD has the right of way. Do all you can to make room for him to bust a move. Otherwise were just like the windsurfers, yachters, etc. going back and forth in a straight line.
7. Never jump, transition, TD, etc. if you will cause a collision. (See rule number one, i.e. don't be an idiot.) Look around before hand.
8. When approaching another kiter on the opposite tack avoid changing directions in front of him/her. This a a classic beginner move. When you do this the other kiter is now behind and in back of you. This pretty much forces the other kiter to change directions as well. A pain in the ass, especially if he/she is heading towards the TD zone.
9. Stay out of crowded wave spot unless you have a clue.
10. Beginners realize that you are a pain in the ass to other riders and be especially considerate.
11. Experts realize beginners have no control.
12. Don't ride in someone's blind spot unless you are ready to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: We are not vessels

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:50 am

I agree, we need our own rules, since our gear is different.

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:32 am

yeah true.....i like the bit about respecting the trick zone, is there anyone from hunstanton UK here?? guys check your shit when your crusing around watch it on high (ish) tide at old hunstanton when people are charging the rollers unhooked........some kook nearly took my kite out when i was being dragged my my leash and felt it nessecarry to moan about safety even though he carried on riding, look im not stopping for the 'motorway kiters' anymore so watch out hahahah.........

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Like the way you made a lot of sensible points Satan, then slipped No.6 in amongst them.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Now what?
We, who understand and agree respect the rules know what to do. It's the 1% who don't give f*** who get us in trouble. I am not talking about beginners.

We have so many unwritten rules and out of respect we try to obey them as much as possible.
Some dudes just don't care and how many times we try to let them know, they just don't give a crap.
What to do? I think we should go old school and just cut their lines, deflate their kites etc,... worked back in the day... why not now

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:37 pm

whatever, law is following the sailing rules, that s all.

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:40 pm

1. First and foremost avoid collisions and don't be an idiot.
2. Always be considerate and use common sense.
3. Kitesurfing is a very dynamic three dimensional sport, thus some antiquated yachting rules don't apply to kitesurfers interacting with kitesurfers.
maybe not all yatching rules but the basics DO apply...
The purpose of the Yachting Rules are the same as Rule 1... TO AVOID COLLISIONS
5. If a spot has a nice spot for throwing down (TD) tricks, go out of your way to make room for people to throw down tricks in the throw it down zone (TD zone).
Still does not mean you can do tricks on the waters edge exactly were learners will be flying. Get out into deeper water for doing tricks. May be impressive for a few people until you land badly in 6" of water then have to crawl back up the beach cause you twisted an ankle, winded yourself - or worse get dragged downwind into some beginner because you were to stupid to think where or what may happen if you it goes wrong. Pretty much lost count number of time I have seen this at my regular beaches..
6. The guy that wants to jump/TD has the right of way. Do all you can to make room for him to bust a move. Otherwise were just like the windsurfers, yachters, etc. going back and forth in a straight line.
Disagree... Guy who wants to jump NEVER has right of way... it is their responsibility to make sure there is enough space - not for everyone else to move out the way.... (see Rule 1 & 2)
7. Never jump, transition, TD, etc. if you will cause a collision. (See rule number one, i.e. don't be an idiot.) Look around before hand.
So why propose Rule 6... :-? (see Rule 1 & 2)
8. When approaching another kiter on the opposite tack avoid changing directions in front of him/her. This a a classic beginner move. When you do this the other kiter is now behind and in back of you. This pretty much forces the other kiter to change directions as well. A pain in the ass, especially if he/she is heading towards the TD zone.
See reply to Rule 9...
9. Stay out of crowded wave spot unless you have a clue.
Agree, but then the Oceans cover 73% of the Earth surface so there is plenty of space for everyone :wink:
at your local spot why does everyone want to fly in the same 100m of beach... :evil:
See Rule 2.
10. Beginners realize that you are a pain in the ass to other riders and be especially considerate.
11. Experts realize beginners have no control.
Everyone was a beginner once... :wink:
If your are an expert then you should have the skills and knowledge to stay away from beginners.
Stay away from the shore line and not do tricks in shallow water where learners are practicing water starts etc... (See Rules 1 & 2)

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:55 pm

PKPC08 wrote:yeah true.....i like the bit about respecting the trick zone, is there anyone from hunstanton UK here???
I have been flying there for the past +3 years and there is no Trick Zone - if you want to do tricks stay away from the shore line and all the learners. Get out in the Lagoon were there is plenty of space... :thumb:

Baboon

Postby Baboon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 pm

oooh, I'm in league with Satan! (cue dodgy band Venom)

Yup I think you have summed it up pretty well.

And new starts please stop dragging your way through the area I decide to set up in and then walk upwind through that area and repeat over and over when I am the only person on an 18 mile long beach and have picked the worst spot for new starts, you know , the spot with the submerged objects, rocks and groynes and traffic nearby. I am there to avoid you. I know you want to be near another kiter but its not clever! It is amusing seeing you dragged into the groynes and losing your gear on the rocks, and no I won't rescue your gear for you if you shouldn't be there in the first place!

LOL.

greg meintjes
Rare Poster

Postby greg meintjes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:10 pm

I agree with Satans rules ,even the one about jumpers having the right of way - IN THE TRICK ZONE -if there is an area where you ride that is perfect for throwing down- do your trick, then get out the way so the next guy can do his, this is just common courtesy,However if some one is in your way DON,T JUMP just go around again.I also agree about the rider that turns around in front of you and starts riding back in the same direction as you,(in effect blocking you) this is selfish and inconsiderate , we do have this problem in Key West on a regular basis, mostly because visitors and some locals like the smooth water near the shore as well as the usual showing off for the crowd factor.

Greg

Return to “Kitesurfing”