Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

2009 Kite Prices

Postby ktflyer381 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Here is are what some of the most popular 2009 kites cost, I used a 12m size as a reference:

Cabrinha Switchblade IDS 12m $1789
Slingshot Rev2 11m $1749 / 13m $1849
Naish Helix 12m $1749
North Rebel 12m $1749
Liquid Force Havoc 12m $1699
Best Nemesis HP 12m $1399 (no one pump)
Ocean Rodeo Rise 12m $1564

I'm not sure what the companies think the market can bear, but this is ridiculous. I dealt with a really good local dealer who gave me a bit of deal on some 2008 Cabrinha kites, but they were still expensive. The 2009 prices are simply not on. I'm not cheap, I make enough money and I have a secure enough job that I could buy a new quiver of kites if I want to, I just don't feel that I am getting the value for the money. This is especially true if you look at some of the problems that the new kites are having despite the high prices. These problems are well publicized on this and other forums.

I understand the reasons for the high prices are the cost of fuel and increases in production costs in Asia. Well, my job is certainly not to make anyone in Asia rich. Figure out a better way of doing business to get the costs down and the quality up.

In the end, the only say I have in this is where and when I will spend my money. At the 2009 prices I will be buying at the end of the season at a deep discount - and that will probably be at the end of the 2010 season.

prwinds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2009 Kite Prices

Postby prwinds » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Kiteflyer,
Your correct, companies have been putting oveinflated prices on kites. All you hear about prices going up etc, is true but the difference in price is not meant to inflate the prices by 200 even 400 on some kites.

Check out kite companies like Griffin Kiteboarding.
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/2583338[/vimeo]

http://vimeo.com/2583338

Superb flying kites, super though construction quality, molded rubber bumpers, unequalled response and handling. I did a small low quality video just to show some basic materials Griffin offers, its amazing when you compare to most brands so called super tough construction and materials.

2009 Griffin 12m - COMPLETE with bar, lines(20m+5m extensions), bag, repair kit and pump. Plus a 1 year warrenty against materials and workmanship.
$849.00

This is only possible because they ship direct to us dealers, saving money and valuable resources. Griffin has been doing so ever since they started back in 2002 in Australia. Its now where you can see how well it has worked.

You have to try them, they are kites that perform better than most kites out there. Kite companies have to look for way to save money and spend wisely to bring some saving to customers. If the only thing they do to keep up with the economy is inflate the prices, they have much to loose. There are challenges in this recession, I believe this impact will have good effects to manufacturers if they actually try to do something about it and change their ways.

Good winds!
Francisco
www.soloviento.com

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:51 pm

I am a retailer and you might want to go check on you pricing. it's completely wrong. Looks like you just searched the internet and for some of your products you have retail prices listed and for other you have MAP listed. minimumadvertised price. Anyway just saying that data is pretty much useless unless all you are trying to say is kites are expensive.

Stefaans

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:06 pm

The prices are all very similar online, and usually MSRP is listed, but if you have some better info on pricing, please post! I am in no way affiliated with any brand, this is not an attempt to say one brand is better than another. My point was that 2009 kites seem to be very expensive.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:19 pm

And yet, at least in the UK, the second hand market has all but collapsed. There are 08 kites flown maybe once or twice, in perfect or near perfect condition, going for GBP 250-300 ($325-450). If you are prepared to buy second hand there are amazing bargains to be had.

BA

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:00 pm

I guess the deal is if you are not a pro rider you probably don't need the latest 09 gear. If you are a pro rider then you get a deal on the 09 gear. if you are not a pro rider the 08 gear will be more than enough for you and you can definately get a good deal out there. AlI am saying is there is a good deal out there for everybody and if you want to buy the latest 09 kites go ahead and buy it. you might be working on going upwind still but if you have it buy it why not.
All I am saying is there is a good deal out there for everybody!

hobie1463
Rare Poster

Postby hobie1463 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Those prices are the prices we paid last year here in australia. Those prises are now around $400 more expensive this year.and next year with the dollar they will be $400 up again.They will never sell.

Try looking at other Brands (not the big ones) Like Blade. Last time I looked they were around $700 usd.

Yes I agree Kites are getting out of control. But remember Company's can only charge what they market will tolerate. so when they get over priced no one will buy forcing the price down.

Company's get blinded by (we sold this many last year) So when they have hundreds of kites still in stock they will re think there pricing.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:56 pm

Best is $1498 ....$1149 plus $349 bar

And Stefaans. Those are the prices. Unless your referring to the typical 10% off that we get but have to ask for. That doesnt count in this scenario because we got that same 10% on 2008 kites last year as well. SO the increase is real.

Oh well. At least you can go out for a fun day on the water and dont have to pay for gas.

Merry Christmas to everyone. May your stockings be stuffed with kites and boards.

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:43 am

My prediction is that the kite market is about to crash, hard. I hate to be a pessimist but looking at what is happening with the auto markets and other manufacturing sectors around the world it is easy to imagine the same problems affecting the kite market. Kitesurfing equipment is not an essential item and is usually purchased with left over cash after all of the other necessities are purchased. Sure I know there are a few that will skip food for the latest kite on the market but I am talking about the rest of us with a family and responsibilities.

I am doing okay. I still have a job and I am not in danger of losing my job right now but my investments took a big hit so I am working on increasing my cash position at the moment. This means that 2009 is going to be the year that I skip buying a new quiver. Unless I destroy a kite or a board I am going to stick with my same gear until 2010.

I hate to see anyone fall on hard times or go out of business but there are a lot of kite companies that hit the market in the last couple of years and unless they have a lot of cash in the bank, 2009 is going to be a very tough year for them. I predict that a number of the smaller companies are either going to go out of business of be purchased by larger companies and that there are going to be some big sales before next summer as companies try and dump their inventories.

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

gtoppino
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach
Style: RideStyle
Gear: Waroo 2007 11 mts
Cult 2008 13.5 mts
CrossBow 2006 16 mts

Postby gtoppino » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:59 am

I think we've already talked about this topic.
You can find gear never used 08 on eBay for $650 to $850, so you have to be crazy to buy 09 gear at retail prices. Let's wait a couple of months and let' see what happend, i'm pretty sure prices are going to be down like slingshot LINK.

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”