Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please! Be responsible!

Forum for kitesurfers
tulumkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Playa del carmen, Coco beach.Quintana Roo.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete Kite Beach D.R.
Isla Blanca Mexico
Coco Beach mexico
Style: Old School, Big Air, ^ freestyle.
Gear: EH Cabarete Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Cancun, Mayan Riviera
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Please! Be responsible!

Postby tulumkite » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Hello guys,
well, It´s sad to see that every day, apparently there is more and more deaths envolving kiteboarding...
and this makes you wonder WHY???
if day by day, the equipment gets safer, and with more safety features then before,
the problem relies, in those people that believe that just because they have bought the kite now they have the right to learn on their own,,,,( wether was cheap or expensive kite...)

however---I don´t see anybody buying SCUBA equipment and go learning how to dive on their own....
I have no point here, this is just thought that came out of my mind,,,
just please, assist those, who insist in making our sport look bad...
thank you

and condolences to all the families ....

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Re: PLease! Be responsible!

Postby Feng » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:08 pm

tulumkite wrote: however---I don´t see anybody buying SCUBA equipment and go learning how to dive on their own
As you do not see anyone buying a paraglider and go learning to fly on their own.

The differences is:
Deep water (Scuba), Sky (Paragliding) are not the natural human elements.
So people are afraid so they take lessons.

Waking on a beach with the kite at 12 seems close enough to the normal human element.
so people are not afraid so some think that they can go ahead on their own. :(

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm

more riders.... more accidents...

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 pm

go to the beach at a nice sunny 15 knots day. just sit down and watch the theatre begin. its incredible what hapens on the water with all beginners thinking they got the right to do everything like normal random kiters. the spots are full of kooks not knowing what they do. and when you get to them to tell them to stop the shiat they are doing they get anoyed and say that you were a beginner once as well.

obviously i cant say its no wonder so many accidents hapen cause even an experienced kiter can get into a shitty situation he didnt cause...BUT if you look at the spots it is no wonder so many accidents hapen.

just take a look around how many iteschools there are. every week/weekend they teach like how many students? in average maybe 5-10? sum that up and there goes your answere.

kiting IS an extreme sport, but its made accesable much too easy so it became "mainstream" and the ppl dont see the danger anymore.

....like i said, too many kooks

IMO

woolvy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Podersdorf rules...
Gear: JN Kites

Postby woolvy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

tulumkite wrote:,
... , who insist in making our sport look bad...
pls don't get me wrong but maybe the sport should look sorta bad, so people take the :baby: funny kite :baby: flying more serious and those who are not in the physical or mental conditon will avoid the risks of this sport.

hosko
Rare Poster

Postby hosko » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Even if new people get 3-4 lessons they still are going to struggle on their own. It is silly to think even people who have had lessons won't struggle to begin with. How do you expect people to learn??

People should get lessons but eventually you have to be able to do it on your own.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Back in the day, lots of people did just that. They tried to teach themselves to SCUBA dive and even hang glide. They had to first build their hang glider from plans from the back of Popular Mechanics of course in the 1970's. Then off to the hills and mountains, without hang straps, secondary hang straps, reserve chutes, stall resistant gliders, helmets, knowledge of weather and basic aerodynamics, needed but ignored critical maintenance, i.e. clueless sheep in mutton season. SCUBA divers in the 1960's might meet a friend at the beach, be shown how to hook their regulator up, likely backwards, blow a few o rings, then head out. Remember don't go up too fast, not sure how fast that is. Don't hold your breath came later. Some even said, you didn't need swimming skills to SCUBA dive (sound familiar?).

We dropped like flys, back in the day.

In time procedures, training (certification), safety systems and maintenance routines were adopted and popularized and the loss rate dropped and leveled out. Instruction also including guidance on how to progress in your development with reasonable safety AFTER certification/training. Not just throwing clueless newbie divers and pilots out there in all conditions. They had a plan and that is what they imparted with effect, thankfully.

Are we there yet? Doesn't seem like it.

Kitelifer
Rare Poster
Gear: Boards- Jimmy Lewis 6'1, OR Zen, Cab Cutom, Nobile NHP

Kites- Switchblades, RPMS, Nomads

Postby Kitelifer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

otte wrote:go to the beach at a nice sunny 15 knots day. just sit down and watch the theatre begin. its incredible what hapens on the water with all beginners thinking they got the right to do everything like normal random kiters. the spots are full of kooks not knowing what they do. and when you get to them to tell them to stop the shiat they are doing they get anoyed and say that you were a beginner once as well.

obviously i cant say its no wonder so many accidents hapen cause even an experienced kiter can get into a shitty situation he didnt cause...BUT if you look at the spots it is no wonder so many accidents hapen.

just take a look around how many iteschools there are. every week/weekend they teach like how many students? in average maybe 5-10? sum that up and there goes your answere.

kiting IS an extreme sport, but its made accesable much too easy so it became "mainstream" and the ppl dont see the danger anymore.

....like i said, too many kooks

IMO
Very Very true, it seems more and more people are not taking lessons. More and more people are wearing god damn board leashes too. Just the other day i saw a kook walking up the beach, kite at 12, and dragging his board behind him on a leash, oh and no helmet. I hate to see the lack of respect people show for others around them and even their equipment, making the sport look bad. At least now at a lot of our beaches you cannot kite inside the bouys, which means the newbs have to find other places to learn. Tough luck i guess.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:37 pm

the key is a standard bar and better instructions on how to use it from the beginning.

To blame:

1. companies
2. instructors
3. the riders

So we need to start at the companies: standard bar colors, standard kook proof, and most important standard release. Once we have this, we can go for the instructors to starts with releasing the QR in any kind of weird situation. The riders need to be educated so releasing becomes a reflex.

Only then we will see less fatalities.

Time to work on #1 !

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:41 pm

snowkiting in bad weathers and winds learnt me to reach my QR in any position, blinded, underwater, with left/right hand in less than 2sec after the "whoooop, that might be bad"
reflex > thinking

Return to “Kitesurfing”