Forum for kitesurfers
bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Torn between which style board to buy.

Postby bavdrftr318 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:34 am

So I weigh 180 and have a 131x40 Nobile 555. Some people think that this is a little on the small size for my weight. What do you guys think?

If this is the case, I'm torn between buying a bigger twintip (maybe 136 or so) and buying a surfboard.

The reason I'm torn between these two options is because if I will have more fun riding a bigger twintip (if that IS the case...) I feel like I need one.

On the other hand it would really be nice to have a light wind weapon (surfboard) that I could also ride in waves if there are big waves out. My main problem is that you can't jump a surfboard which I think I might suck if I get the itch to boost.

What are some suggestions?

Henrythepeacock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: Everywhere
Style: Joyride
Gear: 7m 07 Best yarga
9m 07 Best yarga
Old 12m F-one c-kite
127cm 08 LiquidForce Recoil
138cm 08 LiquidForce Mission

Re: Torn between which style board to buy.

Postby Henrythepeacock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:22 am

If you ride straps only in decent wind don't bother with a bigger board. If your a boots guy get a large board. How much do you ride in the waves? Would a surfboard really justify this amount?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:00 am

Get the one that you think you would have the most fun riding.... it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

p.s.... I jump my directional 'cuz I use straps.... I can take my feet out of the straps as I ride, or put them in the straps for jumping.....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:56 am

bavdrftr318 wrote:So I weigh 180 and have a 131x40 Nobile 555. Some people think that this is a little on the small size for my weight. What do you guys think?

If this is the case, I'm torn between buying a bigger twintip (maybe 136 or so) and buying a surfboard.

The reason I'm torn between these two options is because if I will have more fun riding a bigger twintip (if that IS the case...) I feel like I need one.

On the other hand it would really be nice to have a light wind weapon (surfboard) that I could also ride in waves if there are big waves out. My main problem is that you can't jump a surfboard which I think I might suck if I get the itch to boost.

What are some suggestions?
there is a way in between...get a smaller surfboard, like Naish 5'4'' or Amundson customs...they'll hold up to some boosting, be fast, and have better low end than your 131....

Of course, I hate riding large TT's...and depending on the shape, a 136 isn't extremely different from the board you;re riding...btw. I don't really think 131 is too large for you...it really depends on what you like to do....

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:29 pm

I have a 132x39 Underground and it rocks in moderate to stronger winds. I weigh 180.

I also have a 5'1" directional for waves and very strong winds and a 148x35 TT for light winds and recently bought a longer surfboard for surfing and unstrapped riding.

Why would you limit yourself to one board. Get 3-4 and have loads of fun.

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:48 pm

OzBungy wrote:I have a 132x39 Underground and it rocks in moderate to stronger winds. I weigh 180.

I also have a 5'1" directional for waves and very strong winds and a 148x35 TT for light winds and recently bought a longer surfboard for surfing and unstrapped riding.

Why would you limit yourself to one board. Get 3-4 and have loads of fun.
haha because of that whole money thing....

So here is what I've got from this. As long as I ride straps (not bindings) I should stick with the 131 nobile for my twintip. And I wasn't sure but you actually can boost with a surfboard??? I thought they couldn't take a pounding?

Also me getting a surfboard would be just as much for lightwind riding as waveriding (not always around waves).

How drastic of a difference would a 6' surfboard be side by side with my 131 TT in light winds?

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 pm

no one?

Shmed
Rare Poster

Postby Shmed » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 pm

My two cents.

You can definitely boost with a strapped surfboard, as long as it's a kite specific surfboard, that is made/reinforced with stronger material. I have a Dereck Camacho custom and boost with it all the time, and most of the riders I see with directionals do a lot of boosting. Do a search and you'll see good discussions here about epoxy, glassing, etc in kitesurfboards.

A surfboard makes a big difference for lightwind riding. Depending on the board, many ride much faster and are floatier through the lulls, and point better upwind. You should ride one first and see-- it's a different kind of riding. I don't own a lightwind twintip, but I think that a surfboard makes those lightwind days (when there's probably not much boosting going on anyway), lots of fun carving etc.

A 6'0" surfboard is a totally different experience from a 131 twintip-- I think it's a good complement-- twintip for freestyle/tricks and powered up days, surfboard for lightwind, waves, and carving turns.

If cost is an issue, you may want to think about buying a used surfboard for cheap on craigslist/ebay etc. The board definitely could break, but you can use it for a while and figure out if you like directional riding. I'd go cheap though for a non-kiting surfboard-- you don't want to pay too much since it might break. Plus, if you decide to upgrade to a kiting surfboard that you can boost, you can probably sell it for close to the same cost.

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for the helpful info! I was looking at an 08 LF rawson skate. I've heard that they are really durable. I found one for less than 500 so I figure that might be a good deal....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 am

bavdrftr318 wrote:Thanks for the helpful info! I was looking at an 08 LF rawson skate. I've heard that they are really durable. I found one for less than 500 so I figure that might be a good deal....

it HIGHLY depends on what board...some will take just about anything you can throw at them...Naish 5'4'' and smaller...UG surfboard..the flat one, some of Amundson customs, and I am sure some otheres...check the board weight..if it is heavy it will usually be built a little tougher...I would not land hard on a surftech for instance..

I don't know how the Rawson board would hold up...sorry to introduce more boards into the equation...didn't see that until after...anyhoo...

You can definitely boost with surfboards...they are a little different than TT since you will not have pop...but you can go super powered, use small waves as ramps, and you'll go high as h$ll. If I come down a little too fast, I just kick it off...though my 5'4'' has been through a beating or 10....be careful as they catch the wind a little so point the tip a little into the wind...and it might even give you a little extra airtime :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”