Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wind in Florida in Late December/Early January?

Forum for kitesurfers
Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind in Florida in Late December/Early January?

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:49 pm

noel wrote:Matheson Hammock is one of the best flat water spots in Miami. True! But you also have to deal with the other 50-100 kites in the sky with beginners and schools in the mix of a pretty small area. The launch is just big enough to fit 15-20 kites but there is still 50 or more kites there if it is good. @1 ft. away from the launch is the parking lot. MH is a great place to go if you can't come to the keys and must stay in Miami.

Nothing like Whale Harbour in the Keys :wink:

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:16 pm

True enough. But we were not talking about Whale Harbor. At WH, if there is more than 20 kites in the sky, there is probably a contest or camera guy there. At MH, if there is more than 30 kites in the air, it's normal. WH does have a small launch but it is not the only launch.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 am

Miami has other riding spots and they are very nice. Just as the keys does.

And hey...my spot is better then your spot and my board is bigger then your board.

But when you close your statement with MH is a great spot to go if you can't come to the Keys? Cmon, your gonna get some shit.

No hard feelings and I hope you have none either.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Wow!! I didn't say my spot was better than your but I bet my board is bigger than yours. Matheson is very crowded, am I wrong?

I don't care if you come here or not. I answered a question that no one else has answered still and you give me shit for it. If there is something I missed, please let us know.

Your being petty. Hatteras is a great place to go if you can't go to Peru. SO! Who's mad at me now.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:22 am

LOL. No flamers paradise for this post.

Think I spoke to you a time or two out in the Keys. Maybe Ill see you again. Good luck.

And......my spot is better then your spot :argue:

See ya dude.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Noel was actually so helpful, I gave him a call and he gave me TONS of info on the Keys so props to him, keep the thread nice please no beef here. Any other info from floridians?

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:02 am

A view from the beach at Whale Harbor

Key West is also an option. Like Miami there are things to do on non windy days, but in Key West everything is within walking distance.

There is really only one beach I know of that you can kite off of. Smathers beach gets wind from NE,E,SE,S and there is flat water to be had. The ultimate flat water is to the Northwest and is only accessible by boat. You can rent a boat or contact the Kitehouse.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 am

Yes. Miami and the Florida Keys have some incredible spots. :wink:

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Videos?p=1&v=10

Don't worry Fckgravity. Its just a little ribbing and all fun. If you cant trash talk a little what fun can you have. Your post still stayed true and I think provided you some usefull information. I think St. Pete/ Tampa area also has some relaly incredible flatwater riding. Check out the RickI FKA kite forum website and he has alot of riding info.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:00 pm

St. Pete has some insane flat water spots for sure, but just so-so winds in terms of consistency, imo. It's my opinion that many people overestimate how much wind (how often we get it) is in St. Pete.

2 years ago we had a phenomenal winter with really good timing for 9 to 5'rs.
It blew 17 weeks in a row (cold fronts)... and every single one came through on a Sat/Sun.
That had never happened before. I think that left a skewed impression of wind for people that haven't been watching it here that long, or are new to the sport. Last winter wasn't nearly as good as the prior.

If this place had more wind (more consistent and predictable), trust me, myself or someone else would have opened a nationally recognized kite school here (think Real) by now, and advertised it and banked. St. Pete is the ultimate destination for a guy with a family that wants lessons, because there is so much more to do here than kite. Disney/Seaworld is fairly close too. Easy sell to family guys (over Hatteras) because their family has so many options and we are 20 minutes from TPAirport.
Unfortunately, most of the time here for the kiter would be spent waiting on wind, not receiving a lesson. That is why no one reading this can name the "Real" of Tampa Bay or sees ads guaranteeing awesome wind and a great time for the kids, too. Unfortunately the wind wouldn't hold up to your claim and can't support such an operation that draws out of towners in hopes of hitting wind on a 2/3 day stay.

The fact is, year after year, I see instructors struggle to fit in an average of two days a week of water lessons (if they have the integrity to not teach a water lesson in sub 13 knots) for their local lessons.

More (evidence)... if the wind were more reliable, consistent, predictable - we would have been able to have more events last year be successful (across Florida) and not delayed weekend after weekend, and would probably also have a race series in this area, as well.
A race every Thursday night (?)... in St. Pete, yeah, right. :-? I ain't driving to wherever just to sit there in the parking lot and pray for wind. :cry:

Anyway, I love St. Pete and riding here. :cool2: :thumb: But unfortunately, this is not the home of consistent wind. Economics would have supplied a major kite school here by now if it was and some of the best national events would be held here in the winter, due to our warmth and other stuff to do.

I am not trying to be a downer, just trying demonstrate that this place is hit or miss, especially for one chosen week. If wind were more a guarantee, the local scene would reflect that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”